Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes
Quote | Reply
I have three pairs of Hokas in a rotation that includes way too many other shoes (like 7 other pairs, of various ages, but I digress).

Among the Hoka line I have the Conquest, Bondi and Clifton. Everyone raves about the Clifton, but I don't really like the shoe that much. I can't explain why but I THINK the combo of the cushiness, meta rocker and 'rebound' (for lack of a better word) don't work perfectly for me in unison. I find it is link bouncing on a diving board and the board coming up as I come down....I just feel the return from the Clifton is out of phase with the push off phase (for whatever reason) that I don't feel in the Bondi and Conquest. I actually seem to like the ride of the Conquest the most. I just tried on a pair of Oddyssey in a store. Looks and feels more Conquest/Bondi -ish and it is barely a few fractions of an ounce more heavy than the Clifton.

Do you guys have any feedback on the Oddyssey?

PS. I wonder if I am the only one that feels something "off" with the Clifton. It is literally the only shoe that I have ever worn where the energy return seems somewhat mistimed. I'd rather a dead show that is cushy with no springy recoil type feeling. I think it is just the material coupled with meta rocker.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hauka sounds like the hoka for you maybe... the clifton is my fave shoe ever. i like training in a bondi 4 and pace runs and races in clifton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't personally tried the Ody but the reviews I've read it's a firmer version of the Clifton. Considering that the Clifton is the perfect shoes for me right now, I've got no reason to change. Love, love, love the Clifton. Just ordered another pair so I could have a couple to rotate through now that I'm running 6 days per week, including some doubles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just goes to show (once again) that not every shoe is perfect for every runner. I absolutely LOVE my Cliftons (except for the wear) but running in Conquests was like running with 2x4's strapped to my feet. Polar opposites...... Note to self - avoid any future shoes Dev recommends!!

You may wanna give the Constants a try, though...kind if in-between the Clifton and Conquests. A bit softer than the Conquests, but firmer and more durable than the Cliftons. While I still far prefer the CLiftons, the Constants (I think) will be a good middle-ground, higher mileage shoe for me.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my first pair of Cliftons. After a couple of runs, I love them. Was debating between them and the Bondi's. I was surprised how different each one felt when trying them out. Bondi's seemed so much softer. Not a bad feeling compared to the Cliftons but different.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:
The Hauka sounds like the hoka for you maybe... the clifton is my fave shoe ever. i like training in a bondi 4 and pace runs and races in clifton

Yep, the Huaka will definitely be your shoe. I've tried numerous versions of the Bondi, the Clifton, Conquest and Huaka. Hated the Conquest but love the Huaka. It feels far different than the Clifton/Bondi. Much less "return".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW.. if you want to try a pair of Huaka's and you're a size 10.5 i'll sell you mine for 65 bucks.. 20 miles on them or so. As i said, i'm a bondi\clifton guy the Huaka's were not for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:
BTW.. if you want to try a pair of Huaka's and you're a size 10.5 i'll sell you mine for 65 bucks.. 20 miles on them or so. As i said, i'm a bondi\clifton guy the Huaka's were not for me.

of course the are selling online for around $45 :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Just goes to show (once again) that not every shoe is perfect for every runner. I absolutely LOVE my Cliftons (except for the wear) but running in Conquests was like running with 2x4's strapped to my feet. Polar opposites...... Note to self - avoid any future shoes Dev recommends!!

You may wanna give the Constants a try, though...kind if in-between the Clifton and Conquests. A bit softer than the Conquests, but firmer and more durable than the Cliftons. While I still far prefer the CLiftons, the Constants (I think) will be a good middle-ground, higher mileage shoe for me.

While the Conquests do feel like I am wearing 2x4's, for some reason after around 3-5 min that goes away and they are OK. I can't say I love them either. I think I will get some Oddyssey's later this fall and give them a go for the winter run focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far the Cliftons (3 pairs in rotation with Bondi 4) are my go to shoe but I also am trying to find something with a little more durability and might have to give the Odyssey a go. I tried the Huaka (nice - but near zero drop was too much) Constant (hated the burrito wrap-exchanged for Bondi 4) the Challenger ATR (close but not quite -exchanged for 2nd pair of Cliftons) and the new Speed goat (now a 3rd pair of Cliftons) the speed goat was nearly perfect except it was too tight in the toe box and the stitching rubbed on top of my little toe causing a huge blister. I didn't try the wide version but wonder if that would help.

