Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie
Quote | Reply
On the heels of the thread earlier about swim cutoff times in a sprint, I decided to ask about/suggest another way to do swim starts.

I started triathlon in 2012 after I nursed a calf strain before a big road race by riding the stationary bike. An awfully slow swimmer (not a floater or breaststroker, but just slow), I decided if I could do a little swimming, I could do a triathlon. Since, I've done numerous sprints, olympics, a HIM, and I am training for my first IM. The background is just to provide context. I am consistently a bottom 10% or swimmer. Top 20% or so bike. Top 10% or so run. It is very unusual and I can usually count on one hand the number of people who beat me who have a slower swim split.

As a BOP swimmer, I see the worst swimmers imaginable. Again, I am distinguishing between slow swimmers (me) and floaters/doggie paddlers.

My suggestion/question is why not have the swim waves separated like this:
  1. People who think they can win the race (M/F)
  2. People who think they can win their age group (M/F)
  3. The usual age brackets (i.e. 20-25, 25-29, etc.)
  4. People who know they will not "swim" the entire course

My theory is this creates the least congestion and the safest environment.

It's no secret there are a lot of people doing sprints who are concerned they won't finish the swim because they can't swim 400 yards. You studs on ST don't see this because you're all Michael Phelps/FOPers, but from my view, I'm dodging people on their back, floaters, and lifeguards providing assistance to people tapping out 25 yards into the race.

A few weeks ago, I watched a sprint where there were so many floaters in the earlier waves that the 3rd/4th waves were definitely disadvantaged. Note: To be clear, this "disadvantaged" group doesn't include me because I'm not winning anything right now either way.

You could still give out the caps based on age brackets and then at the pre-race organizational meeting on the shore, break into the subgroups I suggested. For my money, that time breaking into these groups would be better spent than when the RD goes over the bike course turn-by-turn. "You leave transition...take a left on Johnson Rd...follow to Smith Rd and turn left...go about 3.7 miles to a right on Pine Rd...

...10 minutes later and everyone has stopped listening 9 minutes ago and are just going to follow the person in front of them.

Asking people to seed based on time is a losing proposition. What I am suggesting is a baby step that gets the floaters out of the way. As a slow swimmer. I feel safer swimming in a pack of people swimming freestyle because I can anticipate their body movements. There's far less chance someone is going to unexpectedly flip to their back and start doing that reverse-frog thing with legs kicking outward and arms following. And, if you are a 1:20/100 guy, I'd imagine you'd rather see a bunch of 1:40/100 people in front of you than floaters.

Thoughts? Where am I wrong and what have I not thought of?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't everybody think they can win? I'm always going for gold and I'm always air balling it. Although last Oly race I took 4th. Shit just got real for OLY going forward. :)

Quote | Reply
I think you need a bracket between 3 and 4.

I don't think many that sign up for any race think they won't be able to swim the whole course. I see a lot of folks who know they are a slow swimmer or a nervous swimmer. Many of the local sprint and oly races around here offer a newbie wave that goes last. Only issue when swimming with a bunch of newbies in their own wave panic causes more panic.

I'm sort of like you as a BOP swimmer, but competent swimmer. In over 50 races, I've never had to be rescued or hung on ato ny boat/kayak or the like. I just plain suck as swimming. I've done 4 full IMs, 2 IM ABs, and IM relay. I have spend thousands on swim lessons, and still I'm slow. I train and have had a coach for all my IMs. Of my 6 IM swims most were in the 1:40s, but 2 of my later ones were over 2 hours and I finished within the time cuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

My suggestion/question is why not have the swim waves separated like this:

1. People who think they can win the race (M/F)
  2. People who think they can win their age group (M/F)
  3. The usual age brackets (i.e. 20-25, 25-29, etc.)
  4. People who know they will not "swim" the entire course

1 already exists at many races, the Open/elite, those who can finish in the overall but not get an age group award.
4 already exists at some races as a novice wave.

At USAT races, 2 is a non-starter. You can't start in a wave separate from your age group and still get an age group award.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had that type of arrangement (five waves based on self seeded ability) at a local sprint last summer. At packet stuffing this year, our race director reported that the lifeguards refused to try it again since they were not able to manage all of the weaker swimmers in the water at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2. Because top M30-34 AG'ers should not be in a wave with top F65-69 AG'ers, even if they are all in contention to win their own AG.

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
There's far less chance someone is going to unexpectedly flip to their back and start doing that reverse-frog thing with legs kicking outward and arms following.
That's called elementary backstroke, and it is good for swimming long distances in calm seas because it uses little energy. ;)
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Sep 1, 14 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [Andy_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy_M wrote:
2. Because top M30-34 AG'ers should not be in a wave with top F65-69 AG'ers, even if they are all in contention to win their own AG.

Safety reasons?

Can't imagine a F65-69 who can swim is a bigger liability than a M30-34 who can't swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [AEllswrt93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AEllswrt93 wrote:
We had that type of arrangement (five waves based on self seeded ability) at a local sprint last summer. At packet stuffing this year, our race director reported that the lifeguards refused to try it again since they were not able to manage all of the weaker swimmers in the water at the same time.

So they would rather have them spread all over the course? It's not like some of them are finished before others get in. I can't see how that makes them easier to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
a M30-34 who can't swim.

Why would someone who can't swim be in your contention-to-win-the-AG wave?

Yes, safety reasons. Young men are much more likely to swim overtop of you than older women.

The flaw in your second wave is that there are AG's from very young to very old. The lone 80 year old guy, who will win his AG by default, neither needs nor wants to be in the same wave as the young aggro guys. And I love seeing our 80 year old guy... he is a stalwart in our tri community, and I don't need him getting swum over.

