Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey?
Quote | Reply
I just read a thread by leegocrap or someone about his Aqua Bike USAT jersey issue...anyhow, here's a poll...IF you won a USAT National Champion jersey at some championship race (USAT seems to have a ton of them...) would you actually wear that jersey in races or just frame it, put in a closet or what?
Would you feel like a dork wearing a Nat Champ jersey at your local races (then get your butt kicked potentially...) or just wear it with pride?

Maybe it'd be different with a World Championship...but some of the sports there are USAT champs for are so thin with depth/quality in the fields it almost seems (to me anyhow) like it'd be less "clout" than winning an Ironman age group like Lake Placid or something, Texas, whatever. But would YOU wear it? What do the ST's pollsters say?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only when my Maillot Jaune is in the laundry :)

If it were me, I'd frame it. I've never raced in my Team Canada kit outside of the worlds, framed them both. I suspect if I ever won something I'd frame it too :) But if I saw someone wearing one I wouldn't care too much, good for them. Just because the depth/quality of the field is thin doesn't take away from the fact that you won the race. If someone had a problem with that they should have shown up to the race.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Sep 14, 14 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, congratulations to anyone getting a Nat Champ anything, hard work, just wondering about it because I've only seen ONE person wear one of them in a race ever. Not sure how long they've been handing them out. But you don't see them often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I (did) frame mine (err...not mine) but I'd think of it like this...

In the distance you won it in (sprint, olympic, aquabike, whatever) it would be "ok" to wear it... not in any other distance. Classier move (imo) would be one wraparound of USA (or whatever your country is) tape at the end of your bar tape... again... only in the distance you won at.

Bad form to wear it in any distance/race you aren't national champ in.

But I guess I'm not a good person to ask... as I am not a national champion :D

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that this will ever apply to me, but I'd wear mine in training. I'm too frugal to purchase new jerseys so I'd put it in the rotation. At races, I wouldn't wear it around. I have my preferred racing gear and, IME, jerseys aren't that comfy to wear after the race. ymmv

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear it at races with pride. Who cares what others think. You earned it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Wear it at races with pride. Who cares what others think. You earned it.

Amen.

If you won it, feel free to wear it. If you bought it, wear it. If you like it, wear it.

People need to spend a lot less time worrying about others think.

Smile, treat others with respect, and wear whatever the hell you want!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm ever lucky enough to earn a stars-n-stripes suit of any sort with my name on it and USA at the same time - I'd wear it for a month straight. If it were national champ - that's a tossup, in that I might just have that one framed.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [benjpi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've come in 2nd place at two different national championships. If / When I finally earn one, I will wear it.

I mean, who really cares? Wear what you want, when you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
I've come in 2nd place at two different national championships. If / When I finally earn one, I will wear it.

I mean, who really cares? Wear what you want, when you want.

My sentiments exactly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would wear mine with slacks to work! (That way my boss would know why I always take 2 hour lunches.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not tri, but with my 24 Hour Solo championship, I have the podium jersey USCA awarded hanging on my wall. That ones staying neat and clean. I did however have a special Stars and Stripes jersey made to with my team/shop kit, as well as one with star bands on sleeves and collar. Those two I wear - although "technically" I can only wear my Stars and Stripes at 24 hour races.

My feeling is that if you've done the work required to win a national championship race, then you can do whatever you want regarding jersey or kit. It's your race, your title and if you want to and feel comfortable wearing the jersey, do it. If you don't feel comfortable with a special jersey, then don't - but don't let others deter you if you want.

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's just me, but mine just hang in the closet. (My Desoto Liftfoil is a much better choice when racing anyway...)

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I wear mine, at a Krispy Kreme 5k in 40 degree weather

Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Negotiator1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And we wonder why triathletes get a bad rap. Epic lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old thread, but having just picked up a National Champions jersey at the Redman 2015 Long Course Nationals, I can speak to why you might not see people wearing them. (Which I too thought was odd. I always figured if I won the jersey, I'd wear it all day, every day; and absolutely race it.)

I will not wear mine, ever. The issue is that the jersey they gave this year is just not of the quality that I expect of race apparel. Mainly, the seams under the arms are prominent. The fabric is also not a very nice material; plastic feeling.

It's too bad. I come from a cycling background, and the National Champions jersey is a very big deal. It drives a lot of attention to state championships, which is where you qualify for Nationals, and to Nationals itself.

I think USAT is doing non-WTC racing a huge dis-service by: having zero or low qualifying standards for Nationals, and not providing a good race jersey OR the opportunity for racers to purchase additional (race worthy) kit. I think if they setup a strict qualifying standard, Nationals might have smaller fields for a few years, but it would eventually pay off with greater athlete demand for a (then) prestigious race. ITU worlds is the same way; given 25 qualifiers per age group for next years long course worlds, there are some age groups where merely showing up Redman got you a worlds slot. Better to have fewer athletes, and prestige. Let the organizer run separate waves with non-qualifiers to fill up the numbers until the prestige of the events increases the depth of the field.

WTC figured out that athletes want that prestige of the selective big event; USAT hasn't yet realized that is the formula, and now have a National Long Course Championship which doesn't even require anyone to qualify for the event.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn wrote:
Old thread, but having just picked up a National Champions jersey at the Redman 2015 Long Course Nationals, I can speak to why you might not see people wearing them. (Which I too thought was odd. I always figured if I won the jersey, I'd wear it all day, every day; and absolutely race it.)

