Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions
Quote | Reply
I have been battling some moderate lower right back pain off and on for over a year now. I finally resolved to determine the root cause of my discomfort. An MRI revealed that I have a herniated disc in the L4 L5. My primary care doc is referring me to a pain management practice where I will most likely be getting a steroid injection to relieve the pain and reduce the inflammation. Does anyone have any experience with this type of injury and or this type of treatment? What should my expectations be? Will I have any limitations? Are there any alternatives? Obviously I plan on asking these questions to the Doctors as well but it is always nice to get input from other athletes who may have similar experiences. Thanks for the feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two herniated discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1.

It happened when I was about 20 and I went from playing varsity basketball in college to pretty much being immobile overnight (not able to sit, bend, dress myself).

I saw doctors, chiropractors, physiotherapists, acupuncturists and so forth, and nothing helped at all. One surgeon was ready to operate on me right away, got a second opinion from a surgeon that worked with a pro NHL team and he recommended a place called CBI (Canadian). I was given a series of exercises, most to strengthen my lower back and core, and slowly but surely, over time, they helped immensely (close to an hour a day of work). It was probably another six months until I was back running, and now I am totally pain free.

I'm able to train without any nerve pain now, however, I have to stay on top of things with periodic chiropractor adjustments and ART, massage, core work and so forth, and provided that I do, I'm able to swim, bike and run to my hearts content without any limitations (ten years later now).
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love to hear this. Accident 6 months ago got me on the L5-S1. It has been slowly getting back to normal but man has it been a dreadful path so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this confirmed by MRI? How large a rupture? After a year, most if not all the extrusion should have been dissolved and reabsorbed. Get the book by Sarno because after a year a lot of so called "back issues" are mental. You might not want to hear that. Every back is different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
I have been battling some moderate lower right back pain off and on for over a year now. I finally resolved to determine the root cause of my discomfort. An MRI revealed that I have a herniated disc in the L4 L5. My primary care doc is referring me to a pain management practice where I will most likely be getting a steroid injection to relieve the pain and reduce the inflammation. Does anyone have any experience with this type of injury and or this type of treatment? What should my expectations be? Will I have any limitations? Are there any alternatives? Obviously I plan on asking these questions to the Doctors as well but it is always nice to get input from other athletes who may have similar experiences. Thanks for the feedback!

L5S1 rupture in 1998 and 2001. Then L5S1/L3-4 rupture in December 2009 with re-injury to each disc in 2010 trying to get back on the bike too soon.

IMO, nothing is better than PT. Finding out exactly what PT to do and who to see to help guide you is the hard part. For me it was all about strengthening small but important muscles used to stabilize the spine. Some of the experts said it was possible that many muscles were not engaging at all and part of PT was all about getting the right muscles to fire again and do their job.

I have never had any injections but, for some they are a way to reduce inflammation and pain in order to be able to accomplish the PT. Once the acute pain is gone then they are not required and shouldn't be used as a bandaid fix (as they are not a fix). My initial PT was very painful but over time I was able to tolerate more and more PT and eventually normal activity.

Core, stretching and back strength work are a part of the whole routine now whereas they were not prior to the last injury. I should also mention that I've done a ton of work to address proper posture on the bike as well as off the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was confirmed by MRI, my doctor is calling it a mild rupture. I should add that I competed in a full season of races with this injury and the pain only occurs for a few days to a week every couple of months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a nerve root block on L5 4.5 years ago and it did wonders.....I just had my first flare up since about a month ago and had another nerve root block 2 weeks ago. It wasn't as effective as the first time around but it is still feeling better. I'd agree with most of the other posts about working on core and lower back strengthening....I got lazy with that and it bit me in the ass. Before I did the injection this time my sports med doc put me on Prednasone and Lyrica but this didn't really seem to do much more me so I went ahead with the nerve root block. Hope all goes well for you, it can be a long road if you don't take care of it and further injure it. GOOD LUCK!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 2 rounds of steroid injections 3 years ago to treat daily pain from herniated L4/L5. Pain radiated to right hip and leg. No back pain at all. Months of good PT did nothing to help. I was commuting 3+ hours a day round trip and the driving really aggravated the problem. Any run over 7 or 8 miles was torture and leg/foot numbness was frequent. I took a complete break from running for a couple months after the injections then built back up slowly. Also switched to Hoka's. Willing to consider the possibility of placebo effect re shoes and steroids but no problems since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herniated disc L4/L5 and a bulge in the one above it.

Here's some things to know:

- Everyone's back pain and situation is different. What works for me may be horrible for someone else.

- Your pathology is your pathology, but how it manifests itself will be different in different people. When my situation was confirmed the radiologist told me that he'd seen people with the same pathology as me and in total agony and barely able stand-up and walk while others who had no pain or symptoms at all.

The one thing that is fairly constant is the need for having a strong core. But again, here you need to find the moves, the exercises, and the routine, that work for YOU.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going through my own recovery right now. Suffered one this past February. Never was really in pain but a lot of tingling and numbness in my arm. Pretty much just decided that it wasn't going to keep me from doing what I wanted to do. Most of the tingling went away on its own and so I started lifting and working out again. I found that running lifting and mostly stretching out on the bike actually made it feel a lot better. The only problem was that I lost a lot of strength in my right tricep because of it so I am working hard to build that back up and that is going well. The more I do, the better it feels. Let it heal for a while though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing with herniation at L4L5 for about 18 months.I've done a fairly exhaustive review of the medical research. There is little evidence to support use of steroid injections, and although a widespread practice, is in fact an "off-label" use. Last spring the FDA issued a warning (separate from the contamination issue) about them:

http://www.fda.gov/...Safety/ucm394280.htm

Although the warning focuses on "rare but serious" side effects, some of the research seems to indicate that an additional consequence of steroid injections is to create scar tissue, which can create additional complications if surgery becomes necessary.

The other consistent finding in the research seems to be that at two years, surgical and non-surgical, injections vs. non-injections, in terms of pain and functional limitations, these interventions as a group did not make a difference.

As Fleck reiterated, every back is different. My experience is that finding a top notch PT is critical.

Modifications at my desk job have also been key. I cannot sit or stand in one position for long. A treadmill desk has been very helpful. I also have a lumbar support that I carry with me wherever I go.

I don't know yet what the long-term limitations will be. I'm unable to run at this point because of the impact. I can do light cycling (added an extension to my fork and raised my bar a good four inches; only ride on a trainer) and swimming.

Best to you. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Nov 29, 14 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep sucks, L3 herniation L4 locked joint, i first injured surfing then got a lot worse from just starting to bike for first time: 2012. First few weeks were horrible lot of laying on floor a lot. could not run for legit 6 months, took a yr till i could train full time. I was told surgery would help as well by one orthopedic, my physical therapist gave me things to do, mostly core work; i stuck with these things and eventually got better. Just now i am starting to train without worrying about it. Good luck.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 2 years, I've been dealing with L4/L5 & (yes, I have one) L6 disc issues caused by uneven loads due to scoliosis. Running by itself, I was good for maybe 6 miles, but off the bike, my left leg would go numb and I'd get stabbing pains up the left side of my spine. PT and 4 cortisone epidurals have kept that at bay. This past September, though, I herniated my L2/L3 disc on my right side - 8 mm. I got two cortisone epidurals. One to see if it would help. When it didnt, I needed to see a surgeon, which would take two months (a busy neurosurgeon). I got another epidural to help bide my time, but I ended up going to emergency twice, second time in an ambulance for the most horrific radiating pain in my right leg - hydromorphone and Valium injections. I had surgery on the 19th - Interlaminar Lumbar Instrumented Fusion. So far, no leg pain, but still no feeling in my tibia and some tingling. No way to know if that's permanent.

I'm surprised you got an epidural without first seeing a PT for four weeks. I'll be going back to PT and then will investigate where I can start yoga. I've got tight jammies to loosen and core to strengthen. I dont know if I can return to triathlon yet, but I'm migrating more into open water swimming, anyway.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
I've been dealing with herniation at L4L5 for about 18 months.I've done a fairly exhaustive review of the medical research. There is little evidence to support use of steroid injections, and although a widespread practice, is in fact an "off-label" use. Last spring the FDA issued a warning (separate from the contamination issue) about them:

http://www.fda.gov/...Safety/ucm394280.htm

Although the warning focuses on "rare but serious" side effects, some of the research seems to indicate that an additional consequence of steroid injections is to create scar tissue, which can create additional complications if surgery becomes necessary.

The other consistent finding in the research seems to be that at two years, surgical and non-surgical, injections vs. non-injections, in terms of pain and functional limitations, these interventions as a group did not make a difference.

As Fleck reiterated, every back is different. My experience is that finding a top notch PT is critical.

Modifications at my desk job have also been key. I cannot sit or stand in one position for long. A treadmill desk has been very helpful. I also have a lumbar support that I carry with me wherever I go.

