Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hills with Polarized Training
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to follow a polarized training plan this year for my cycling. After reading through countless articles and research papers, I see this as the best way to improve.

I'm used to the Joe Friel method of training, building strength and muscular endurance by doing hill work, however, I'm finding it very difficult to keep my heart rate down in zone 1 whilst trying to do hill work at the same time.

How do I overcome this?

Do I just keep any hill work for my interval HIT training instead and keep all my other low intensity rides on the flat?
Quote Reply
Re: Hills with Polarized Training [Kiwi Cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run on flat ground when not doing the intervals.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hills with Polarized Training [Kiwi Cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwi Cyclist wrote:
I'm trying to follow a polarized training plan this year for my cycling. After reading through countless articles and research papers, I see this as the best way to improve.

I'm used to the Joe Friel method of training, building strength and muscular endurance by doing hill work, however, I'm finding it very difficult to keep my heart rate down in zone 1 whilst trying to do hill work at the same time.

How do I overcome this?

Do I just keep any hill work for my interval HIT training instead and keep all my other low intensity rides on the flat?

If you have problem getting up hills and stay in zone 1, maybe you should take a look at a compact crank?
I am not sure if Joe Friel is totally following the polarized model, if I am not totally wrong (and I can be) he is mixing the polarized approach with some other "stuff".

If you ride or run you should be able to stay in zone 1 and not just be on the flat. When you sun you maybe have to walk some of the hills and on the bike you need gearing to fit your strength.

If you wonder if the polarized approach works. Take a look at the current world championship in cross country skiing in Falun.
Quote Reply