Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Help/Guidance Please
Quote | Reply
Please see if this convoluted message makes sense and if you can guide me. I am 57 and a very long time runner, triathlete, and 27X Ironman. I tried Hokas several years ago but they didn’t seem to work - Bondis and another they don’t make anymore and I forget the name. I have a long standing medial ankle issue and they gave (I believe) too much stability and aggravated it.

Recently I needed shoes for a trail race and tried a pair of the Speed Instincts . . . I LOVE them! Now, I don’t like them on the road, but I suppose that is why they are trail shoes. A buddy of mine who wears the same size as me (I asked both of our wives if we could just move in together and share everything – they thought that was weird) just got a pair of the Clifton 3s. I ran 2 days in a row in them – 5 miles and then 7 miles – and they seem fabulous, but the shape although not too bad, I think does not fit my foot quite as well as the Speed Instincts which although a tad tight in the toe box fit so well that it is ok.

So, with all of that in mind please guide me and make recommendations. Can any be worn comfortably without socks? FWIW - for the last several years I have been running in the original Energy Boost with black Superfeet and have been relatively happy.

Lastly, when will they have another special like they had on cyber Monday?

Thank you so much!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Help/Guidance Please [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am an outlier - I enjoy Bondi 3 and Clifton 2s. Both were hated by the majority of this board, but work great for me. Ran multiple halves in Clifton 2s sockless, with blisters though.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried either one but I think the Tracer is the road version of the Speed Instinct. They've got so many models now it's hard to keep up.

Personally I'm a Clifton/Challenger guy with Bondis for easy runs and an ocasional long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't provide much help here but 27x Ironman....

Killer! Just had to give you a little love. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First and foremost you have to look at the shoes individually. Just because one shoe from one brand works great it doesn't mean all of their shoes will work great for you. Each shoe if done correctly is uniquely different from all the other shoes in the brand line up. That said, usually a trail shoe follows the success of a road shoe or road shoe follows a trail shoe. The easiest example is the Asics GT 2000 and the Asics GT 2000 Trail.

Your Hoka Speed Instinct has a road cousin called the Hupana. They are not exact matches just like the GT's above. They are your best bet to feel similarly on the road and trail.

All that said, there is nothing wrong with the Instinct on the trail and Energy Boost on the Road. Typically with traditional Hoka it's difficult to do because in Hoka you have the Meta Rocker and in all other shoes you have flex grooves. The Instinct and Hapuna deliver flex like most running shoes so going back and forth between brands should be easy. If the Energy Boost works stick with it and use your Instinct on the trail.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Help/Guidance Please [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hapunas came in last night - 8 mile anniversary run with my wife today. It was the best 1st run I have ever had in a pair of shoes (of course I was with Cindy so that was a bonus!). .

BTW - although I have REALLY liked the Energy Boost, there was one spot on the top of my foot that would repeated get irritated from the tech fit upper. I regular upper with traditional lacing does not cause irritation.

I'll be interested to see how these shoes do over time.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply