Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hiking help
Quote | Reply
I did a 50k trail race this weekend, my 4th trail run and first ultra. I feel like I really struggled (was passed by lots of people) on the steeper hills where everyone was hiking. Once the race started and the natural packs were created I felt I was running very comfortably with a group of people, don't think i was passed while running after the first 5-8 miles of the race, and i did a fair amount of passing on the descents. But once we all reached a steeper climb and started hiking everyone i was running with would blow by me and even people from the next pack would eventually catch me. I don't think I was running too hard, felt very in control all day. Is hiking just a skill I need to practice more or is there something else to it. I live in the city so my only real hills are a local mall parking garage and some pretty mellow trails, so i don't have anything that i really need to hike when running. For reference im 6'3 180 pounds, averaged about 55-60 miles a week with peak weeks at 70 mpw, and averaged about 4k ft of climbing a week.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hiking help [bfinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Obviously you figured that out. I think your question is more; when do I hike and how do I practice? You hike when it is more efficient than running and, if you live in a flat city, you practice on stairs and treadmills. Ramp up the treadmill as high as it will go and as you speed it up you'll get to a point where 'hiking' is more efficient than running. As it gets steeper, running, your stride length decreases. Even steeper and cadence decreases. Eventually, it is more efficient to lean further forward and take a longer hiking stride at the fastest walking cadence you can maintain. Another way to experiment is to find a long steep set of stairs or preferably a really steep hill. Run up. Then hike up with your hands on your thighs. Feel the difference in body lean at the hips, stride length, cadence and the dispersal of load to your glutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiking help [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think i know when to hike vs when to run. my issue seems to be my hiking and just how to improve it and get better at it. when your running with a group of 10 people and then you all start hiking a climb and by the top your at least a minute down on them i must be doing something less than idea. looking for advice and/or ways to improve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a sometime hiker I've found that I don't get better at hiking up steep hills by hiking on the flat.
As always, specificity is the key.
Even running up hills isn't the same as hiking up them because when you run up them your heels never touch the ground, this seems to affect your back.
Using hiking poles will help but I doubt they're used in trail races.

However, somebody who actually knows what they're talking about may give better advice than this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From your post you don't specify at what intensity you were hiking. You stated you weren't running to hard,- are you gauging this with heart rate or feel? I often see people running at 8 min miles, then take a walk break at a casual 24 mph pace. Athletes faster than I taught me to walk with urgency to keep your speed up and heart rate down.
If you have a way to measure your hiking paces you should have a significantly better race!
Happy Training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the drills I suggested. You're absolutely correct that hiking and running are two different things. I wasn't trying to help you figure out when to walk, the course does that, rather, trying to help you drill hiking fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiking help [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
appreciate all the tips. would you recommend hiking with a weight vest as a way to improve?
Quote Reply