Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How Important is the "Look"
Quote | Reply
How important to you is the look of how good your gear is?

Ranging from running shoes, to goggles to bikes and everything in between.

Bascially, how much more are you willing to pay for something with the same functionality but it just looks cooler?
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [ENP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Performance first, looks second. If 2 brands are the same performance but have different looks, I'll pay more for the better looking piece of gear. At the end of the day, Triathlon is not a fashion show. It's a battle between you, me, and the clock and I want to go as fast as possible.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 18, 14 9:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo's have had the ugliest paint jobs in the bicycle business and they are the top selling tri bike every year. That's how important ''the look'' is.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal fact: I will pay more for things that are matte black.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:

I will never understand the people like you haha

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 18, 14 9:54
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Cervelo's have had the ugliest paint jobs in the bicycle business and they are the top selling tri bike every year. That's how important ''the look'' is.

Have to agree with one exception. The 2005 P3-SL is a classic and beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:

Bascially, how much more are you willing to pay for something with the same functionality but it just looks cooler?

For, me it's all about the style. A lot of people talk about the "most aero this and that" or the wheel with the best yaw #'s and it's all a buch a horse poop anyway so might as well just pick nice looking stuff becasuse you will enjoy it more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to admit if I don't like the way it looks I will generally not purchase it!

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Got any actual data to back that up? BTW, Kona bike count does NOT equal top selling bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Nick B wrote:

I will never understand the people like you haha

I won't necessarily pay more but I love it. The only thing not black on my tri bike is the white athletic tape on the extensions since I couldn't find my roll of black. Once the white was on and filthy though I couldn't change it (yes I said filthy and still is!) Being the only white part it just seemed so intentional, like it served a special purpose.

Current frame is gloss black, I may take it a part shortly and satin it though.

I have black wheels on all my cars too.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [broncotw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
broncotw wrote:
Have to admit if I don't like the way it looks I will generally not purchase it!

Yep. I won't purchase something JUST because it looks good. But if it works well and is ugly, I'll look for something almost as good that looks better.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
broncotw wrote:

Yep. I won't purchase something JUST because it looks good. But if it works well and is ugly, I'll look for something almost as good that looks better.

I can't look myself in the mirror & honestly deny this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've ever seen any of my race photos, you'd know that I don't care too much about looks...and from the looks of others' race photos, they don't either! :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ENP wrote:

A much bigger factor than I'd like to admit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I try to keep things at least a little coordinated with my racing kit but otherwise I'm more concerned with how I look when I'm on the podium later.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I try to be fast, but if all else fails, I strive to look good.

Bling is the thing.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:

For, me it's all about the style. A lot of people talk about the "most aero this and that" or the wheel with the best yaw #'s and it's all a buch a horse poop anyway so might as well just pick nice looking stuff becasuse you will enjoy it more.

I'm having a hard time thinking about going back to ski bends from s bends purely from an aesthetic stand point even if it seems they usually (always??) test better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

That, plus a shitload of advertising and peer influence. I think those that say they buy a cervelo - or whatever - entirely on performance are delusional, naive or both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that the standards for triathlon equipment have gotten so much better that the differences in speed are nearly negligible to all but the fastest amateurs in comparison to other variability in performance (I fall in this category), looks are the predominant factor when I buy something tri-related.

I will however get something uglier if it really doesn't function that well. For example, the rear-bottle holders on my seat just didn't work well for me - constant bottle ejections even with gorilla cages, so those went by the wayside. Too much splashing with the aerodrink between the bars - swapped for an regular plain vanilla bottle holder.

But for most of the other stuff, like bike frame, running shoes, tri outfit, it's ALL about the looks. Even my race wheels, which I tell myself, give me a chance to podium (I'm usually very close if I miss it), are still all about the looks in all honesty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was going to be a Lance Armstrong thread.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

That, plus a shitload of advertising and peer influence. I think those that say they buy a cervelo - or whatever - entirely on performance are delusional, naive or both.

Show me data that says Cervelo's are slower. Even Trek and Felt can't say that.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I thought this was going to be a Lance Armstrong thread.

Ha!! I thought the same thing!!

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

I am neither delusional nor naive and I buy a Cervelo tri bike nine times out of ten because of its performance.
Quote Reply
Re: How Important is the "Look" [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm saying buying a cervelo - or any other item - is a consumer decision. Sorry. It's not all about performance. It's about a consumer good. The reasons and influences on why we as triathletes buy a certain thing probably share more in common with the reasons or influences we buy a certain brand of toaster or car or toilet than they do with pure performance. Sheeeeiit ... even Cervelo's brand message (or whatever marketers call it) on the chain stay appealing to the 'Engineering' is devised in appeal to a certain emotion, create a response or influence a certain type of buyer.

But to the post, the IA and Dimond have shown better numbers, haven't they?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I love passing the guys that go out of their way to style themselves on a $10,000 bike with all the newest gear. That being said, if I had the money to spare, I'd probably do the same. Looking good is a perk, but speed is where it's at. Speed looks good.

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next