Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app
Quote | Reply
Just setup my Tacx Neo Smart trainer and downloaded the Tacx cycling app for my iPad. How in the heck do you get ERG mode? The software recognizes the Neo and I'm getting power numbers but I can't find where you can control the power in ERG mode.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Nov 11, 15 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Wahoo app as well since I've been using it for 2.5 years with the KICKR and I could not get ERG mode to work on that either. It recognizes the Neo and displays power and cadence info but I cannot control the power.

Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a good start....

You have TR or PP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have Ant+ dongle - tacx doesnt work on BLE over TR or PP. Also check garmin ant agent is not working it messess things up

they have power mode and slope mode you want to choose power mode
Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not using TR or PP. Trying to get it to work on the Tacx and Wahoo iPad apps... so the Garmin ANT thing is not an issue. Bluetooth definitely works with the apps.

I see the power workout on the Tacx app but I can't get the program to control the Neo. Same with the Wahoo app.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Nov 11, 15 16:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding from asking around (I just got a Vortex Smart) is that while the Tacx Smart trainer will send your data to the head unit (whatever device you are using) and the app via BTLE, the app can only control the unit via ANT+. They are working on support to control the trainer in erg mode via BTLE, but it does not yet exist. Essentially, BTLE is currently a one way street from the device to the app, while ANT+ is supported as a two way street. My understanding is that both will be two way streets soon, but not yet.

Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Just to be really clear here, you can still use Bluetooth Smart to control the trainer with the default Tacx apps. And, you can use Bluetooth Smart to connect to the trainer and read power/speed/cadence from any 3rd party app today. It’s only control via Bluetooth Smart by 3rd party apps that’s lacking today.)

DC RAINMAKER'S review seems to say you can control the Neo with BT using the Tacx app.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is a heck of a lot more knowledgeable on these things than I am. If I can figure it out on my Vortex I will let you know.

Quote | Reply
i know why i hope...do you have by any chance garmin edge also connected to the trainer? Make sure app connects to the trainer first before garmin otherwise i also saw it non responsive. turn off the garmin and the app and then relaunch the app
Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no; i can confirm i had my tablet control the unit through BLE ... this was when i was waiting for new dongle
Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
i know why i hope...do you have by any chance garmin edge also connected to the trainer? Make sure app connects to the trainer first before garmin otherwise i also saw it non responsive. turn off the garmin and the app and then relaunch the app

Nothing connected to the trainer besides the app.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
then i am out of ideas.... sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any luck??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
R2 wrote:

Nothing connected to the trainer besides the app.

Did you ever get it sorted out??
Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been sick as a dog the last couple of days so haven't bothered with it.

I think I know what I may have done wrong. I *think* I have to hit a 'Play/Start' button on the app to start the workout for ERG mode to actually start working. Different from my experience with the Wahoo app and the KICKR where you can still run ERG mode while 'Paused.' Again, I haven't tried it since then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
I have been sick as a dog the last couple of days so haven't bothered with it.

I think I know what I may have done wrong. I *think* I have to hit a 'Play/Start' button on the app to start the workout for ERG mode to actually start working. Different from my experience with the Wahoo app and the KICKR where you can still run ERG mode while 'Paused.' Again, I haven't tried it since then.

Feel better... and keep us posted. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still can't get the iOS version of the app to do ERG mode. I can get the Android version to work. Not sure what's going on.

Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I still can't get the iOS version of the app to do ERG mode. I can get the Android version to work. Not sure what's going on.

Do you like the trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. It's got a nice feel to it. I like that it rocks a little bit so it has a better road feel than the KICKR. It's also a fair bit more quiet than the KICKR.

Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the most recent firmware for the trainer? With my Vortex Smart, Ant+ FE-C control / erg mode would not work without installing an upgrade. I had to borrow an iPhone to install it because Tacx has not released the update on any other platform.
Quote Reply
Re: Hopefully a quick question regarding Tacx smart trainers and the Tacx app [john.koch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the trainer is updated.

It appears to be more an iOS app version problem than a trainer problem as the Android app works just fine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get this to work? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Vortex. My plan was to use it this way - just with the app through iOS using Bluetooth. I was under the impression this should work fine and just came across this thread while searching for info on it.
Quote Reply