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [Andy_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really what you are suggesting is to have an elite wave and then coral swimmers by ability. Not a bad idea. And in fact that strategy is employed at some WTC races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy_M wrote:
DJRed wrote:
a M30-34 who can't swim.

The lone 80 year old guy, who will win his AG by default, neither needs nor wants to be in the same wave as the young aggro guys. And I love seeing our 80 year old guy... he is a stalwart in our tri community, and I don't need him getting swum over.

Great. Keep him in the race. He doesn't need to put himself into the potential AG winners wave. Let him go off in wave three. He can still win his AG. Winning an AG by default is not winning an AG and he knows that. I am trying to put a little more obvious responsibility on the swimmers to seed themselves. This 80-year-old guy with all his triathlon experience should know that he belongs in wave 3 and not wave 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy_M wrote:
DJRed wrote:
a M30-34 who can't swim.

Why would someone who can't swim be in your contention-to-win-the-AG wave?

Yes, safety reasons. Young men are much more likely to swim overtop of you than older women.

The can't swim guy is not in contention to win AG. My question is why is it better/safer for a 30-35 stud to be in a wave with 30-35 can't-swim-guy than with 65-69 female studette? What it really comes down to is who is coming behind them. Why do you want 40-45 stud swimmer starting behind 30-35 can't-swim-guy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an easier suggestion. Learn to swim.

Too many will opt from points 1 and 2.

Many were poor swimmers, but trained and did something about it. Next we will be asking for swim resting pads in IM, I mean how ridiculous would that be?.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [Roydema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP, what you asking for is a category system... sign the petition here then:

https://www.change.org/...rical-ability-system
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is just tough to get it right - and I can see the problems in every "solution". I think what is typically best is to allow people to self seed with the faster swimmers in the front/middle, slightly slower swimmers towards the outside of the pack and slowest swimmers at the back of the pack. Perhaps if race directors handed out a sheet which detailed suggested self seeding positions, that would help. Once, just before the gun went off, I found out that I was standing at the front/middle of the pack next to a woman who had never done a triathlon before ... I just could not help thinking to myself, "man, this is not going to be a fun swim for you" - but if you have never done a triathlon before - you might not have any idea where you should stand. The problem that I always have with the swim is that in my "wave" I will usually be one of the first few out of the water.... but I am absolutely, certainly, not one of the first to the first buoy - In fact, I am usually in the middle of the pack at that first turn. I just can not sprint that hard from the gun - in the end it works out OK... but man alive, people really go hard and fade out from the start! I do think a beginners wave is a great idea. I suppose you could just have waves by expected swim finish time, but you would have no idea where your placing is throughout the race - and it would really suck for people who have a relatively weak swim leg. Not sure where to put the people who will kill it until the first turn, then float to the end....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't this part of the challenge of the swim...having to deal with everyone in the water? I have run into the previous waves during my swims and experienced the same stuff, people flipping onto there backs, grabbing the buoys, waving for the paddle-boarders, etc. To me, this is what makes it a challenge, almost anyone can swim triathlon distance swims who train at all in the water. I know masters swimmers who do 4000-5000 meter swims and are still fresh, they giggle a little bit when they see what the IM swim distance is. The difference, of course, is that you are out there with ~2000 of your best buddies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, spread them out. It's easier to watch 20 stragglers in each of 5 waves then it is to watch 1 wave of 100 stragglers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer my idea of having people start in 30 or 60 second increments, but I gather that people are really into the mass start even if it means getting kicked in the face.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [Roydema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree. I mean, the arrogance of someone trying to do one of these events without being a swimmer of a certain level. The nerve.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [MDSICT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MDSICT wrote:
agree. I mean, the arrogance of someone trying to do one of these events without being a swimmer of a certain level. The nerve.

You're forgetting this is a participation sport.

Some people simply want to participate.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well - not for very long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most tris with about 500 people I will place about 350 in swim top 15 bike top 20 run top 20 overall. Where would you think I should start in you system ?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Race Directors - Suggestion From a Relative Newbie [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
OP, what you asking for is a category system... sign the petition here then:

https://www.change.org/...rical-ability-system

$50 says they don't even read past the first line.
Last edited by: SPL Tech: Sep 3, 14 0:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a race this summer (Meech Lake Tri) which seeded swimmers by ability, but made you input your estimated swim time when you registered. Then the race had you go off in waves of 30 every minute, seeded by your self-declared time. It may not work for an IM, since the race was ~250 people, but it worked very well from a logistics point of view. All of the top swimmers were off in the distance by the time the 'less than comfortable' swimmers were allowed on the beach. The low wave size meant that there was room for everyone in the wave (1 or 2 deep on the beech), so you could do your thing if it came down to it.

The nice part about having people enter their swim time in advance is that there's no "morning of the race, where do I go?" issues, or "here is my spot, this is my spot" issues that send weaker swimmers forward or have stronger ones behind. You're simply given a number and you go with the group assigned to that number ("#s 160-190, you're up next") .

Sure, some of the weaker/less experienced swimmers might not have the best idea of how long a specific swim will take them, but I'm reasonably sure that a first timer isn't going to put "20 minutes" down for an Olympic swim.

Also, having the first buoy placed strategically helps a lot too (lake swim - first turn buoy is way out in the distance). I'm surprised by how many races don't organize the swim by having the first turn buoy placed as far from the start as possible. (ie: if you're doing a loop, make people go swim out, then turn, rather turn immediately and hug the beach for a while)
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 3, 14 6:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next