Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!)
Quote | Reply
So I switched from running with Kinvaras for like 4-5 years, switched to Hoka Clifton's and I really like the first version a lot, I actually like the tongue (I know that others didn't) I also liked the size of the toe box both my Kinvaras and Hoka had similar size toe boxes.

I bought the same size Hoka Clifton 2's and I've been running with them for a few months and my right toes look like an animal attacked them. Black toe nails, swollen toes, skin falling off, blisters on my toes, the fox box is def smaller. My running distance hasn't changed at all...right toes hurt when I run never had that happen

Might have to go back to Kinvaras, feel like I might have wasted $125, oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read that Cliftons vary from one pair to the next. I can't believe how narrow mine are, but then others say that one pair was fine and the next narrow. Not sure if applies to v1 vs. v2.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first pair of Cliftons was perfect for me. Second gave me black toes. Have not tried Clifton 2 yet.

I wasn't the only one. Pretty sure the Chinese factory changed something without telling Hoka. If you are going to outsource to China you gotta watch them like a hawk or they WILL try to cut corners.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
My first pair of Cliftons was perfect for me. Second gave me black toes. Have not tried Clifton 2 yet.

I wasn't the only one. Pretty sure the Chinese factory changed something without telling Hoka. If you are going to outsource to China you gotta watch them like a hawk or they WILL try to cut corners.

I hear ya on China^. Surprised the quality control on Hoka is so low, simple solution to this problem. Gonna go back to my Kinvaras, feels like I dropped a sledge hammer on my right foot haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if the Stinson has suffered a similar fate?

My wife loves her old Tarmacs which are nearly due for replacement... is the new Stinson Lite built on the same last or did it go narrow too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
So I switched from running with Kinvaras for like 4-5 years, switched to Hoka Clifton's and I really like the first version a lot, I actually like the tongue (I know that others didn't) I also liked the size of the toe box both my Kinvaras and Hoka had similar size toe boxes.

I bought the same size Hoka Clifton 2's and I've been running with them for a few months and my right toes look like an animal attacked them. Black toe nails, swollen toes, skin falling off, blisters on my toes, the fox box is def smaller. My running distance hasn't changed at all...right toes hurt when I run never had that happen

Might have to go back to Kinvaras, feel like I might have wasted $125, oh well.

welcome back from mars........this has been discussed ad nauseam in here.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a similar experience. Tow box is smaller. Which it too bad because I have wide feet and the cliftons are the only Hokas that fit me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the huaka and they fit perfect but considering Cliftons because I love light. From what I'm reading I'm thinking of getting the originals since they're lighter and I can get cheaper - if only improvement is the tongue, I don't have issues with tongue on Huaka.

What did you not like about the OG Cliftons?

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back from you parents basement; did you have a bad day working at bojangles yesterday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It feels about the same to me. But I also had both insoles in my Clifton 1's. IT feels a little more firm overall and is a little heavier. I'm not sure it was an improvement. The mass production cost cutting is obvious too. I still like the shoe.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toe-box width: my pinky toe toenails are taking something of a bruising from my Clifton 2s that they didn't receive from the Clifton 1s, so yes, something seems different/narrower. C2 tongue is an improvement, and the shoe looks great and rides similarly. Also, the insoles don't seem prone to sliding around like the C1's.

After around 80 miles of normal running (and probably 30% of that on soft surface), however, the outsole already showed signs of minor disintegration (as reported with other models). For a $130 shoe, that's annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [SBR0510] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have issues with blisters on the back of their heel from the Clifton 2?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogchili94 wrote:
anyone have issues with blisters on the back of their heel from the Clifton 2?

Yeah I had major blisters on my heel and where the tongue hit my ankle, I had cuts/blood on there for about 2 weeks until I built up a callus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emma'sDad wrote:
I've read that Cliftons vary from one pair to the next. I can't believe how narrow mine are, but then others say that one pair was fine and the next narrow. Not sure if applies to v1 vs. v2.

This definitely applies on the 3 v1's i have. All are noticeably different and it's not just due to wear. I don't like the added weight on the 2's so i've bought another pair of v1's online, hopefully i'll get one with the toe box i like!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why did you switch from the Kinvara's in the first place? just curious. I recently switched from Clifton's to Asics 33FA on 10k and shorter races. Really like them the fit for me is perfect and not quite as much squish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently running in the heavier Hoka Conquest1 because I didn't like the feel of the Bondi3 and the Clifton1 was too tight up front when I tried them on. Next I'm going to one of the zero drop shoes, either Altra (Torin 27mm, Instinct 24mm, One 23mm) or maybe even the Skora Temp (22mm) because of the wide toe box. Been fighting a neuroma and doc said to dump the Hoka as its too narrow for me, I now need a wide toe box even though my whole life I've been running in medium width shoes without issue until recently.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
why did you switch from the Kinvara's in the first place? just curious. I recently switched from Clifton's to Asics 33FA on 10k and shorter races. Really like them the fit for me is perfect and not quite as much squish.

