Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with the heat
Quote | Reply
This weekend at Cozumel 70.3 I solidified the fact that my body can not race in hot and humid climates secondary to not just a "leg cramp" but my legs completely locking up. I was destroyed in Texas in 2015 and again in Madison this past June. This season I had some of the best runs off a swim and a bike including an 18min 5k and a 38min 10k all of which were in the high 60's low 70 degrees. Leading up to Cozumel I've done multiple 70.3 race pace simulations at home with 90min rides at 250watts followed by 6-8miles at a 6:40-6:50 race pace without a problem. I got off the bike again just before the dismount line this weekend and my leg was completely locked up, I couldn't move. I did not over bike (I actually averaged 10 watts less in fear of this happening) I started to jog out of T2 and my legs cramped up again by mile 1. I hobbled the next 3 miles before calling it quits in fear of causing myself harm in another country. I made sure I was adequately hydrated before the race in the 2 days leading up to it. I had 2 x 24oz bottles of EFS and likely an extra 10-15oz of water and Gatorade from aid stations on the bike. My electrolytes (including my sodium) are fine. The only thing I can come up with is that my fluid losses far exceed my fluid intake only when it is hot and humid. From what I've read, the body can't really absorb more than 1.2L per hour at maximum and I was just a few Oz. Shy of that. Maybe it would come down to doing better heat training prior to racing in a hot and humid climate, I really don't know. I am going to do some sweat rate testing in the near future but if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with the heat [mtstanek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you at race weight? I hear heavy folks have a tougher time in heat than thinner folks in general.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Help with the heat [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I am 5'9" 150 pounds wet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never raced well in the heat....until Madison 70.3 this year. My coach capped my bike wattage ridiculously low. He also cut my calories way back. I did as told, because I don't doubt him, and had an awesome break through performance with a top 20 OA finish.

My guess is you haven't pulled the throttle back far enough yet in hot conditions.

Ymmv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have work with many athletes that ''self declare'' them self bad in the heat.

What i notice is

-pacing was wrong..going too hard in the heat. They simply need to slow down for the conditions
-nutrition plan wasn't adjusted for the condition
-preparation/adaptation to heat wasn't done properly.

All those elements are under your control.

Almost everyone can learn to be good in the heat if you put the time and effort and break down that mental barrier...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mtstanek wrote:
Good question. I am 5'9" 150 pounds wet

I am 6'5 160 and have seemed to run well in the heat compared to others. Been told some of it is because I am all skin and bones. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Help with the heat [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know that I’m great in the heat but I manage fairly well. Have to get used to a little as over the last 15 years lived in FL and now SC. But certainly it’s slowing down and hydrating well. Easier said than done of course especially during a race when you’re trying to hit some time goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live? Are you training in the heat? How long before the race did you get to Cozumel? If you live in a coolish area and don't have the time to get to the race area a week before to get used to the heat you might just be best to stick with races in cooler weather. I got destroyed in St. Croix two years ago. Training at home in max 60 degrees outside and got to race site 2 days before. Bike was okay but run was mostly a walk.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many scoops of EFS in those 24oz bottles? How many cals and sodium?

What did you have for breakfast?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you exposed to similar temperatures on long training rides and runs? Yes, it's an obvious question but acclimation is important.

You will end up dehydrated to some degree while racing in the heat. It is normal to lose weight due to fluid loss during racing, and up to a point, your body should function fine with a several % of body weight lost in fluid. The human body has evolved to cope with that.

Trying to maintain pre-race weight may lead to over-hydration and its associated risks.

Having said that, some people definitely cope better than others with environmental extremes, whether that be high or low temperatures, high altitude, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with the heat [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was definitely prepared to not be running 6:40's off the bike but that is a great point, I may just need to cut back the bike wattage even more. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Help with the heat [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is a big component as well. I live in Chicago. Luckily it was high 80's low 90's the 10 days prior to the race but the humidity just wasn't there. I got here on Friday for the race on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with the heat [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 scoops per 24oz so about 200 cal per bottle and a pretty high amount of Sodium. I always do about 300 cals of peanut butter 3 hours before race start and I take down a good 20oz of electrolyte drink and then I sip on more until the gun goes off.
Quote Reply