Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Home Repair Stand?
Quote | Reply
What is a good home cycle repair stand? I am eyeing Park Tools PCS 10 which retails for $159.00 at most places. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [ezzrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Park Tool PRS-20: Team race Stand.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [Laatste Ronde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Park repair stand that holds the bike at the fork and cradles the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Spin Doctor Pro G3 and it works pretty well for me.

http://www.performancebike.com/...66_-1_400152__400152
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any issues using that type of stand/clamp on carbon frames, or is it just a case of being really careful not to overtighten?

I have a Performance/Spin Doctor one that cradles the bottom bracket shell, but it doesn't work with my Plasma frame because of that "speed skeg" it has below the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever used the Park Tools PCS 10? I read that Park Tools does have a lifetime warranty and stand behind their products?
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never seen a bike shop where they use a stand that holds by the front fork and BB. I'm sure its safer, but I have a hard time believing its necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [bnation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. But, since getting mine, I could not be happier.

Going between two CX bikes, a TT bike, an aero road bike, and "regular" road bike is just so easy. The fact that it folds easily and sets up easy too is just bonus.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those are fine for tuneups, but I like the traditional frame clamp for any serious force on a wrench.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the ones that support the bottom bracket are slightly sturdier (keeping the bike still) while working on it. Makes cleaning the drivetrain a snap. HOWEVER, the ones that clamp the frame or seatpost are much more speedy and convenient for throwing your bike up for quick repairs and you dont have to take off the front wheel

Rattlesnake Blake
With the "Venom Enom"
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [Laatste Ronde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laatste Ronde wrote:
I love my Park Tool PRS-20: Team race Stand.

Same here.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [Rattlesnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rattlesnake wrote:
the ones that support the bottom bracket are slightly sturdier (keeping the bike still) while working on it. Makes cleaning the drivetrain a snap. HOWEVER, the ones that clamp the frame or seatpost are much more speedy and convenient for throwing your bike up for quick repairs and you dont have to take off the front wheel

Then seems like the PCS 10 fits the bill nicely for a $160 price range? Going to attempt to order something later today as a "christmas treat" for myself to get it delivered by Christmas. Local bike shops do not carry much in inventories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nashbar has their 'elite' or something stand on sale right now. It seems like a good deal.

I've been using a really old ultimate workstand or something like that. It doesn't have a quick clamp or anything, but for my home mechanicing, it does well.

The disadvantage of the clamp type stands is the high number of oddly shaped carbon tubes now. They might not work as well on a seat tube. Then you are left with clamping the top tube, which can be questionable as well.

The main disadvantage of the fork/bb type stands is that depending on what type of rear brake you have, they might not work so well with the stand.

Shop around, see what will work well.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO...Park makes 1000 fantastic tools. I'm slightly less impressed with their pumps and stands. My absolute fav is the Feedback Pro-Elite Workstand http://feedbacksports.com/...ke-Repair-Stand.aspx if you're going with the top tube-post clamp style then I believe this is the best.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ezzrider wrote:
What is a good home cycle repair stand? I am eyeing Park Tools PCS 10 which retails for $159.00 at most places. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you have a lot of carbon, consider a PCS 20 or 21. I have the 21 and it's pretty well made. It is however a bit of pain to always have to remove a wheel to use the stand. Especially with those !@&*#!(@ lawyers tabs. I've even considered getting a regular stand for quick work, but that would be overkill.

Feedback Sports stands which are comparable in price have a great reputation, but I haven't tried them. I have a few friends who love theirs though. I believe they do have some plastic parts but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Stay away for Topeak stands. Good ideas on paper, terrible execution. And I do love me some other Topeak products, but oh not their stands! I've had one and returned it very quickly.

YA
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The clamp is not a lever that you close up, you actually have to spin the adjustment out to put the frame in then spin it back in to get it to clamp.

Because of that you can feel how tight the clamping mech is while doing it. I can hold my Felt F5 and my Cervelo P2 tight enough to work on it without worrying about breaking the top tube.

With that said the clamp area is hard plastic and I normally put a towel between that and the bike to keep it from scratching it up.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bnation wrote:
I've never seen a bike shop where they use a stand that holds by the front fork and BB. I'm sure its safer, but I have a hard time believing its necessary.

The reason is because bike shops often work on bikes that don't have a quick release front wheel. Look at all the mechanics for pro road cycling teams and they all use the type of stand that mounts the fork and cradles the BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ezzrider wrote:
Rattlesnake wrote:

Then seems like the PCS 10 fits the bill nicely for a $160 price range? Going to attempt to order something later today as a "christmas treat" for myself to get it delivered by Christmas. Local bike shops do not carry much in inventories.

I just bought this same one. Although I have had a chance to put it to any serious use yet I can tell this is a very quality stand. Adjusment points and clamp are well made.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the Park, ended getting a "Feedback Sport" folding work stand for $120, it works great and folds\sets up in 30 seconds

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up with the pcs 9. Works great. Holds my 28lb xc bike and my carbon tri bike by the seatpost with no issues at all.

I've heard great things about the Feedback stands too.

Either way a home repair stand is a must have!
Quote Reply
Re: Home Repair Stand? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
IMHO...Park makes 1000 fantastic tools. I'm slightly less impressed with their pumps and stands. My absolute fav is the Feedback Pro-Elite Workstand http://feedbacksports.com/...ke-Repair-Stand.aspx if you're going with the top tube-post clamp style then I believe this is the best.

Ian

I checked my local bike shop that actually currently carries the Feedback Pro Elite Repair Stand. I can get it for about $210 tax included. I can get the Park Tool PCS 10 shipped to my house for $159.99. Is the Feedback Pro Elite worth the extra $60? I do see the Pro Elite does have 3 vs 2 legs and is made out of aluminum (I think). Do you know the adavantage of one over the other?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the PCS-9, I think and it's ok for 99% of what I need to do. I find the legs to be a little weird though. Maybe it's the same across all stands in that price range, but if you're torquing on your crank or at an odd angle the legs will lift up and the stand will shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aluminum might make the stand lighter, which you may or may not care for (are you going to travel with it?). Three legs make the stand more stable. Whether the extra $60 are worth it to you is really only for you to answer. Unless you eventually decide to switch to a Euro style stand, you probably will keep your stand forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PARK TOOL PCS-10
couldn't be happier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for everyone’s input. I purchased the Feedback Pro Elite repair stand today at my local bike shop. They had good things to say about the Park Tools PCS 10 stand but pointed out some of the benefits of the Pro Elite. After seeing the Pro Elite in the store with cycles on them I decided this was the one for me albeit a bit higher in price. I do really like the ease of putting up and taking down the stand and the quick attach and release of the bike holder. I liked the fact the stand had 3 legs vs 2 on the Park Tools PCS 10. I also believe the aluminum will be very durable (given hundreds of bike washes to come) and the stand seems very heavy duty. This will be a one time purchase to last a lifetime (I think). I also purchase the storage bag for the stand. Thanks again.
Last edited by: ezzrider: Dec 18, 13 12:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next