Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Long Have You Been Doing This...
Quote | Reply
Just out of my curiosity I have three questions:

1. How long have you been doing multisport?

2. Did you take time off? Why? And if so when did you jump back in.

3. What keeps you going.

This question isn't exclusively for age-groupers nor is it just for triathletes. Runners, swimmers and cyclists, feel free to post a reply.
Quote Reply
Re: How Long Have You Been Doing This... [polynice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
polynice wrote:

1. How long have you been doing multisport? 18 years

2. Did you take time off? Why? And if so when did you jump back in. Nope, train 12 months a year

3. What keeps you going. I feel this is the best thing I can do to try and not get cancer and other bad stuff.

This question isn't exclusively for age-groupers nor is it just for triathletes. Runners, swimmers and cyclists, feel free to post a reply.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. About a year and a half
2. No, just got started
3. Right now its finishing IMWI, but also seeing how much Ive improved both in speed & just overall fitness (took about 5-6 yrs off from exercise during/after college & got kinda fat/out of shape) is a pretty big motivator. Maybe if I stick with it, Ill be fast(ish) one day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dated a girl just after college back in the early 80s who did tris. I had a competition ski boat and she used to want me to idle along beside her while she did her open water swims. I have been hooked ever since I watched her smooth stroke along side of me! I enjoy the sport for the friendships of training partners and the fitness it provides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Since 2008. I was a cyclist before.

2) Only when injured, and then only time off from the sport I can't do which is usually running.

3) I like it and I have fun doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. How long have you been doing multisport? 3 years

2. Did you take time off? Why? And if so when did you jump back in. None yet

3. What keeps you going. I love the sport
Quote Reply
Re: How Long Have You Been Doing This... [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2008 was my first Sprint. This sprint had a beginner class which is unusual. I came from mountain bike racing so a 14 mile bike ride was a piece cake. Swim and run....yeah...not so much.

I haven't taken a break, although this year, I tuned it down a bit as I prep myself for my first IM next season.

What keeps me going? I saw my dad with his shirt off once. Scared the hell out of me. Now it's more about staying in shape and feeding my competitive spirit.

Quote | Reply
First tri was in '84

Took 20+ yrs off to raise family but continued to bike. Got back in 6 seasons ago.

3. What keeps you going.
Maintaining a healthy life style and tris are currently my drug of choice. That and I think I have un-diagnosed mental issues.

--------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: bhc: Jul 22, 14 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: How Long Have You Been Doing This... [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Since 1998 (16 years...still have the same wetsuit. Had to throw that in)
2) Raced bicycles only for a while in college. Later got a motorcycle and did that for a bit. Took 1-1/2 years mostly off when we had our daughter. Got back into it in 2011.
3) Got faster and set higher goals. I really like being more fit.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
polynice wrote:

1. How long have you been doing multisport? Did my first race in 1989 while in the Navy

2. Did you take time off? Why? And if so when did you jump back in. Nope

3. What keeps you going. I can't find any other hobbies I enjoy more than swimming, biking, and running.

trav

Quote | Reply
Since 1999

Not really, just several months due to injuries

I'm competitive and like racing. Although now when it comes to training it is a lot less structured than it was when I started. There were a couple years I really felt the burnout and thats when I quit being so structured and it has helped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my 8th year.

I haven't taken any time off.

I love swimming, biking, and running. I'd do it all much the same way even if it weren't for races.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. This is my 33rd consecutive year of racing triathlons

2. I have not taken time off (rarely a rest day)

3. It is woven into a healthy fitness lifestyle. It has changed and adapted over the years, but never wavered.
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jul 22, 14 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I entered a mountain ironman in 1980 but never raced due to a family ilness.
my firt tri was in 1991. I retired a few months ago. It still occupies a lot of my alleged mind. Most of my friends are trigeeks from 15 to nealy 80. From podium to last finisher.From canada USA new zealand and europe. I love tri and all the awesome people

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since 1998 - triathlon. Cyclocross since 2005. Also running races, tried a few bike races.

nope.

3. What keeps you going.

At first I started because I didn't want to be like my overweight parents. Then I got addicted. I'm faster now than I have ever been. I've made lots of friends and met tons of really cool people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 years.... God that's depressing... No wonder I'm tired.
Qty, length and race format changes as events take my interest but no breaks as such... Training eb's and flows to match the events and intensity's / duration required....
Started after mtb racing injury forced swimming... Was already running so there was the 3... Seemed silly not to race.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Since 1999

Yes, went through divorce, lost a younger sister to cancer, lost a 20y job, moved to the USA, got remarried...triathlon wasn't really a priority during that time. Glad to say I am back in it this year, doing lots of tri's and feeling pretty good again.

3. What keeps you going.
The social aspect and the competitive side of me wants to compete ..even if it's at a slow level :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 21 years (since I was 12)
2. No
3. What else would I do with my time?? Admittedly training is a bit more of a struggle with a family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since 1989

Yes, moved country, new job, 2 kids. It was easier to only run. With hindsight I could have taken a shorter break

3. What keeps you going.
I just love the variety and the spirit, but it's different in different races (type, size). I now do a variety during the year or Ironman, ultra Swimrun, ultra marathon, trail run, mountaineering, cyclocross.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First triathlon in August 1984 and never taken a break. Was competitive runner before that, college/high school and started triathlons summer after graduating from college even though I still competed on the road circuit in running for a few more years.. Take a break? Why would I, its what I love to do. Always different motivations.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 33 years
2. I cut way back while working on my Master's
3. I get bored doing just one sport. I age up next year.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. 13 months

2. Not yet and my basketball and golf is suffering.

3. Quest to get faster. Repeated my first tri from last year and was 24 minutes quicker this year. Keeps me motivated and in great shape(at least for me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.First triathlon in 1988. Did multiple olympic and sprint distance races for the next 8 years.

2.Took a 15 year hiatus to work, get married, and begin raising two daughters.

3.Back at it for the last 3 seasons because tris are too much fun to give up, and it gave me an excuse to purchase a new bike.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Last edited by: chxddstri: Jul 22, 14 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
polynice wrote:

3. What keeps you going.

1. Since...1983? 4?

2. Yes, currently in a 2ish year hiatus.

3. I vary between emphasizing multisport and martial arts, right now martial arts is in the ascendancy, but I plan on road and mtn bike racing again next season.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my first race in 1985 on a dare. Have been in the sport ever since. Nice to see Mike Plumb answer this, did a lot of the races in the south with him in Florida, Alabama & Georgia. I remember the one in Gulf Shores AL.that he routinely won every year, forget what it was called?

Took several years off during my hip injury & subsequent repair but am good to go now and really missed being healthy.

What keeps me going is the fact that it is a way of life that you take for granted until you're sitting on the sidelines wishing you could be out there. The people in our sport are some of the best out there and I always thought it was a little like playing golf, where each time out I'd like to do it a little better than last time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next