Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with my gadgets
Quote | Reply
Over the past year or so I've been gathering gadgets and would like some help sorting them out. My issue is not knowing which pairing (device with app) might be best for each session being bike trainer, bike outdoor (soon), run treadmill, run outdoor, swim (right now I'm just trying not to drown).

Here's a rundown of what I currently have;

Devices
Garmin Vivofit
Garmin Edge 500
Garmin Speed AND cadence
Wahoo TickR Run
Minoura mag 500
Iphone 5s
Treadmill at gym
AppleTV (I use this to mirror iphone with trainerroad)

Software/Apps
Garmin Express/connect
Trainerroad (1yr Sub)
Wahoo Fitness
Last edited by: SKRider: Mar 5, 15 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my gadgets [SKRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont' get it? Why not just use your Forerunner 500 for everything with appropriate accessories for each activity?

Unless you managed to find a use for your speed/cadence sensor for running, I'm interested in that.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my gadgets [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
I dont' get it? Why not just use your Forerunner 500 for everything with appropriate accessories for each activity?

Unless you managed to find a use for your speed/cadence sensor for running, I'm interested in that.

Ooops...Edge 500 (I edited the post)

Yes, I'd like the cadence for running. I guess the situation I'm in is this, is there any need for me to use the Edge 500 on the bike/trainer when I'm using trainerroad? Also, I've been using Garmin Connect as my main app to dump everything into. Is this fine?

I'm sure this all looks to some as being straight forward, I'm just starting to find redundancy in areas and would like to eliminate that if all possible.
Last edited by: SKRider: Mar 5, 15 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont' see any use of a bike computer when using trainerroad. I just download the gpx file from the trainerroad website and manually upload it to Garmin Connect. I like using this generated file because it automatically separates interval/rest periods into its own lap.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my gadgets [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
I dont' see any use of a bike computer when using trainerroad. I just download the gpx file from the trainerroad website and manually upload it to Garmin Connect. I like using this generated file because it automatically separates interval/rest periods into its own lap.

That's the one that got me thinking...I'm thinking the central app should also be garmin connect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll chime in here since I have a pretty well oiled setup for myself. I use the following

Garmin Forerunner 920XT
Garmin Edge 510
Garmin HRM-RUN
Garmin Foot Pod
PowerTap G3 Hub
Withings Wi-Fi Scale
CompuTrainer Pro
Training Peaks Premium
Garmin Connect
Strava
MyFitnessPal

Software:
You can connect TP and Strava to Garmin Connect to auto Sync. This Syncs the workouts so I just need to edit and add comments and session details. One less step to do but those details have to manually be added to the 3 platforms if you care to maintain true synchronized data across all 3. I just fill the details into one and then copy & Paste to the other two. Typically TP is the central place since my workout was planned and outlined in there.

Swimming:
I use the Forerunner 920XT for indoor and outdoor workouts. It tracks all the valuable metrics I need to hit my KPIs for each session. When I am done swimming it auto uploads to Garmin Connect which syncs to Strava and Training Peaks.

Biking:
I use my Edge 510 with the ANT+ Relay option in TP so that I'm getting all the data I want and removing the need to manually download the file from TR to Upload to Garmin Connect. The Garmin captures some metrics TR is missing like temperature, elevation, and a few others. My Powertap/Computrainer takes care of the cadence and power output removing the need for a secondary sensor. I also use my HRM paired to the Edge 510 to get those additional details rather than the proprietary CompuTrainer HRM.

Running:
I use the Forerunner 920XT for all my running paired with the HRM-RUN to get the maximum amount of metrics to use. Also for indoor running on the treadmill I ensure accuracy with the foot pod rather than the internal accelerometer. Runs are automatically synced to Garmin Connect which then pushes them to the other two.

Recovery:
I use the Forerunner 920XT with a custom made "Activity" to track this as well. I most use it to track duration while foam rolling, stretching. Surprisingly the interval function has proved to be of the most value when I need to focus on holding a tough stretch and ignore clock watching. It beeps I switch poses/stretch and keep my focus on that not on how long I've got left to go. It also tracks my sleeping and "other" activities via step tracking. I also use MyFitnessPal to track all my food and water intake which then syncs with TP/GC. MyFitnessPal also takes the weight measurements from my Withings Scale and auto updates my weight in Myfitnesspal however this does not sync to TP or GC as of yet.

I'm sure others have their own methods but for me this setup means the lowest level of manual work I can get away with still keeping all 3 platforms active and accurate. This gives me a great overview of my entire training and allows others to quickly see what data they need to to help me further tailor my training to get the best results possible. Hope these details help you a bit. Keep plugging away in the pool and you'll get it soon enough!!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my gadgets [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I'll chime in here since I have a pretty well oiled setup for myself. I use the following

Garmin Forerunner 920XT
Garmin Edge 510
Garmin HRM-RUN
Garmin Foot Pod
PowerTap G3 Hub
Withings Wi-Fi Scale
CompuTrainer Pro
Training Peaks Premium
Garmin Connect
Strava
MyFitnessPal

Software:
You can connect TP and Strava to Garmin Connect to auto Sync. This Syncs the workouts so I just need to edit and add comments and session details. One less step to do but those details have to manually be added to the 3 platforms if you care to maintain true synchronized data across all 3. I just fill the details into one and then copy & Paste to the other two. Typically TP is the central place since my workout was planned and outlined in there.

Swimming:
I use the Forerunner 920XT for indoor and outdoor workouts. It tracks all the valuable metrics I need to hit my KPIs for each session. When I am done swimming it auto uploads to Garmin Connect which syncs to Strava and Training Peaks.

Biking:
I use my Edge 510 with the ANT+ Relay option in TP so that I'm getting all the data I want and removing the need to manually download the file from TR to Upload to Garmin Connect. The Garmin captures some metrics TR is missing like temperature, elevation, and a few others. My Powertap/Computrainer takes care of the cadence and power output removing the need for a secondary sensor. I also use my HRM paired to the Edge 510 to get those additional details rather than the proprietary CompuTrainer HRM.

Running:
I use the Forerunner 920XT for all my running paired with the HRM-RUN to get the maximum amount of metrics to use. Also for indoor running on the treadmill I ensure accuracy with the foot pod rather than the internal accelerometer. Runs are automatically synced to Garmin Connect which then pushes them to the other two.

Recovery:
I use the Forerunner 920XT with a custom made "Activity" to track this as well. I most use it to track duration while foam rolling, stretching. Surprisingly the interval function has proved to be of the most value when I need to focus on holding a tough stretch and ignore clock watching. It beeps I switch poses/stretch and keep my focus on that not on how long I've got left to go. It also tracks my sleeping and "other" activities via step tracking. I also use MyFitnessPal to track all my food and water intake which then syncs with TP/GC. MyFitnessPal also takes the weight measurements from my Withings Scale and auto updates my weight in Myfitnesspal however this does not sync to TP or GC as of yet.

I'm sure others have their own methods but for me this setup means the lowest level of manual work I can get away with still keeping all 3 platforms active and accurate. This gives me a great overview of my entire training and allows others to quickly see what data they need to to help me further tailor my training to get the best results possible. Hope these details help you a bit. Keep plugging away in the pool and you'll get it soon enough!!

Thanks for the input CSH...While I was hoping to utilize the devices and software I currently have, I'm sure open to looking at a more automated system. I've been having lots of issues by way of drop outs and inaccurate readings from the TickR Run so it's time with me is limited. I was thinking of going with the garmin HRM/Pod you mention in hopes of improved accuracy. That said, the memory that of the TickR X would be great and remove the need to lug the iphone around which I currently have no way of doing once the cold is gone and I deep six the clothing (warmed up to -2C yesterday so It's close).

As for the swim, well....let's call it a work in progress...I'm hitting the pool a min of 3 times a week and will move that to 4 next...I'm not doing anything more than just freestyle and my only other requirement (other than getting there 4x's a week) is swimming for 45-50 mins. I don't count laps yet, but will start that soon as I'd like to improve on my horrible time last year as well as move up to Oly length so I've go my work cut out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are you using the TICKR Run and an app via the iPhone? Is the phone being placed in a pocket or do you use a sport arm band? The reason I ask is I find keeping the phone on the arm puts it closer to the sensor resulting in far less drop outs. Something to consider none the less.

I began with a 3 device setup (Garmin SWIM, Garmin Edge 500, Garmin Forerunner 220) similar to your own. It came about that each step of the way when I was new I'd see a need for a new metric and get that auxiliary device (e.g. Garmin Speed Cadence) but when I finally got to the end where I was getting all the data I wanted I then began looking at how to make life easier to manage that data. That is where the Bluetooth connectivity of the newer Garmin stuff proved invaluable. With a bit of organization it was easy but still took some time away from my "regular life". It's not the end of the world but it also left less room for manual error as well.

With your setup I'd still do what I do with Trainerroad. Capture all your rides on one device so when you're reviewing the data it's apples to apples. It's as easy and checking a box off and pressing Start/Stop for your session. Also there is a old trick for Open Water swimming where you can use the Edge 500 to track via placing it under your swim cap on the rear of your head. I used 2 swim caps when I did this back in the day Swim Cap > Googles and Garmin(inside a double layer of ziplock bags as those things aren't water proof) and then finally a top Swim Cap. It'll at least capture distance and speed fairly accurately. Of course you'll still have to plug in the device and sync via Garmin Express but thats not too bad.

For the swimming keep it up but let me let you in on the biggest change I made to my swim training. Don't waste your time regularly doing long sets of length after length working towards that race distance number. Break the distance into smaller lengths but covers the total distance to 150% of your target distance minimum. Then every 4-6 weeks do a time trial of your target distance to review your progress. An example of this would be

Olympic Distance = 1500M
Each Training set should be minimum 2200M broken down into smaller harder efforts
Example:
2 X 100M Warm Up with 10s Rest (200M)
8 X 25M Full Out w/ 15s rest (200M)
8 X 100M just above race pace w/ 10s rest (800M)
4 X 100M KICK ONLY steady pace w/ 10s rest (400M)
8 X 25M Full Out w/ 20s Rest (200M)
2x 200 Slow easy Cool down pace (400M)
Total Distance = 2200M

Also the best tool in the pool has been a Finis Tempo Trainer Pro. It helped me develop a rhythm I didn't have before. Something to consider for an under $50 purchase that when used correctly results in big gains. Hope this helps you in some way. Good Luck!

------
Quote Reply
Re: Help with my gadgets [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
So are you using the TICKR Run and an app via the iPhone? YES Is the phone being placed in a pocket or do you use a sport arm band? Right now pocket (I don't have an arm band - Recommend one?) The reason I ask is I find keeping the phone on the arm puts it closer to the sensor resulting in far less drop outs. Something to consider none the less.

I began with a 3 device setup (Garmin SWIM, Garmin Edge 500, Garmin Forerunner 220) similar to your own. It came about that each step of the way when I was new I'd see a need for a new metric and get that auxiliary device (e.g. Garmin Speed Cadence) but when I finally got to the end where I was getting all the data I wanted I then began looking at how to make life easier to manage that data. That is where the Bluetooth connectivity of the newer Garmin stuff proved invaluable. With a bit of organization it was easy but still took some time away from my "regular life". It's not the end of the world but it also left less room for manual error as well. Yes, this is my same situation in that I'm continually adding/changing devices as I become more aware the importance of data in training

With your setup I'd still do what I do with Trainerroad. Capture all your rides on one device so when you're reviewing the data it's apples to apples. It's as easy and checking a box off and pressing Start/Stop for your session. Also there is a old trick for Open Water swimming where you can use the Edge 500 to track via placing it under your swim cap on the rear of your head. I used 2 swim caps when I did this back in the day Swim Cap > Googles and Garmin(inside a double layer of ziplock bags as those things aren't water proof) and then finally a top Swim Cap. It'll at least capture distance and speed fairly accurately. Of course you'll still have to plug in the device and sync via Garmin Express but thats not too bad. I'll have to look more into this. I don't currently use a swim cap (bald) but this all sounds pretty straight forward

For the swimming keep it up but let me let you in on the biggest change I made to my swim training. Don't waste your time regularly doing long sets of length after length working towards that race distance number. Break the distance into smaller lengths but covers the total distance to 150% of your target distance minimum. Then every 4-6 weeks do a time trial of your target distance to review your progress. An example of this would be

I should state (and this will show just how bad I am) that I'm currently having a hard time stringing together a solid 200m without employing the pull buoy. When I do use it, I can do 45mins of fairly hard effort non-stop. I've watched countless vids on "the kick" and have also used the kick board but haven't figured that part out yet. Somehow I managed to get through my sprint swim last summer which was not wetsuit legal....but, there was quite a bit of side/back stroke time to do it

Olympic Distance = 1500M
Each Training set should be minimum 2200M broken down into smaller harder efforts
Example:
2 X 100M Warm Up with 10s Rest (200M)
8 X 25M Full Out w/ 15s rest (200M)
8 X 100M just above race pace w/ 10s rest (800M) - How, do I gauge race pace?
4 X 100M KICK ONLY steady pace w/ 10s rest (400M)
8 X 25M Full Out w/ 20s Rest (200M)
2x 200 Slow easy Cool down pace (400M)
Total Distance = 2200M
This all looks very difficult but achievable although I may have to start by using the pull buoy on some drills.

Also the best tool in the pool has been a Finis Tempo Trainer Pro. It helped me develop a rhythm I didn't have before. Something to consider for an under $50 purchase that when used correctly results in big gains. Hope this helps you in some way. Good Luck! I've got this item in my amazon cart ready to order. Thanks for all your suggestions and advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with that swim set (or similar) and use whichever tools that help you get through it. Also don't go into it the first time expecting to complete it but rather use it as a progressive goal. First time maybe you get 20% through it, nxt time maybe 25% etc etc. Once you can complete it in full you'll have seen yourself improve and then you can alter it to add in a new level of difficulty. Perhaps by removing the pull buoy for example on 50% of the sets.

ArmBands are a dime a dozen now so just get one that you like. Yurbuds make one that likely available. I personally use lifeproof but they are overkill in hindsight.

When you get the tempo trainer look into CSS Testing and Swim Smooths training designed around it. Some pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

Try these drills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDBVZQlLdoY - This is great way to focus on the catch and pull. Use a pullbuoy if need be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-K60eMHVCM - Alter this one, use a kickboard pointed in the correct direction. It will lengthen your stroke.

------
Quote Reply