I don't know yet what the long-term limitations will be. I'm unable to run at this point because of the impact. I can do light cycling (added an extension to my fork and raised my bar a good four inches; only ride on a trainer) and swimming.

Best to you. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

I slipped and fell on my back at our swimming pool. I was getting to the point at times I could barely walk.

I ended up getting the steroid injection and they saved my life. I came off the table feeling no pain!

So, this might be off label, but it sure worked for me.

As before this, I continue to try and do core exercises 3 days a week and keep my fingers crossed. It does come back here and there, but since I am older, ....

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of pain in my left leg earlier this year and a CT scan showed that I had some disc material from a herniation of a bulging disc impacting on my left leg nerve. My physio has been treating me with traction and ultra sound. I am also doing core strength and stability exercises. At present the pain has completely gone away. Having said that I have been through three cycles so far of pain developing, getting worse, stopped running, pain improves.
The pain has been excruciating when present but I have been in the fortunate position that it is greatly reduced by bending my back, so cycling is a great form of pain relief. When I have the pain swimming is mixed with regards to pain and running is impossible.
My last (and worst) pain cycle started the day I arrived in Hawaii for the Ironman this October. Found I could not walk 200 metres without sitting down to relieve the pain and visited a walk in clinic twice to get some pain relief. (Didn't find any meds that actually helped.) Eventually I developed a method of walking while leaning forward to reduce the pain. Completed the Ironman by walking the marathon with my upper body at an angle of 45 o. I shouldn't have raced but it was Hawaii!
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you found relief. Everyone with a back issue needs to figure out what works for their back.

Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that finding what works for you is key. I had given up just about all exercise when my back pain got bad. I was ready for surgery but as a last ditch effort I went and saw a new PT. He had a different treatment and within 2 weeks I was almost 100%. I could play golf again, run, and pick up my newborn son.

A maintenance program is important. For me, it is centered on nerve flossing.

http://www.kitchener-waterloo-chiropractor.com/exercises_for_sciatic_nerve.html

When I feel a flair up coming I can kill it pretty easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good link. I like the other stuff on that site as well. Had most of it prescribed to me by PT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I deal with patients with back pain and herniated disks in my practice, and I have 2 of them myself (herniated disks that is.) I have been through bouts of strained backs, the worst one I was in bed straight for days and had to use a walker to walk because I could not bear weight on one of my legs due to the pain. As long as you do not have neurological compromise (muscle paralysis), the recommended treatment is conservative. Physical therapy, core strengthening, but most importantly learning how to move on a daily basis to avoid flare ups. One wrong reach/twist/turn and you may be out for days. A steroid shot may help if your pain is neurological in origin (sciatica). I will warn you, that my worst case of strained back was 2 days after the steroid shot: the shot took away the pain, I became careless, and BOOM. So be careful. Best of luck. It will be better in 2-3 years, as long as you learn how to live with it.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epidural injections are somewhat controversial for back pain. For acute disc herniations and " sciatica" they work well to reduce pain in the short term. Here's a very recent article on the subject (http://journals.lww.com/...ural_Steroids.3.aspx). Once you look long term its tougher to deduce the effectiveness because many pains improve. In your case, axial back pain does not respond as consistently as leg pain. As you've seen in just this thread there are many treatments for back pain varying from exercises, PT, chiropractic, epidural/facet/SI injections, yoga, surgery, ,,,,,,,, . That's because there is not one answer for everyone's back pain. If one thing worked really well, then all the others would fade away. Getting a correct diagnosis and assessment is crucial.

good luck

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Was this confirmed by MRI? How large a rupture? After a year, most if not all the extrusion should have been dissolved and reabsorbed. Get the book by Sarno because after a year a lot of so called "back issues" are mental. You might not want to hear that. Every back is different.

I herniated a disc in my lower back and noticed the pain dropped dramatically after a year, before that it was hell.

You are right in pain is a complex beast, one thing that really helped me get past the worst of it was taking an anti depressant, when i felt good the back pain was just so much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Herniated disc L4 - L5 questions [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i also have an l4/5 herniation from an accident when i was a teenager. i see my chiropractor every other week and do my stretch/strengthen routine without fail. i have been able to do 25 marathons and 10 ims. every once in a while i have some nerve pain/weakness down my legs and feet, but it's rare now. best of luck! i would be wary of the cortisone injections as that will not get to the root of your issue. just be patient!!! no pun intended:)
Quote Reply