Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with run post mortem
Quote | Reply
Hey dudes,

So this weekend I had my first sprint tri of the year. I don't do much swim training but as an ex national swimmer I can always hold my own there so was happy enough with an easy 5 min 400m pool swim. The bike I hadn't been looking forward to having been low on miles for the last couple of years but actually had a really good enjoyable ride, kept hr down and didn't overcook it.

Then came the run. I've been on about 20-30mpw with the run over the last 9-10 weeks so I was looking forward to having a go at a new 5k pb. It was an out and back with the first half a gentle downhill, then gentle uphill on the way back. Around half way I got the worst shin cramps I've ever had, could barely even walk! I ended up limping home on the run in agony!

So, I'm wondering what the cause could have been? I've done lots of runs in those shoes before although this year most of my runs have been in different shoes, so maybe that? Also wondering if it could be anything to do with bike fit? Definitely wasn't hydration/feeling!

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Last edited by: Pb: May 2, 17 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a run post morgen [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pb wrote:
Hey dudes,

So this weekend I had my first sprint tri of the year. I don't do much swim training but as an ex national swimmer I can always hold my own there so was happy enough with an easy 5 min 400m pool swim. The bike I hadn't been looking forward to having been low on miles for the last couple of years but actually had a really good enjoyable ride, kept hr down and didn't overcook it.

Then came the run. I've been on about 20-30mpw with the run over the last 9-10 weeks so I was looking forward to having a go at a new 5k pb. It was an out and back with the first half a gentle downhill, then gentle uphill on the way back. Around half way I got the worst shin cramps I've ever had, could barely even walk! I ended up limping home on the run in agony!

So, I'm wondering what the cause could have been? I've done lots of runs in those shoes before although this year most of my runs have been in different shoes, so maybe that? Also wondering if it could be anything to do with bike fit? Definitely wasn't hydration/feeling!

Sorry I don't think I have any great insight on your shin problem except that your calves which would possibly have been tight anyway off the bike, took the opportunity of a downhill to tighten further without you realising until you turned around and tried to stretch them again...then the shins went on strike in sympathy.

However, my main reason for posting is to ask about the thread title......what's a "post morgen"?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a run post morgen [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha whoops! Meant post mortem!! Good point about the bike to downhill transition, any way to prevent that?

Ai_1 wrote:
Pb wrote:
Hey dudes,

Sorry I don't think I have any great insight on your shin problem except that your calves which would possibly have been tight anyway off the bike, took the opportunity of a downhill to tighten further without you realising until you turned around and tried to stretch them again...then the shins went on strike in sympathy.

However, my main reason for posting is to ask about the thread title......what's a "post morgen"?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with run post mortem [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be the shoes, or the combination of biking and then running. Have you done any practice bike/runs with the same shoes before? Your swimming background definitely works against you here!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with run post mortem [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was going to ask about how many race simulations (bricks) you did in advance? When I first start doing bricks again leading up to a race sometimes I have issues with shin tightness. Never sure why but it stops happening the more bricks I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with run post mortem [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I guess it could be the lack of brick sessions, not done any this year, but even my first triathlons I never had this kind of shin pain and that was with zero bike to run practise! Definitely aiming to get more brick sessions in now though!

nickwhite wrote:
Could be the shoes, or the combination of biking and then running. Have you done any practice bike/runs with the same shoes before? Your swimming background definitely works against you here!
Quote Reply