Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with removing Desoto T1 wetsuit
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Desoto T1 wetsuit and am very happy with how it feels in the water. My problem is taking it off after the swim. When I tried it on in the store, I had a hard time taking the top off, after 5 minutes of struggling, I was able to do it. The sale guy told me it's much easier when the suit is wet. Well, the wetsuit was wet this morning after my swim but I still had a hard time removing it. Do you have any tips in removing these? I'm almost contemplating not using it for my up coming race because I'm afraid I won't be able to get out of it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with removing Desoto T1 wetsuit [socalrunner99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a T1 "dos" which is made of slightly less stretchy rubber, and had concerns over a fast removal in the first race I used it. First of all, check out http://www.t1wetsuits.com/specs.html for a quick time movie on how you should remove it (basically cross your arms and pull the top off from the bottom like removing a shirt). Next, I've found that if you flood your suit (pull the neck down to let water in) just before you try and remove it makes a huge difference and it should just pop right off. Experiment in the shower or pool to practice before the race.

B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the "crossed arms" thing, but instead of just trying to pull it up and off, pull it up and out (away from your body) enough to hook it over your elbow. Then using your elbow as a fulcrum, lever both arms up - the top will pop right off. This works very well for me, and I have a severely unstable shoulder that will dislocate if I apply too much force (any) in the wrong direction.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the "deep knee bend in the water" method when the top has not popped right off. Basically, as you pull the suit up, squat down and let the water help lift the top off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I've been lucky. I've used my T1
in two races and have had no problem removing
the top before I'm out of the water. What works for
me is the cross arm method while digging in your elbows and pull it away from your body and up. Also I leave my goggles on and so far they have stayed on. I have the T1 top off and the pullovers on the bibjohn down before most have their zippers undone.
Before my first race I was afraid I would have it stuck around my neck asking for help. Keep practicing and good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As some have already suggested use the cross arm method. What I do is cross my arms to grab the bottom of the suit, lever the elbows so that you pull the bottom of the suit over the elbows, lift up and away. Off it comes. Never had a problem getting it off.

Re: Help with removing Desoto T1 wetsuit [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"
Quote:
but instead of just trying to pull it up and off, pull it up and out (away from your body) enough to hook it over your elbow. "

That is exactly how I pull it off but I also flood it with water just before I start to pull it off. Also, put a ton of body glide on your back and on the bibs when you are putting the suit on. The body glide seems to reallly help also.

Rusty

"Strategy? The strategy was in the preparation" - Lance Armstrong after winning 2000 TDF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issues at first. The more you do it, the easier it gets. One trick to try that will give you more leverage is when you cross your arms and start to pull the top up, catch your elbow (for me, the right elbow) under the edge of the suit as your (left) hand pulls up and out. Arch your back a little and it should slide right off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too use the crossarmed approach and had a ton of problems getting my T1 off when I first tried. I feared I had bought an expensive wetsuit that I wouldn't be able to race in. My first attempts were with the suit dry, so things got much better after trying with the suit wet. I also found I was a bit timid in my first attempts on the initial pull. Grab ahold of that sucker and pull it up like you mean it!! Also try bending your knees a bit before you start pulling up on the suit, then stand up getting your whole body moving upwards as you start the pulling motion. Once the suit is up around your elbows, flap your elbows upwards and the suit should literally pop off.

Good luck!
Last edited by: asd99: Jun 13, 03 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had trouble getting my T-Dos off and on but after I got a larger size I found that if I pulled the bottom over either elbow, for me it's the right since I'm right handed, there is enough leverage to pull the top over my head as I'm leaving the water to T1. As long as you can hook it over one elbow you're home free.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you just described the only major flaw the T1 has.... if your doing sprints, and you want to have a fast and easy to remove wetsuit...well, unfortunately... you should have gotten a Piel.

That being said, I have yet to get the T1 off by pulling it over my head with arms crossed (or arms not crossed - for that matter). Instead, I am able to get the wetsuit off by getting the wetsuit rolled up to my arm pits then reach over my head and behind my back with one arm and pulling it over my head. I seem to be the only person I have seen able to successfully to remove the T1 this way. It's not easy. But, for me it's still the easiest and fastest (and, I use those terms loosely) to remove the great fitting and swim perfect T1 wetsuit. Needless to say, I only use the T1 for longer distance tris.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Help with removing Desoto T1 wetsuit [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe,

I am curious if your decision to use the Piel over the T1 for sprints or shorter distance tris would be affected if you were able to more easily remove the top via the crossarmed or some other method?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with removing Desoto T1 wetsuit [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an easy question....

speed of removal and ease of removal are too different concepts.

Speed of removal is dependent mostly on experience (i.e., the learning curve of removing a particular wetsuit design). And, Ease of removal is dependent upon design.

While it might be possible to reduce the difference in speed of removal between the Piel and T1. ...Although the Piel would still be faster for one big reason - You can remove it while on the run. The T1 can never be totally removed while on the run since you have to stop and take the bottom off.

The ease of removal for the Piel is significantly better than the Piel because it has two zippers. It just falls off as you run to your bike. That can never be duplicated by the T1. That being said, the weak point of the Piel is the stiffness the zippers add to the suit. In effect, the very design that makes it easy and fast to remove is the same thing that makes less comfortable to swim in for long periods of time. During short tris - swim time is less relevant and removal time becomes more relevant.

I guess the answer to your question is this -

The T1 could never be easier to remove than the Piel because of it's design. The speed of removal may be similar (although still slower - see above) it will not be easier to remove regardless of how much additional learning I achieve. The Piel and T1 are two different designs with different advantages and disadvantages. With the Piel the instructions to remove are this - at any point upon exiting the water, pull up on the two zippers then continue your run to bike. You can't get any easier than this - period. No BodyGlide... No water dipping... No tugging... No pulling over... No using your lats....no anything. In essense, there is no easy method (when compared to the Piel) to remove the T1.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
easy removal vs. easy donning [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I usually think that the product reviews in the magazines are too fluffy and not critical enough, one of them on wetsuits said something about the Piel that I was glad to read beforehand....

"Make sure you have somebody with you who loves you to help you into it before the race."

Since I attend many races alone I decided against the Piel; pre-race aggravation can be as costly as it is in transition sometimes. That, and being zipper-free was my primary motivation to get the T1, NOT ease of removal.

In fact, I bought the Dos rather than the T1 and I haven't had any complaints about removing it, but I can tell that's not true for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: easy removal vs. easy donning [surferdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...the review got that right... it's really tough to get on (if not impossible by yourself). However, I too go to many a race by myself...never once have I not found someone to help me get it on. I struck up some pretting interesting conversation during the process... Unfortunately, a few dagnabits and fricken #&^%*! wetsuits seems to come out every now and then when it's seems to bit more difficult than normal. However, I can say that the T1 top can be a bit tricky at times also... every now and then, I don't get the arms just right at the start and it gets twisted around the shoulders... a few dagnabits and fricken #&^%! have came out then also.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply