Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Hupana
Quote | Reply
Anyone see one of these in person yet? Hoka site says early Dec... heavier than Clayton, slightly lighter than Clifton 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a crappy LunaRacer knockoff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anyone tried these and can compare to the Clifton's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope those aren't metal eyelets like the Adidas Primeknit Boost Racers...really tough to fit any elastic laces through. Also, if this is a "knit" top...the tongue is likely thin where you can really feel any elastic lace press on the tendons, as well as the metal eyelets digging into the foot. At least that is what I noticed. I'd prefer some sort of "lace cushioning" for elastic laces as I have super narrow feet and usually the eyelets are nearly touching from each side.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I hope those aren't metal eyelets like the Adidas Primeknit Boost Racers...really tough to fit any elastic laces through. Also, if this is a "knit" top...the tongue is likely thin where you can really feel any elastic lace press on the tendons, as well as the metal eyelets digging into the foot. At least that is what I noticed. I'd prefer some sort of "lace cushioning" for elastic laces as I have super narrow feet and usually the eyelets are nearly touching from each side.

Zoom in on the pic of the shoe. They are not metal.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if they were plastic, same effect. Unless there was some cushion between the top of the foot & said eyelet. It does look like a traditional shoe more than the Herman Munster type HOKA line they built their name on. Which--I find quite comfortable actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They look like stitched eyelets to me. Not plastic or metal. Go to runningwarehouse and zoom in on their photo.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair a few days ago. Done two 3-4 mile runs in them so far. They feel lighter and snugger (in a good way) on the upper than the Clifton 3. Not quite as much cushion as the Clifton 3, but still feels cushioned and also has more road feel, which I think is a good trade-off. There is a more notable forward rocking than on the Clifton 3, which I like.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [aaronb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing this thread back... how's everyone liking this shoe?

Also.... what the hell is Hoka doing? The updated shoes coming shortly (Tracer, Clayton and Clifton) all are increasing in weight; at what I think is dramatic. And if the below link is right (which I'm hoping its not), what is the difference between the Bondi and Clifton?

http://www.roadtrailrun.com/...iews-at-running.html
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't help you much, but my local shop had the Hupana and Clayton in stock but I didn't buy either. The Hupana looked more like a lifestyle wear around town shoe to me than a serious run shoe. The Clayton upper looked flimsy. I did buy the Clifton 3 (never had 1 or 2). Compared to other Hokas it seems well made, didn't skimp on the tongue or laces or anything else. I bought a pair of New Balance 5000v2 at the same time. I had hoped to use Clifton on long course tri runs hearing it was popular. But for any longer run so far with some intensity (15 miles or so) it is no contest and I grab the NB 5000. Clifton just feels slow and big compared to that one. I went through 10 plus pairs different Hokas several years ago, my new Cliftons may be the last, use them for recovery runs probably.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per that post, the Clayton 2 is unchanged in weight. Looks sharp and should be a great shoe if the arch blister problem is truly fixed.

I'm also looking forward to when the Clifton 4 is released, but only so that I can buy several Clifton 3s at discount. Not a fan of the jump in weight and personally was never looking for a more durable sole in this model.

I have the Hupana and honestly bought it as more of a lifestyle shoe for everyday wear (I have huakas, tracers, and cliftons that I thought were more "serious" running shoes). However, I've taken he Hupanas out for some temp runs and been surprisingly pleased with their performance!
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trineuropa wrote:
Per that post, the Clayton 2 is unchanged in weight. Looks sharp and should be a great shoe if the arch blister problem is truly fixed.

I'm also looking forward to when the Clifton 4 is released, but only so that I can buy several Clifton 3s at discount. Not a fan of the jump in weight and personally was never looking for a more durable sole in this model.

I have the Hupana and honestly bought it as more of a lifestyle shoe for everyday wear (I have huakas, tracers, and cliftons that I thought were more "serious" running shoes). However, I've taken he Hupanas out for some temp runs and been surprisingly pleased with their performance!

I talked to some Hoka guys a month ago when they showed me the Clifton4 and Clayton 2. They are well aware of blister-gate and the new version should not have the same issues. I related to them I found the Kona version to be pretty blister-free and they stated it was considered in house as a Clayton 1.5. They have trimmed away the excess material that was causing the arch blisters, and the mesh upper and new sole should me it a sweet, fast shoe.

I did express how much a Clifton 1 reissue would sell. They said there would never be a 'new' Clifton 1, although perhaps a limited run for the 5 yr anniversary would be interesting in a year. I told them I think it would sell out just from the Slowtwitch crowd!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like it'll be about time to buy a bunch of Clifton 3's on sale!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [NMBillb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Claytons with over 450 miles on them and the uppers are solid. In fact the entire shoe is still holding up well at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know about the Kona Clayton - I may snag a pair now that they're getting ready to roll out the new model.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [runwichi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just received a pair of the Hupana's (read lots of reviews mostly positive) - has anyone been running in these for a while? are they more than a casual shoe. First run felt good only 20mins but lots of cushion which I like.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [AXELLE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AXELLE wrote:
I have just received a pair of the Hupana's (read lots of reviews mostly positive) - has anyone been running in these for a while? are they more than a casual shoe. First run felt good only 20mins but lots of cushion which I like.

Exact same thoughts: Looked like a casual wear, took for a run and really liked them.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Hupana [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use them to travel in and as back up running shoes. I have lots of different Hoka models - marathons in Cliftons, Bondis for long runs, the list goes on...Hupanas are good for running around town and if I forgot to bring anything else with me.
Quote Reply