Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High schooler runs sub-4 mile
Quote | Reply
Michael Slagowski busts out a 3:59.53 mile. "So what?" you say. "Eight others have done before him, and three have done it in past 12 months," you say. All true, but he's the first one in 50 years, and the only one other than Jim Ryun, to accomplish it in a field made up entirely of high school runners. He's also run a 1:48 800 this year. I hope that the kid can continue to progress. He could be something special.

I will now retreat back into ST Forum retirement for a while

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, saw that result on twitter and didn't even know the full back story. Brilliant run by Michael. What's his college plans?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brooks,

Penn State announced that he will be attending:

http://www.gopsusports.com/...c-rel/112715aaa.html

They liked him when his mile PR was "only" 4:08!

Michael Slagowski | Hometown: Meridian, ID | High School: Rocky Mountain High School
Event: 800m, 1-mile, 3200m, 5K
Personal Best(s): 1:51.85 (800m), 4:08.28 (1-mile), 9:14.59 (3200m), 15:21.35 (5K XC)

Highlights
: Slagowski is the 2015 800m Champion at the Arcadia Invitational, 2015 800m and 1600m Idaho State Champion, finished third in mile at the Brooks PR Invitational, was the 2015 Idaho State Cross Country Champion.

Coach Gondak on Michael
: “Michael is another athlete joining our program that has amazing range. From running 49.05 for an open 400m to being the State Champion in Cross Country – not a combination you see often. He is going to help continue the great success we have in middle-distance running at Penn State.”

The Coach has been very successful at Penn State: Gondak's résumé while with the Blue and White - which can be matched by few middle distance mentors in the country - includes 22 first team All-Americans, 25 Big Ten Champions.

He also coached 5 Big Ten Freshman of the Year runners, so possibly Michael believes this is the best coach for him to improve with.

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was also impressive because no one was paying attention to him. A lot of people were sleeping on his 1:48.

Very solid race. Haven't seen any video of it yet, would like to though.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've mentioned before that i'm currently living in kenya, in the high rift valley, and we recently had the national highschool champs. some rather depressing performances came out of that . . . nothing like watching a bunch of world-class teenagers to make you feel old and slow.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year Jakob Ingebrigtsen (little brother of Henrik) ran 1,500 in 3.48.37 two months before he turned 15.

He was suppose to run 1,500 at Payton Jordan lase Sunday, but for some reason the organizers would not allow him.
His two older brothers both ran 3.38.

Lots of good young runners these days.
Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can catch video of his run here;
http://www.runnersworld.com/...school-sub-400-miler

It wasn't even very well paced with a sub 58 third lap. He is running 45-50 miles a week, that type of talent is born not made.

Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just watched the video. Good lord he's a smooth runner. Some runners are fast, but not aesthetically pleasing. That kid is fast and looks like a Ferrari.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer for the kid who got tripped when his pacer tried to pull over to the outside of the track. That kid looked gassed - probably a PR for his 800.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Bummer for the kid who got tripped when his pacer tried to pull over to the outside of the track. That kid looked gassed - probably a PR for his 800.

At the end of the video after the pacer hugs the sub 4 guy, he seeks out the guy he tripped and hugs him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it's because I now have kids of my own or what but that literally made me shed a few tears. Amazing to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
You can catch video of his run here;
http://www.runnersworld.com/...school-sub-400-miler

It wasn't even very well paced with a sub 58 third lap. He is running 45-50 miles a week, that type of talent is born not made.

Dear god...

1) His turnover is beautiful. Absolutely effortless. Perfect mechanics. If you look at the start of his second lap where he's behind his teammate you can just tell how smooth he's running. Incredible to run a 60s quarter that fluidly at that age.

2) Very unfortunate incident with the pacer. He's young/inexperienced. You've got to pull out more aggresively around 750. Peeling off after you've faded is dangerous, as we all saw.

3) Not only was an all HS field, it was a field with no competition. He practically just ran sub 4 alone in the rain. There was no one even remotely close to him. Making the effort that much more impressive.

4) I'm amped now, looking forward to my hard run tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video was made private. Bummer I wanted to see it.
Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [moneyball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that just happened as I watched it like 90 minutes ago.

Here's the channel with David's videos from the 2016 season. As you can see, the 4th and 6th are private. The 6th one being the one that was made private moments ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-4d3brnCqc&list=PLHL9EVF7E9NQ9EfBvw-Zf84v7rN0lvf8Y

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can find it on youtube if you search for "Michael Slagowski 4 minute mile".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
  • He is running 45-50 miles a week,
  • that type of talent is born not made.

That's a contrary statement if I ever have heard one.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: High schooler runs sub-4 mile [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
dogmile wrote:

• He is running 45-50 miles a week,
  • that type of talent is born not made.

That's a contrary statement if I ever have heard one.

40-50 miles a week is a pittance.

I run 70 mile weeks right now and I could not even touch a 3:59 with a ten foot pole.

If you run sub 4 on 40ish mpw, you have some very natural talent.

Quote Reply