I trained last year for a marathon and did a bunch of running after I ran my marathon my knee felt off so I thought I would go with a more cushioned shoe so I switched to The orginal Clifton, had no sides until I beat the piss out of the orginal Clifton after putting a bunch of miles on them and my wife made me buy a new pair of Clifton 2's because the insoles in the orginal Clifton's got all bunched up and shit fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emma'sDad wrote:

My second pair of Cliftons were tighter than the first and even the first were tight initially. I've finally given up with trying to stretch the second pair and am going back to Newtons with the new Aha model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i also found the clifton toe box narrow:) my bondis are fine, but they are clunky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a pair of Clifton 2, they were narrow and I found them long. Went a 1/2 size up for width and they would have doubled as water skiis.
Ended up in an older Clifton, right sized, better width and I can go barefoot in them.

The tongue is a bit wimpy and I have trouble getting them on, so a fast T2 might be a problem.
Haven't lost any toenails yet!
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the exact same boat. I think I was still on like the kinvara 2 and tried grtting the Clifton 2. I LOVED them, but the toe box was too narrow. I was not spending $125 on shoes to have them fit like anything other than a glove. Wish they made wide sizes. Ended up with the NB fresh foam boracay cause they come in wide and they have been great
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [SBR0510] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR0510 wrote:
Toe-box width: my pinky toe toenails are taking something of a bruising from my Clifton 2s that they didn't receive from the Clifton 1s, so yes, something seems different/narrower. C2 tongue is an improvement, and the shoe looks great and rides similarly. Also, the insoles don't seem prone to sliding around like the C1's.

After around 80 miles of normal running (and probably 30% of that on soft surface), however, the outsole already showed signs of minor disintegration (as reported with other models). For a $130 shoe, that's annoying.

FUCK YOU CLIFTON 1!!!!!!!!!!!! Man...just when you find that ONE shoe that fits nicely and you like (Clifton v1) and then you want to go grab another pair and its this "Clifton 2" shit. I bought them...figuring that they wouldn't change the fit of them, however....after a nice 2 mile jog...the outside of my toe next to the pinky toe is KILLING me. They didn't bother me when I first put them on, but a quick job changed that. FUCK. And of course I was being cheap and didn't buy the second pair right off the get go and now Running Warehouse ONLY has the Clifton 2s. SHIT.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [lilteichmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new to HOKA and just got the Clifton 1 & 2 in the mail today. (ActivInstinct have some 1's left over here in Europe)
Coming from Kinvara3 (which gave me a hard time in IM marathon),Mirage2 and Asics Fuji Trainer.
Couldn't see much difference between the two cliftons except the tongue and the insole (both seem better on the 2)
Length is fine (got a thumb space in front) but both seem quite narrow where the pinky toes are.
(Went 9.5 with clifton, 10 everywhere else since it was stated the building a little bigger)

Like its said they gonna widen a little, whats your guys experience?

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Clifton 2 (small toe box?!) [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
I'm new to HOKA and just got the Clifton 1 & 2 in the mail today. (ActivInstinct have some 1's left over here in Europe)
Coming from Kinvara3 (which gave me a hard time in IM marathon),Mirage2 and Asics Fuji Trainer.
Couldn't see much difference between the two cliftons except the tongue and the insole (both seem better on the 2)
Length is fine (got a thumb space in front) but both seem quite narrow where the pinky toes are.
(Went 9.5 with clifton, 10 everywhere else since it was stated the building a little bigger)

Like its said they gonna widen a little, whats your guys experience?

Caution with ActiveInstinct or Millet Sports (same business I believe) - their website stock levels never seem to be up to date, still lets you order however, takes your money & then several days later you get an email stating your size isn't in stock. Happened to me twice this year but I've also had good service from them in the past - just email them first of all to check they have your size!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me a year to find the Clifton 1 and I loved it. I made the mistake of thinking the Clifton 2 would be the same and didn't stock up. I just got my first pair of the 2's yesterday and it was brutal. Got about 4 blisters on my toes and hot spots on my arches. The toe box is a lot smaller. What do you guys think I should do? I wear an 11 so maybe try a 11.5 and then look for something else? Any ideas on what else I could try? I don't want to go through another year of constant blisters.
Quote Reply

Prev Next