My wife has gone through a similar search for the right Hoka and has settled on the Challenger as her favorite. she also has the constant and the Bondi. she likes a stability shoe coming from the Brooks adrenaline series with a custom orthotic that she still uses in the challengers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you size 9.5?

I dig the clifton but the conquest 2 feels like I'm running with boards on my feet

My conquest 2's have 2 runs 7.9 miles total on them. Anyone want to trade me for some barely used Cliftons or some barely used other Hoka's?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 11, 15 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
So far the Cliftons (3 pairs in rotation with Bondi 4) are my go to shoe but I also am trying to find something with a little more durability and might have to give the Odyssey a go. I tried the Huaka (nice - but near zero drop was too much) Constant (hated the burrito wrap-exchanged for Bondi 4) the Challenger ATR (close but not quite -exchanged for 2nd pair of Cliftons) and the new Speed goat (now a 3rd pair of Cliftons) the speed goat was nearly perfect except it was too tight in the toe box and the stitching rubbed on top of my little toe causing a huge blister. I didn't try the wide version but wonder if that would help.

My wife has gone through a similar search for the right Hoka and has settled on the Challenger as her favorite. she also has the constant and the Bondi. she likes a stability shoe coming from the Brooks adrenaline series with a custom orthotic that she still uses in the challengers.

so are you saying that with 4 shoes in the rotation (as an aside why so many?) you are experiencing durability problems? I have the Bondi 4 and the Challenger and durability has been good.
Last edited by: Runguy: Oct 11, 15 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The soles of the Cliftons are very soft and get chewed up pretty quick. I would estimate 250-300 miles out of them. So I had one pair for interval and speed workouts, with the other pair for racing. I just got the 3rd pair to race in Arizona next week then will toss the oldest pair and be back to two pair of Clidtons with one as my race specific pair.

I use the Bondis mainly for long runs. they have about 400 miles on them and getting close to needing replaced. that's why I am looking for a "durable" version of the Clifton which the Speedgoat checked all the boxes except for them being too narrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Cliftons (1st version), went out and bought 4 more pairs once I tried the Clifton 2s and didn't like the feel of the toe in them. Have tried the Haukas and they aren't bad. Feel a little different, and not as nice as the Cliftons. Haven't tried any others, but would like to try the Bondi or something for the longer runs (although my Cliftons seem just fine, I'd just like to compare them to the others and see if there are another I could love).

Any suggestions for a guy that really likes his Cliftons? Bondi? Conquest?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have said Huakas if you don't like the Clifton 2. I never tried the 1's but am not a fan of the thin tongue on any of them. So out of curiousity what about the toebod is is different on the 2's versus the 1's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Clifton 2s have a "hard" ridge around the toes. The toe box is just a bit narrow for me, but with that harder material around the toes it starts to really hurt on longer runs. The Clifton 1s have softer material there.

I actually like the thin tongue on the first version. However, I also like the newer tongues too. If it weren't for that "stiffer" toe box material, i'd be all good.

I have the Huakas, and they are okay. Looking for the maximal cushion to try. I really like my Cliftons, and am fine with sticking with them. But if there is another that i'll "love" for mylong runs, i'd like to give them a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton vs Odyssey lightweight shoes [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then give the Bondi 4 a try but size up 1/2 size over your Cliftons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll give them a try. Always nice to lace up a pair, run...and then go "wow...that was awesome" when done. Happened with my Cliftons, hoping to hear it again with the Bondis (the Huakas was more of a "uhh...it was okay, I guess....I've had better. lol)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, what is your run cadence? I don't get the same sync issue with the rebounds and run typically between 85-92/minute (each foot) depending on my pace.
Last edited by: ChrisT: Oct 11, 15 16:42
Quote Reply