Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Help
Quote | Reply
I have some Hoka questions that I hope the collective ST knowledge base can help me with.

Here's some info:

1 - I have two pairs of Bondi Bs - the B2 and B3. I really love the B3 (with regular laces).
2 - Both pairs have quite a bit of wear on the softer rubber on the outsole. The harder rubber on the toes and heels shows almost no wear.
3 - I do the vast majority of my running on the road. Sometimes on the shoulder of the road (which is like a dirt/gravel where I live) or on fine gravel MUTs.
4 - I usually wear my shoes until they break. Usually the upper goes before the outsole. That being said, I have many many pairs of running shoes in my rotation. Once a pair starts to wear out, I buy a new pair, but the old pair doesn't come out of rotation until really busted. I have some Kinvaras, Hokas, some older Pearl Izumi Streak IIs, and an even older pair of Pearl Izumi Peak IIs.
5 - I run outside all winter, but not if I can't at least find SOME purchase on the ground (so, not ice or 3 feet of snow).
6 - I think my Peak IIs have seen their last winter. I usually use them in the worst weather days, when I need a little extra traction and durability.

I have 3 questions:

1 - Would the Mafate be a good replacement for the Peak?
2 - Is the Bondi B3 just not very durable for the road? If that's the case, is there another model that fits exactly the same, but that is built more for road-use wear and tear?
3 - If I'm still comfy in the B3s, despite the wear, is it safe to still wear them, or can the significant wear on the soft outsole creating weird drops that will haunt me later on?

Thanks, everyone.

Chris Harris
Last edited by: fe_dad: Oct 21, 14 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Help [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone?

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bondi's are known to have wear issues, however, I have not found them to effect my performance. I've got several pairs with worn soles as you describe as well as holes in the uppers that I still run on without any issues. I've got well over 1,000 miles on them and other them just not looking good they still work well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also a Hoka and Pearl Izumi runner. As for Hoka's I've had 2-pairs of Bondi B's, Stinsen Evo's, Clifton's and Huaka's. As for PI, I'm running in the EM line (Trial N1, M2 and road M3). Both the Hoka's and the PI's have a similar "rocker" shape to the midsole and both promote mid-foot striking.

IMO, the best replacement for the Peak's would be the Huaka's. The Mafate (or even the Mafate speed) is way more shoe than the Peaks. Also, Look at the Clifton's if you want a road Hoka that's more durable than the Bondi's. There is more carbon rubber in the foot strike zones compared to the Bondi's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no way to recommend which Hoka you should buy without a fitting because the width of each Hoka model is significantly different from other models. I can wear the Bondi2 and Bondi3 but the width of the Conquest was much narrower than the Bondi's so I could not wear that shoe.

With that said, the wear on the outer soles of my Bondi2s was pretty drastic at first but stabilized after a few hundred miles. I now have over 700 miles on the shoes and the soles look exactly like they did when I had run 200 miles with the shoes. The same thing happened with my Bondi 3s that I just bought in August, only a faster evolution over the Bondi 2; quick wear for the first 50 miles but now at about 150 miles the outer soles have stablized and are wearing very slowly compared to the first 50-75 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Help [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried some of PI's newer line up, and for some reason I just didn't like any of them. I mostly run in the Kinvara for faster stuff and Hokas for everything else.

The Mafate does look pretty beefy. I'm not necessarily looking for a shoe that is as minimal as the Peak....but I'd like one that is as bulletproof for winter running.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
I tried some of PI's newer line up, and for some reason I just didn't like any of them. I mostly run in the Kinvara for faster stuff and Hokas for everything else.

The Mafate does look pretty beefy. I'm not necessarily looking for a shoe that is as minimal as the Peak....but I'd like one that is as bulletproof for winter running.

OK, for winter running the Mafate Speed might be a good option. They are lighter then both the Stinsen's and regular Mafate's. The Huaka's might still be a good option if you are also a Kinvara runner. BTW, if you do order the Huaka's, order 1/2 size down (my Clifton's were true to size). I couldn't believe that the Huaka's weighted less on my home scale than my Nike Kiger's - its just so much more shoe!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off hoka has wear issues of the soles, contact them and they will likely issue a credit or potentially new shoes. Also you can order new ones from them and return free to try the other types. I have Bondi 3's like them to run long and steady, but I run faster run sets in the ciliftons. The new bondis and Clifton's have better soles it seems. Running warehouse is also another excellent place to get them with free returns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Mafate Speed.

You think the Huaka is a better road shoe than the Stinson Tarmac?

Which fits most closely to the Bondi 3? I also have the Bondi 2, and even that doesn't fit the same as the Bondi 3....I like the 3 much better.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Help [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get almost all of my shoes from zappos vip. Their customer service is unbelievable. I told them I had some unusual wear on my Bondi 2's, and they issued me a full credit with no return required. That's just one example.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Stinson ATR might be a good option, too. I like the full rubber outsole.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply