Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist
Quote | Reply
After some thought (actually the swimmer BMI thread), I figure the most important priority is not for training regimen, gear, technical, race strategy etc. it's actually for health & performance of the "engine" or racer, long term.

I guess it is a bit like putting boost and chipping an engine, pulling weight, standard racer stuff - except we are working with muscles and blood vs metal and oil.

So I went to google and found a nutritionist at optimal performance here in Vancouver. She's worked with the Canucks and swim clubs etc. Going today, in a few hours.

Anyone on here have a nutrition coach?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am one, but coaching myself is not always ideal. It helps to have someone point out where you can make cuts and hold you accountable

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that is exactly what I was driving toward.

She asked for training and food logs. The training log was easy - username and password to my TomTom account, the food log I had to go from memory. But just doing that I realize what a "creature" we humans (or at least me) really are.

I think I am eating well but heck I am not sure, there could be a dozen or more tweaks to be made there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Results of session - for the "gold" standard, some highlights:

- Coffee consumption is done, and no decaf either
- No more diet cokes

- Up the juice and veggie smoothies, or teas (blended drinks instead)
- Up the fruit and veggie count, beans
- I can snack on certain fruit and nut bars to steer away from junk food temptations (bait and switch thing)

- training at 5-7 lbs over race weight, for robustness.
- Advice on timing of use of gels etc.

Followup in 3 weeks. Well worth it imo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

- No more diet cokes

- I can snack on certain fruit and nut bars to steer away from junk food temptations (bait and switch thing)

Amazing idea, let's get rid of the best PED ever!
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed.
What was the logic behind cutting out coffee? If you add lots of cream/sugar, that may be a worthwhile gain.

(btw, I don't drink coffee, but love some race day caffeine boost)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mind if I ask what you're paying for this service? I'm in North Van, so would be interested in a referal.

I start working with a coach at the end of the month, but depending on the value you think you're getting I might be interested in checking it out. Will circle back in a month and see how you're liking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

I would've fired the person on the spot for this shit nugget.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

- No more diet cokes

Amazing idea, let's get rid of the best PED ever!

Well that's the best news of the day, exactly how much over race day weight I am today!

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pure nonsense. No coffee but hammer the "beans", "blended drinks" and "nut bars"! Communist vegetarian propaganda!

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you had to pay someone to learn that drinking soda was bad and increasing vegetables and fruit was good?
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coffee has a lot of negative long term health effects. She was rattling them off, but I stopped her & agreed to cut it. I enjoy the taste and buzz but it is what I call a system stressor, and was doing no good - I can feel that. I needed to be told, yes. The diet cokes we replace with ice cold blended drinks. Just have to stock supplies.

Caffeine for races - yes including timing and how. I told her I don't need caffeine to race although I might try it for anything over 2 hours. Obviously as a pro-caliber adviser she knows her stuff & science. .

Cost is $120, groceries were $60 and my e-bike was stolen while off-loading $3000 :( Frig!!

.<cristinasutter.ca

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Coffee has a lot of negative long term health effects. She was rattling them off, but I stopped her & agreed to cut it. I enjoy the taste and buzz but it is what I call a system stressor, and was doing no good - I can feel that. I needed to be told, yes. The diet cokes we replace with ice cold blended drinks. Just have to stock supplies.

Caffeine for races - yes including timing and how. I told her I don't need caffeine to race although I might try it for anything over 2 hours. Obviously as a pro-caliber adviser she knows her stuff & science. .

Cost is $120, groceries were $60 and my e-bike was stolen while off-loading $3000 :( Frig!!

.<cristinasutter.ca

You should get a logic tutor too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if anything coffee has positive long term effects. fire her and ask for a refund.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

- No more diet cokes

I agree on some of the points, however Juice = crap, get rid of it. Eat the whole fruit!

And for the record, I'm married to a holistic nutritionist and we drink a ton of coffee.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> Yes the whole fruit ie blended fruit drinks as in using a Ninja. Not a straining juicer.

Unsalted almonds (of course), pumpkin seeds, (have to check my notes). It was a one hour initial consultation.

More specific work in the next appt.

About coffee - did I drink it as a kid? No it tasted terrible. Does the body need it? No. Does it cause problems? well yes it does. So yeah stop..

Why didn't I do that?

PS Slow roasted grass fed lamb with a twitch of organic mint is on the menu. assuming she doesn't fire me mid-season.

Last edited by: SharkFM: Aug 21, 15 19:55
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

- No more diet cokes

I agree on some of the points, however Juice = crap, get rid of it. Eat the whole fruit!

And for the record, I'm married to a holistic nutritionist and we drink a ton of coffee.

^ what he said on juice part ^.... also coffee has shown in studies to prevent memory loss, etc

"The diet cokes we replace with ice cold blended drinks" So you replaced a sugar free product, with a sugar product.... now you are taking in more calories.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, all of slowtwitch is laughing at you. So what exactly were the ills of coffee? Citations from a peer reviewed journal too please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dietician or nutritionist?

Dietitians are healthcare professionals, licensed, credentialed, trained, registered, regulated.

Nutritionists are....anyone.

http://www.dietitians.ca/...nd-Nutritionist.aspx

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I did in 2009, but it was an RD. Helped me clean up some deficiencies which made a huge difference in my overall health in very short order it was amazing the difference. Coffee was nowhere on her list of don't do's at least for my levels of 2-3 cups a day. The broad strokes were: eat more protein, eat more leafy greens and get even more antioxidants(which coffee provides a nice bump of disease fighting antioxidants)

I definitely agree diet is massively important. When mine was poor I caught every bug that visited town and was lethargic 50% of the time. Diet cleaned up and no exaggeration I have not had a cold/flu....NOTHING....for 5 + years. Nothing! Not an accident b/c I train at least the same amount of hours a week and even more in the summer than I did with triathlon focus. So, tweaking the diet can be a great thing!

The only question I'd bring up to your nutritionist on the next visit is for something other than their opinion on coffee. Like a list of verified detrimental issues with coffee. Did she mean Dunkin Donuts with extra cream and sugar? Or unfiltered Turkish battery acid? I'd agree to that degree that daily doses of those kinds of coffee would lean towards 'not good'.
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Aug 22, 15 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously. Expand on the ills of coffee. That goes against the vast quantity of scientific literature. You can find papers that show negative effects, but need to seriously cherry pick the lit to determine a net negative effect.

With regards to diet soda, if you are being honest, a thorough review of lit would say that they are possibly, or you could ethically stretch to say probably a net negative product, but for a professional to have a hard conclusion is editorializing, not interpreting and reporting data.

How often did the term toxin come up? If that was a buzzword, them just be glad you only wasted $120 Canadian dollars.

Now about that bike... Hang the effers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ignore the negativity. Getting your nutrition dialed can be really hard. Some people are good at it, but some people really struggle. If you trust her and hiring her is helping you improve your nutrition and overall health, then go with it.

I think the no coffee thing is debatable, but if that's what she wants you to do I think you should do it and see how you feel. It's not like we need coffee, and you can get caffeine from other sources. My girlfriend cut out her morning coffee a few months ago and switched to green tea and she feels like it was a positive change for her. Later on, once you feel like you've got things dialed in, you can add coffee back in and see how you feel and then decide if it's going to be part of your diet or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [Endo Ag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo Ag wrote:
Seriously. Expand on the ills of coffee. That goes against the vast quantity of scientific literature. You can find papers that show negative effects, but need to seriously cherry pick the lit to determine a net negative effect.

With regards to diet soda, if you are being honest, a thorough review of lit would say that they are possibly, or you could ethically stretch to say probably a net negative product, but for a professional to have a hard conclusion is editorializing, not interpreting and reporting data.

How often did the term toxin come up? If that was a buzzword, them just be glad you only wasted $120 Canadian dollars.

Now about that bike... Hang the effers!

I can't decide if aspartame or correlation with poor diet would be a worse reason to give up diet coke.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, nutrition is very important and it's clear OP has a major struggle. I think a good group of MOP and BOPers feel like because we do this type of activity and burn a lot of calories that it's ok to take in whatever.

What OP needs to learn is it's not changing everything, it's just cutting out which of the bad things you can and managing the ones that you can't. I cannot leave coffee and I don't even drink one every single day! It's probably 5x a week though and it keeps me regular. So a blanket statement like no coffee is just stupid in my opinion. Anyone suggesting I drop coffee without proof of how they are going to address other things I depend on it for is not worthy of my trust or my $$ because they are not tailoring a plan for me, they are tailoring me to their plan. Recipe for failure.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiring a Food Coach - Nutritionist [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Dude, all of slowtwitch is laughing at you. So what exactly were the ills of coffee? Citations from a peer reviewed journal too please.

Instead of being a jackass maybe you could think thru the explanation a bit. The coffee is directly tied to caffiene consumption. In all likelihood that is why it is being cut out.

Maybe you can provide citations from a peer review journal on the health benefits of caffiene.
Quote Reply

Prev Next