Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka Mach
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any further info on this model? Looks like a lightweight traditional Hoka. A lot like the original Clifton?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's pretty much a direct successor to the Clayton line, and very much like the original in terms of cushioning/stiffness/ride. We just got a shipment into the store today. The R-Mat outsole appears to be more durable than the C1/C2, the upper is now a knit-mesh (not sure I would wear sockless), the sock-liner fits much better into the shoe than either the C1 or C2, and, if anything, it feels even lighter. (However, I've only had true success with these models when I use an insert, so I won't be using the sock liner at all and it somewhat negates the weight savings). I was a huge fan of the C1 and this shoe is definitely on my to-buy list for this year
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any info on the new Nike Epic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What insert do you use?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A favorable review here: http://www.roadtrailrun.com/...-much-more-than.html

I'm looking forward to it. I liked the Clayton 1 very much, but the blister problems on my arches were frustrating. They changed the insole for my second pair, which was better but still not a total solution.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Superfeet Run Comfort (green, but not the original Green.) I started in Black, moved to Blue, and now found myself in their new Run Comfort line. I'm a fan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty much a direct successor to the Clayton line, and very much like the original in terms of cushioning/stiffness/ride. We just got a shipment into the store today. The R-Mat outsole appears to be more durable than the C1/C2, the upper is now a knit-mesh (not sure I would wear sockless), the sock-liner fits much better into the shoe than either the C1 or C2, and, if anything, it feels even lighter. (However, I've only had true success with these models when I use an insert, so I won't be using the sock liner at all and it somewhat negates the weight savings). I was a huge fan of the C1 and this shoe is definitely on my to-buy list for this year

Have they scraped the Clayton now? I doesn't appear on their website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the claytons are already super light - I have the v2 in size 48 - and they are jsut as light if not lighter than my pairs of race trainers
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have scrapped the Clayton as we knew it (as well as the Vanquish) for models in their new Sky line of shoes. However, the Mach is basically the Clayton 3
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
A favorable review here: http://www.roadtrailrun.com/...-much-more-than.html

I'm looking forward to it. I liked the Clayton 1 very much, but the blister problems on my arches were frustrating. They changed the insole for my second pair, which was better but still not a total solution.
I was loving the Clayton until I ran in it sockless. Not quite a blister but a nice red hotspot at the front, inside of my arch after the 5k run of a sprint triathlon. In frustration, I bought the Hupana. I haven't tried it sockless yet, but it may be the best running shoe I've had. I love it! So, now, I'm excited to try the new Mach. I'm hoping they consider a model with a Speed Instinct-like outsole for trails (SwimRun, is what I have in mind for them.)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And this new shoe allowed me to pick up a closeout Clayton 2 for $65. So now I won't have to worry if it's as good for months.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 How does the Mach fit compared to the Clayton? I wear size 12 in the tracer and the Hupana, and wear a 12.5 in the Clifton and Clayton.

Thank you!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mach fits almost identical to the Clayton in terms of length and width, but the sock liner fits much better in the shoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say it's very close, but the Mach might run 1/4 size smaller. I was between a 9.5 and a 10 in the original Clayton -- I had a pair of each and wore them with different socks -- and I'm definitely a 10 in the Mach.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
The Mach fits almost identical to the Clayton in terms of length and width, but the sock liner fits much better in the shoe

Much much better!

Ive got both 10 and 9.5 in the Clayton Kona 2 and the 9.5 Mach fits great, not arch rub like the previous Clayton’s. That said, much firmer ride to me than the Clayton’s. I found the c Kona 2 to be the perfect match of cushion and firmness, especially when pushing the pace. The Mach’s give a firm fast ride but I miss some cushioning. I’m really digging the Sketchers Go Run 6 right now...soft cushion, light, flexible and can go sock less easily with the knit upper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

jjstains wrote:

What inserts are you using, if I may ask? I’m running with Saucony Kinvara 7’s and a structured Superfeet Blue insole at the moment. But the Saucony’s are reaching their mileage, so I’m actively researching my next buy. Hoka Mach is the top contender at the moment, but as I rarely get to ask anyone using structured insoles as well, I wanted to hear your thoughts?
Last edited by: TurtleOnLand: Feb 26, 18 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [TurtleOnLand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sorry, I just realized you’d answered which insoles you use already. After a full day of researching the differences between Saucony Kinvara 8, Zealot, Hoka Clayton and Mach, I was so excited to read about someone using insoles as well that I didn’t read on.

But what is your take? Do you feel the Mach’s work well with structured insoles, compared to say Sauconys?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [TurtleOnLand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TurtleOnLand wrote:
I’m sorry, I just realized you’d answered which insoles you use already. After a full day of researching the differences between Saucony Kinvara 8, Zealot, Hoka Clayton and Mach, I was so excited to read about someone using insoles as well that I didn’t read on.

But what is your take? Do you feel the Mach’s work well with structured insoles, compared to say Sauconys?

So my regular running shoe is the Kinvara, currently running in the 8s, grabbed a pair of 6s at the Wolverine outlet for $25. I just bought the Mach's the came in today.

I was wondering, how often do people stick with Hoka or do they jump around for different purposes?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I jump around but always find my way back to Hoka at some point. Mainly for Ironman races... I'll use Saucony Ride, New Balance Zante or 1500 but when a race comes around, I'm always reaching for the 8oz Hoka... right now, The Mach.

FWIW...

The Mach is great. The upper isn't as nice as I would have hoped but you can see right through it, so it breathes well for long distance. The cushion isn't as plush as the Clayton but it isn't a deal breaker.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Mar 15, 18 14:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haven't run in them but just tried them on. Claytons are my racing shoe and I guess they are supposed to be similar, but they didn't feel that way. they felt roomier through the forefoot and this sounds strange but the bent funny across the top of my foot. Mental note: pick up some Claytons at runningwarehouse before they run out. I'm not a huge fan based on a walk around the store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka's advice is go one size down in the Fly range. I have an 11.5 in the Mach and wear a 12 in the Clifton/ Clayton/Tracer.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [owainmatthews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, first run in the Mach today, not bad.

What's the estimated max mielage? Can never seem to find that stuff.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I finally got around to trying the Mach (I liked the Clayton). First, I had to go down 1/2 size in the Mach over the Clayton. The issue I had on my 1st 5 mile run is irritation/blister/blood on top of my 4th toe joint. This appears to be at the bend of the shoe on toe-off right where the bottom of the tongue is sewn in. I don't ever recall having this in any shoes before. Any thoughts, advice, or solutions? Thank you,

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I had to go down 1/2 size in the Mach over the Clayton.
I don't ever recall having this in any shoes before. Any thoughts, advice, or solutions? Thank you,

Go up a 1/2 size???
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Mach [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Go up a 1/2 size???"
--------------------
They were like flippers, really!

David
Quote Reply

Prev Next