Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip bursitis - fixed
Quote | Reply
I think. I've had HB for 3 months and have been unable to run and it's been quite painful at times, no way I could sleep on (I still can't), but it seems to be getting better, slowly and I've run 3 times this week with no real after effects. I thought I'd post what has worked for me and what hasn't as I know there are a few peeps that are plagued by this. Firstly what has probably brought this on is weak/inhibitied glutes, working in an office does not help, then I did a 70.3 in racing flats and bam welcome to hip bursitis...

what hasn't worked:

- 2 x cortisone shots, 1 guided by ultrasound. They can be very effective for some people, but for me it had no effect whatsoever, I guess it's a bit hit and miss
- rolling glutes, ITB etc
- stretching
- NSAIDs, ice - did nothing to alleviate/reduce the pain
- rest

what has worked

- I noticed an almost immediate change after doing two exercises, the bridge and the clam, both recommended by a poster in here (can't find the post, but I owe him a beer!). The clam, especially really targeted, very specifically, the glute medius (not sure if that's the right name) and I'm guessing for me that was the problem. A tight/inhibited glute medius
- getting up regularly at work, not sitting for extended periods of time. I'm going to get a sit/stand desk.

I probably won't fully recover for a while yet, but being able to run pain free is just great :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hip bursitis - fixed [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great summary - thanks for taking time to put that list together. I'm about 3-4 months ahead of you on recovery and can definitely relate to your "what worked for me" list. I opted not to get a cortisone shot, and focused on clam and a couple other hip-specific mobility exercises. It took time, but Am back to running more or less pain free now. Hang in there, it's worth it!!

Just wanted to add - ice and especially rolling / stretching were also really helpful for me. Consider re-adding it to your routine as the running ramps back up? (Blah blah blah n=1 blah blah) 😀
Quote Reply
Re: Hip bursitis - fixed [sea green] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sea green wrote:
Great summary - thanks for taking time to put that list together. I'm about 3-4 months ahead of you on recovery and can definitely relate to your "what worked for me" list. I opted not to get a cortisone shot, and focused on clam and a couple other hip-specific mobility exercises. It took time, but Am back to running more or less pain free now. Hang in there, it's worth it!!

Just wanted to add - ice and especially rolling / stretching were also really helpful for me. Consider re-adding it to your routine as the running ramps back up? (Blah blah blah n=1 blah blah) 😀

sh!t, so I have still a few months to go!? I think you did the right thing, not taking the cortisone shot, at the end of the day, I guess it masks the problem. If the cortisone had worked for me, I wouldn't be working on activating my glutes plus stretching and strengthening glutes, hammys etc so I'm sure the problem, or other associated injuries would have reoccurred.

after 20+ years of rugby, surfing, BMXing, I've injured virtually every part of my body and now have lots of titanium inside me, but I have to say, this has been on of the worst injuries in that it has been incredibly frustrating. Zero progress after 2 months...
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 29, 16 23:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind this was about 25 years ago. I had one that I could never resolve. Ultimately any activity was too painful so I completely gave up sport for about 15 years and gained 50+ pounds. When I finally returned to sport it was no longer an issue. So, I guess you can say I fixed it with extreme rest. I don't recommend that approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had it before and have been dealing with it for the last couple of months. Here's what has worked in the past and is working for me now:
-- Chiropractic. Helps resolve alignment problems that contribute to the injury. I used to go to a "Grostic" chiropractor who would adjust the axis at the top of my spine and HB would resolve almost miraculously. He said he was fixing my leg length. Yeah, I know it sounds like quackery, but it seemed to work. Unfortunately he passed away last year and I have not found another grostic chiropractor. I now see a Gonstead chiropractor. He doesn't do the same axis adjustment, but his treatments do seem to help - albeit at a slower pace.
-- Deep tissue massage, focused on glutes and thighs, to loosen the muscles and ligaments.
-- Avoid running on crowned roads.
-- Substitute eliptical for running at the worst of it.
-- Substitute treadmill running for outside as it's improving.
-- Hip flexor stretches.
-- Rolling glutes, thighs, and hip everywhere except the bony part on the upper side of the hip.
Last edited by: Kroppduster: Jul 30, 16 4:36
Quote Reply