I will not wear mine, ever. The issue is that the jersey they gave this year is just not of the quality that I expect of race apparel. Mainly, the seams under the arms are prominent. The fabric is also not a very nice material; plastic feeling.

It's too bad. I come from a cycling background, and the National Champions jersey is a very big deal. It drives a lot of attention to state championships, which is where you qualify for Nationals, and to Nationals itself.

I think USAT is doing non-WTC racing a huge dis-service by: having zero or low qualifying standards for Nationals, and not providing a good race jersey OR the opportunity for racers to purchase additional (race worthy) kit. I think if they setup a strict qualifying standard, Nationals might have smaller fields for a few years, but it would eventually pay off with greater athlete demand for a (then) prestigious race. ITU worlds is the same way; given 25 qualifiers per age group for next years long course worlds, there are some age groups where merely showing up Redman got you a worlds slot. Better to have fewer athletes, and prestige. Let the organizer run separate waves with non-qualifiers to fill up the numbers until the prestige of the events increases the depth of the field.

WTC figured out that athletes want that prestige of the selective big event; USAT hasn't yet realized that is the formula, and now have a National Long Course Championship which doesn't even require anyone to qualify for the event.

i think we all know that the age group winners at the prestigious redman long course nationals are hardly reflective of who the best long course athletes in the country are. but i'm sure their fb friends who have no clue on are impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General rules for wearing champion jerseys (in a race) is that only the reigning champion can wear it, so you only have a 1 year window.
Likwise, the jersey is event specific, e.g. if you are the national TT championship, you can't wear the jersey in a road race or CX, only TT.
So I guess, the carryover for triathlon would be if you are an aquabike champion (which is a joke, this event is not worthy of championship status), you could
wear your jersey only in aquabike races, not tris, not duathlons, etc. Same thing for Olympic and sprint champions. So I think you would pretty quickly find there
would be very few opportunities to wear the jersey that would fit within the established rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the age group, it's about as competitive at the FOP as any IM 70.3, but without the same depth. As just an example, I placed 21st and 22nd at 2 IM 70.3's this year. At nationals, with probably my best race of the year, placed 24th.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same can be said for many sports, at many levels. Is the US Pro cycling champion the best US cyclist? Most World Tour guys skip the race. Is the Olympic marathon champion the fastest marathon runner in the world? There were 100 Kenyans left out of the event to make room for slower people from other countries. (No, not an exact number; making a general point that fast athletes get left out to make room for more countries.) You could even argue the Kona champion is likely not the fastest triathlete. After all, Richie Porte is not going to race, and that guys is super fast. There are likely others who could be fast on the day, but missed with the KPR qualifying system.

So this leaves one logical conclusion: the champion is the person who negotiates any qualification, shows up, and wins. It is not someone at home, who thinks they could have been faster. Or someone who had a "more important" race to do. Or someone with any other excuse.

Not recognizing that is disrespectful to those who actually show up and race.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Last edited by: Paul Dunn: Oct 5, 15 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd wear in whenever or where ever I wanted.. that's me though. My sponsor wants that kind of thing to hang in a frame, which is cool but for me it goes in a drawer or I'll wear it whenever I want to.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn wrote:
The same can be said for many sports, at many levels. Is the US Pro cycling champion the best US cyclist? Most World Tour guys skip the race. Is the Olympic marathon champion the fastest marathon runner in the world? There were 100 Kenyans left out of the event to make room for slower people from other countries. (No, not an exact number; making a general point that fast athletes get left out to make room for more countries.) You could even argue the Kona champion is likely not the fastest triathlete. After all, Richie Porte is not going to race, and that guys is super fast. There are likely others who could be fast on the day, but missed with the KPR qualifying system.

So this leaves one logical conclusion: the champion is the person who negotiates any qualification, shows up, and wins. It is not someone at home, who thinks they could have been faster. Or someone who had a "more important" race to do. Or someone with any other excuse.

Not recognizing that is disrespectful to those who actually show up and race.
you obviously realize what a stretch you're making. is the podium in kona a good representation of the fastest long course athletes on the planet? i'd say yes or pretty close to it.

is the age group podium at the us long course blah blah blah the fastest? no. are they the 10th or 20th or 30th fastest in the country? in many/most cases, probably not. that's why it's a joke, except for those who do it as they want to elevate their accomplishment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine isn't USAT but I have a USAC State champion TT Jersey. It hangs on my trophy wall. I don't plan to ever wear it. When I compete my times will prove my ability. The jersey is a huge accomplishment that I want to keep on my wall for a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hung mine up on the wall in the living room and that is most likely where it will stay. I don't think it's lame or anything for a recipient to wear it, it's just not my style. Having achieved the title I'm looking forward to bigger things, so I'm not really compelled to wear it. Additionally, receiving attention for my accomplishments in the sport usually makes me a bit uncomfortable...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine would be framed and inlaid to the brick outside my home! UPS would then know to take even longer to deliver my packages as he would obviously think an asshole lived there.
Last edited by: TrekGeek: Oct 5, 15 8:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next