Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hit-and-Run at Race Experience Bike Replacement Questions?
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers,

I had a college kid hit from behind at a race yesterday. He was riding very close to the right side of the road on an "open-road course." Amazingly, he is fine, besides some road rash and likely some residual soreness.Thankfully, the race had doctors and nurses on-site since a local hospital was a presenting sponsor. Again, he is fine, today a bit sore, but he was walking around cheering on his teammates before they even got back in to T2. Tough kid in his second triathlon who will bounce back, no-doubt with more fire than before.

Unfortunately and seemingly more common, the driver did not stop and there are no good leads, nor do I expect any. Local police were great and we have good contact for police reports on the incident. The RDs are also being great.

His bike was destroyed because it seems the athlete was thrown forward from the bike to the side of the road and the bike was run over. I have not seen anything like it besides when an athlete/cyclist was killed (destroyed crank and shattered fork, tacoed wheels-rear one being less damaged actually). However, the big question is where do we go from here? We will be looking to the parent's insurance company (he is a college kid) and possibly the bike company for a discount. We may have avenues with our very supportive athletic department. I am not sure there is really anything to be had through USAT or the race. Based on previous experiences- what have been your best options for bike replacement?

Given, the driver is scum of the earth for not having stopped- for whatever reason. I do not want this to be a rant against hit-and-runs. They suck, but here I am looking for some good advice for the athlete. Specific ideas previously used, welcome and encouraged (to include down-falls to using certain avenues like car/home-owner's insurance or approaching the race).

Thanks!

-

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Last edited by: Billy the Kid: Sep 22, 14 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Hit-and-Run at Race Experience Bike Replacement Questions? [Billy the Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the athlete is an insured automobile driver (either his own policy or insured through his parents), there may be under-insured motorist coverage that applies. If so, that is probably the most direct route for a property damage claim (and, if need be, a personal injury claim). However, the UIM carrier will likely want to take a big discount against 100% of bike replacement value for depreciation.

The RD's CGL insurance might also apply, if the athlete wants to go that route--which would require (among other things) accusing the RD of not taking sufficient safety precautions. This kind of third-party claim is typically slower to resolve than a first-party claim, such as the UIM claim mentioned above. Hence the suggestion to look into the UIM coverage first.

Do get the police report, the contact info for witnesses (if any), and gather receipts for the bike-related purchases. Have the LBS write an estimate of replacement value for the bike. Tell the athlete to stay off social media regarding the accident or, if not, to at least be aware that the insurance carrier will more than likely take notice of any FB posts, etc. and, if possible, use the info collected to lessen the claim payment or even deny the claim.

I hope the driver is found, although this does not seem likely. And I'm glad the accident wasn't more severe.

You can PM specific questions if you would like. Good luck.

Scrubbie
Quote Reply
Re: Hit-and-Run at Race Experience Bike Replacement Questions? [Billy the Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrecked a Guru a few years back and when i contacted them i was able to get a replacement bike at a significant discount. I can't remember the exact percentage, but it was significant. It can't hurt to reach out to the maker and explain what happened, what school is involved, and it's hard not to believe that they wouldn't offer something. Between the discount and any insurance cash, you might be well on your way to a new bike. Good luck.
Quote Reply