Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays
Quote | Reply
I'm in Houston tomorrow and Wednesday evening. Staying in downtown Houston and would love to jump in on a group ride. Anyone have any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to check out the Pearland Cycling Club. I know there are a few that ride during the week, but I don't know pace since I'm working during the week. Check with Bike Barn or Bicycle World, two local shops that might be able to point you in the direction of some weekday group rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump for any other suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikesport does about a 20-25 mile ride through town on Wednesday evening starting at 6 (or at least they used to). They aren't too far from downtown - over by Greenway Plaza area (basically Edloe and W Alabama). Give them a call to make sure they are going this Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Death Ride leaves from Memorial Park (the meet up point is the "Picnic Loop" which you can find on google maps by looking for a loop of the road Picnic Lane) not far from downtown at 6:00 every Tuesday and Thursday night. It is a fun, fast ride that is generally fairly well attended. Lots of red lights (sprints) with a few long straightaway sections.

There is also the West End Ride that leaves from the West End Bicycle Shop (West End Bikes – 5427 Blossom Street, Houston, TX 77007) that leaves at 6:30. This is a more traditional "shop" ride with different pace groups (whereas Death Ride is a free for all drop fest). Some people do 1 lap of the death ride, then split off with the West End guys at one point in downtown. I have not done this, but just ask around as a number of guys from Death Ride might be doing that as well and you can follow.

Blue Line Bike Shop (Blue Line Bike Lab - 3302 White Oak Drive Houston, TX 77007) leaves at 6pm on Wed.

Sugar Cycles (5330 Texas 6, Missouri City, TX ) has a ride on Wed that leaves at 5:30 I believe, but that might be a tad far for you to drive (well south of Houston).

Quote | Reply
West End bikes does a group ride Tuesdays/Thursdays. Starts at their shop on Blossom Street and actually goes through downtown - give them a call to make sure it's happening.

http://www.bikehouston.org/...-ride-tue-thu-630pm/
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
You may want to check out the Pearland Cycling Club. I know there are a few that ride during the week, but I don't know pace since I'm working during the week. Check with Bike Barn or Bicycle World, two local shops that might be able to point you in the direction of some weekday group rides.
No formal weekday rides out of Pearland. If only in town a couple of days, rather than getting dropped on a ride and lost in Houston, an hour or so at the "fruit loop" at Memorial chasing rabbits can be an excellent workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give Shama Cycles a call. They have a ride almost every morning out of Memorial Park area.
Not that far from Downtown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're not going to be in la porte/pasadena/deer park by chance, are you? i ride with a group twice a week out there. usually end up averaging around 19-ish including the soft pedaling parts. 28 miles total.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
I'd just do loops at Memorial park, like Tigermilk suggested. If you just want some safe miles at ez pace, from DT its easy to cruise the hike-n-bike trails in Memorial park, or take the TAP Columbia Rails to Trails route South to Braes Bayou and ride that trail out and back to Gesner. You can get a 30+ mi ride off of city streets by combining TAP and Braes Bayou trails from DT. 3rd ward looks sketchy, but I've never had a problem on the bike trail - I'm almost positive the dead body they were removing near the trail ~4 years ago was an OD.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [jasondubose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. I'm constrained to downtown. Staying at the Hilton. I'm gonna try the Memorial ride this evening. I need some intensity. I have a small stage race this weekend to get ready for. If I get dropped, I have a GPS to get back. And I'll get to see the city a little. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Say "this is critical mass, right?" When you roll up to the group. Haha

-Jason
Quote | Reply
jasondubose wrote:
Say "this is critical mass, right?" When you roll up to the group. Haha

I'll let you know how it goes. Should I make some cut off jeans and show up in flip flops? Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [Triattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips, Triattorney. I was going to try to hit the Memorial Park ride, but ended up getting out of my workshop a little too late, so I met the group at West End. I've never experienced such a wild group ride:

Red light, SPRINT, chase, close gaps, and hope to hit some green lights. At the next red light everyone who you just had to close gaps around swarms to the front and the process is repeated over, and over and over. It was a great training ride for criterium racing!

I am glad I don't have to ride that sort of route every day, but it was a very cool experience riding through downtown Houston. Thanks again for the recommendations.
Quote Reply
Houston, TX Road Route? [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for a route that will take me from intersection of TC Jester and 610 in the Northwest. Prefer not to ride with a group since my schedule is not predictable. I heard memorial is a good loop, any thoughts on a safe route between jester/610 and picnic loop?
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Road Route? [txtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picnic loop gets old (used to be called the "fruit loop"), but it is mostly safe. Near TC Jester and the Loop there are some Bayou trails. They cross some streets and can get clogged up on the weekend and evenings, but work for the most part. Cycling inside the Loop and even the beltway can be difficult. George Bush park is out west along I10, is another option. Good luck and ride safely!
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Road Route? [DexPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Any recommendations on pools out there? Looks like I will be back and forth from San Antonio for several months.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Road Route? [txtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For pools there are Dad's Club just outside the loop on 610 (you should be able to just drop in, but I always swam with a club), Memorial Athletic Club (MAC, which I have never used) out west, Lifetime fitness in City Centre has an indoor and outdoor pool and there are some YMCAs in the area that if you are a member at your local Y can get a discounted rate. If for some reason you find yourself around the Bellaire/Meyerland area check out Coog Masters (http://www.coogaquatics.org/...=57196&team=guhc). Greg is a great guy and coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [Triattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed you posted rides in Houston. Next week, I will be there all week and have flexibility. I need to get in long evening rides. Where are the best places for group rides?

Thanks

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [lsuwins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not too may long evening rides during the week. Most of the weeknight rides are short hammerfests (not conducive to TT bikes or any sort of real pace goals). What part of town will you be staying in? How many miles at a time? The further out you go, the higher chances of a group doing some sort of distance. If you can give a few more details, I will see what I can dig up for you.

If you decide you just want to ride and are "in town" then I would check out some of the rides listed above. Also, as was also mentioned above, the Shama Cycles folks do an EARLY morning ride almost every morning which I hear is pretty good. Just make sure to bring good lights for that one!

Quote | Reply
Triattorney wrote:
The Death Ride leaves from Memorial Park (the meet up point is the "Picnic Loop" which you can find on google maps by looking for a loop of the road Picnic Lane) not far from downtown at 6:00 every Tuesday and Thursday night. It is a fun, fast ride that is generally fairly well attended. Lots of red lights (sprints) with a few long straightaway sections.

There is also the West End Ride that leaves from the West End Bicycle Shop (West End Bikes – 5427 Blossom Street, Houston, TX 77007) that leaves at 6:30. This is a more traditional "shop" ride with different pace groups (whereas Death Ride is a free for all drop fest). Some people do 1 lap of the death ride, then split off with the West End guys at one point in downtown. I have not done this, but just ask around as a number of guys from Death Ride might be doing that as well and you can follow.

Blue Line Bike Shop (Blue Line Bike Lab - 3302 White Oak Drive Houston, TX 77007) leaves at 6pm on Wed.

Sugar Cycles (5330 Texas 6, Missouri City, TX ) has a ride on Wed that leaves at 5:30 I believe, but that might be a tad far for you to drive (well south of Houston).

Blue Line's Wed. ride leaves at Wed. 7pm, not 6pm.
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Houston, TX Roadie Group Rides Weekdays [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any of you guys here who are in the know about houston cycling have some advice for a group to get hooked up with to get into racing? I've got a very strong athletic background but new to cycling so I have a lot to learn snd would like to get riding with a team if I can
Quote Reply