Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you guys shipping Wheels
Quote | Reply
Was getting an estimate to ship a set of wheels to another slowtwitcher in California when I was quoted $400 to ship and insure them .WTF. I'm hesitant to use a certain shipper because of problems with in paying claims but when Postal Connections quoted me $400 to ship FedEx Ground I was blown away
Quote Reply
Re: How are you guys shipping Wheels [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ship my wheels in a wheel box. UPS Ground is about $50.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you guys shipping Wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I ship my wheels in a wheel box. UPS Ground is about $50.

ever have them actually pay a claim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In bicycle wheel box. Around $46 to SoCal via FedEx Home Delivery from where I live.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you guys shipping Wheels [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
In bicycle wheel box. Around $46 to SoCal via FedEx Home Delivery from where I live.

Just got quoted a hundred and eighty by UPS Pennsylvania must be expensive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shipped a set of wheels from California to Florida using FedEx Home Delivery for $40.22. This was an eBay sale and the FedEx label was created and paid through eBay. Shipping weight was 13 pounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$40-60 fully insured seems to be the going rate I pay for shipping wheels in the lower 48 states.

the key is to get a good wheel box to ship in, they provide the smallest form factor and best security/protection for the wheels.

Zipp's boxes are the best I have seen, but Stan's no tubes is pretty good as well and most bike shops have a wheel box or two on hand these days.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never pay for extra insurance.

I have shipped thousands of pairs of wheels and have never had loss or damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you getting the $180 quote at a UPS Store?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikeflights.com

It's FedEx but at a massive discount. I just got a set of wheels 2 day shipped from Florida to PA ($22) + home pickup from the shipper ($5) + $400 worth of insurance ($5)

So $32 for a double wheel box 2-day delivered, pickup, and insurance. Really can't beat bikeflights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this same question about shipping in general. I have a ton of stuff I want to post in the classifieds, but every time I look up shipping on even the small stuff it's crazy high. I can't seem to figure out how people are shipping stuff for so cheap. Clearly I'm doing it wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you guys shipping Wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Are you getting the $180 quote at a UPS Store?

Yes the 180 was at a store and I would consider yourself lucky I've only ever shipped and received two pair of Wheels and the first pair were very damaged and claim never paid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had a frame and wheelset shipped to me on two separate occasions, and both used BikeFlights. The shipping prices were very reasonable. The bike was $45 (IIRC), and the wheels were $35. The guy who shipped the wheels got an old double wheel box from a bike store, wrapped 'em up, and sent them. Arrived perfectly. I think that BikeFlights also has boxes they can supply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The UPS Stores are privately owned and can charge whatever they want.

Go to ups.com and open up your own account to get the real rates. They will even send you shipping labels for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 on bikeflights. Have used in the past and very reasonable. Insurance is also minimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard of Postal Connection; must be owned by Active or Ticketmaster at those rates.
I've used wheel boxes from a bike shop; $30-40 or so for the two sets I've shipped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Omg, please do not pay 400$ to a local store for that! Go to Fedex.com and Ups.com, create accounts at both and run an estimate. If you are shipping within the domestic 48 US states, I'd be floored to see more than 60$ personally. It's super easy too - just setup the shipment online, print a label, and you'll get billed after delivery. The "UPS" stores and Fedex locations will gladly take pre-labeled items. FedEx "Office" stores are company owned and have standard rates. "The UPS Store" and similar are all privately owned and charge whatever... including fees for any and everything.

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Was getting an estimate to ship a set of wheels to another slowtwitcher in California when I was quoted $400 to ship and insure them .WTF. I'm hesitant to use a certain shipper because of problems with in paying claims but when Postal Connections quoted me $400 to ship FedEx Ground I was blown away

If you use the newer two wheel boxes that measure about 34x27x9 you can ship USPS Express Mail overnight for around $50.
Quote Reply