Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Speed Decending: aerobar or base bar? (picture added)
Quote | Reply
Took two 50mph downhills this weekend, butt still on the seat but with my forearms flat on the base bar. I seem to get quite a bit lower but I also get wider. Control seems about the same but it is nice to have my hands near the brakes. I didn't go back up either time to try the hills on the aerobar, I just kept going. So which way to you think is faster for the really high speed down hill stuff?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: May 5, 15 6:23
Quote Reply
Re: High Speed Decending: aerobar or base bar? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basebar if you need control; tuck if it's a straight bomb.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: High Speed Decending: aerobar or base bar? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get into a similar position with my butt still on thr seat and my chin between the pads. It feels fast. I'm wondering if it really is.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done many 50mph decents, I always have my hands on the basebar with my chin near the stem while holding that speed, which wasn't very long.

Last weekend I did several 40mph decents coasting down to the low 30's. It was always faster tucked with my hands on the base bar until I was slow enough to pedal effectively, normally around 32mph.
Quote Reply
Re: High Speed Decending: aerobar or base bar? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had tried this position before but just got serious on some big hills this spring. I'll be trying it on the big downhill at AZ, looking for 55mph.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get so much better control with hands on the horns.

Pay attention to what happens with your elbows and do your best to keep them straight in line with the horns. You'll be able to feel the air on them if they are sticking out or dropped down.

Good luck in AZ, 55 is fast :)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to believe that position is suicidal.
I know pros do this in road racing, but they are surrounded by other pros at least.
All that weight over the front wheel, absolute rigidity of movement in the bars.
The slightest wobble and road rash is the least of the problems.
Blow a tire, good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: High Speed Decending: aerobar or base bar? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see where you're coming from, but is there really any functional difference between coming off the bike at 40 rather than 50? Either way you're at the mercy of what you land on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: High Speed Decending: aerobar or base bar? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:

Blow a tire, good luck.

Blow a tire at 55 and I don't care what position you're in, it's going to hurt........a lot!!

I'm trying out a modified version of that position with my butt still on the seat. I don't feel any difference in control, I just think it will be faster and I have my hands near the brake levers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Basebar if you need control; tuck if it's a straight bomb.

This can work if it is straight, with good asphalt, no obstacles, etc.

But if you have to corner or brake, uh, not so much.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is going to be slightly faster sitting on the top tube but does feel a bit weired at first. you can stabilise it a lot using your knees on the downtube

just try not to slight as far forward as Martin does ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: High Speed Decending: aerobar or base bar? [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I'm trying:

Should be faster and my hands are near the brakes, and I can just sit up and use the ''air brake'' going into the turns. Don't worry about the legs, I'm not wearing shoes and I'm holding the bike up with my legs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
phog wrote:

Blow a tire, good luck.

Blow a tire at 55 and I don't care what position you're in, it's going to hurt........a lot!!

I'm trying out a modified version of that position with my butt still on the seat. I don't feel any difference in control, I just think it will be faster and I have my hands near the brake levers.
Just to clarify, how do I actually blow a tire?
Quote Reply