Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High iron levels?
Quote | Reply
After getting my annual bloodwork done recently, I was shocked to see that I now have high Iron (211 ug/ml). 3 years ago it was middle of the road (96), last year it was higher (141), and now this year it's a bit too high. Oddly, my hemoglobin and hematocrit actually dropped (around 0.8 each) since last year even though I have since been working, and doing half my workouts, at 8k feet (live at 5k ft).

Anyone else here end up with high iron? It's kind of a shock since even though I don't run nearly as much as I used to, I still do run quite a bit. A doctor suggested altitude training as a cause and not to worry, but that doesn't make sense to me. Looks like I might have to give blood soon (I refuse to give up my red meat!)

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: High iron levels? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine has a conditional called hemochromatosis diagnosed in his 50's. His body not able to shed dietary iron. The iron builds up in his joints and liver. He keeps this in control by frequently giving blood.

Something to be aware of as it took awhile for the Dr's to figure it out. There is a good summary of the condition here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemochromatosis/basics/definition/con-20023606

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't rush to conclusions. Iron fluctuates greatly throughout the day. If you have a meal or snack with high iron content or a supplement, your levels may be high the next morning or for some it is higher in the afternoon, I had one over 300 once. But I was studying and snacked on a lot of dried fruit, especially raisins. Get rechecked. I'm surprised the doc isn't having this rechecked or checking your iron stores, ferritin etc. That would give a clearer picture.
Last edited by: madonebug: Oct 9, 15 21:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the other two said. It is not uncommon in men because we don't menstruate once a month, well most of us don't with the possible exception of Caitlyn Jenner. But get multiple studies done to see if it is trending up and remaining high. It is not unlike any other heavy metal poisoning and can/does cause some very serious illness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you did labs I assume they were ordered by your doc, what did he say?

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: High iron levels? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doc involved. Insurance doesn't cover doctors visits at the moment. I just go directly to the lab for my annual blood tests and analyze the results myself along with my fiance (she is a PA, but in neurosurgery so not much family med experience). She isn't concerned about it tho and doesn't think more testing is needed, I just tend to worry about these things a bit more, so I probably won't wait a full year for my next test.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply