Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with final decision
Quote | Reply
I am at the brink of buying a new TT frame, after finally admitting that mine is just too small. I am down to the QR Caliente versus the Felt B2. Both would suit my needs in my size; they're about the same price. In a tie, I would get the QR due to the slightly longer front-center in my size. (I'm just swapping all of my components over.)

The Cervelo geometry doesn't have the f-c and wheelbase I want; same with many other good bikes. I want it steep and I want it long, and I want it under $1,300 with fork.

Any thoughts from the gang out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with final decision [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what sizes are you looking at?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a definetly a fan of both those lines.

The thing is, the Caliente isn't usually availible as a frameset. The b2 is one of the few bikes/frames in that price category that can come as just a frameset.

-It's not how fast you are, it's how fast you look
Quote Reply
Re: Help with final decision [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what sizes are you looking at?
The 58/59. My saddle height is 79 cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, availability may make the decision for you. Last time I checked, Felt was out of 58cm framesets, so my LBS couldn't even order one. I was told mid to late March ETA for the next "batch" coming over from Taiwan, but that if I wanted one of those, I'd have to put down a deposit at a LBS really soon (like two weeks ago). By now, it's likely that the B2s on the way have already been pre-sold. I could be wrong though, you'd just have to have your LBS check with Felt, but the B2 framesets are in extremely limited quantity....and are selling like MAD. That said, I'm glad I did finally get my hands on one--I love it.

Andy
Last edited by: Andrew_R: Mar 2, 04 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yaqui Mariola or Ocotillo (sp?), whichever fits your budget.

Horia

(Happy owner of 2 year old Yaqui Carbo)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a very objective or experienced reviewer, but I own a 57 Caliente and I am very pleased with it. My seat hieght is 80 and I can get very steep and comfy with my Arione saddle. Two selling points on the Caliente for me was the rear wheel cut outs and a 12cm head tube on my 57 frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Caliente. I was fortunate in that I found a new frameset for sale on Ebay last summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say to also reconsider the Cervelo. There isn't a huge difference between the 58cm P2K / P3 and the 59 cm tequilo / caliente. Nominally, the QR has a 1cm longer top tube, but once you normalise the seat angles they work out about the same.

I can't think of any others though. I've heard great things about Yaqui, so definitely consider them. Guru / Cannondale and others tend towards shorter / higher.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Julian I have just ordered a crash replacement and am getting a Cal from QR. I understand that Excel Sports in Boulder CO had Cal frame sets for sale. GGW

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Help with final decision [hneamtu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mariola is $300 over budget, but a great bike with a superior fork to both Felt and QR, and the scandium tubing is very nice... I have a DL, and my Carbo is coming in 10 days or so.

Ocotillo might be an option - I wonder if Ves is still selling Simon Lessing's old frames - might just fit a guy who rides a 58...
Quote Reply
Re: Help with final decision [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would say to also reconsider the Cervelo. There isn't a huge difference between the 58cm P2K / P3 and the 59 cm tequilo / caliente.

I re-checked the charts, and you are correct. I was looking at the wrong size. The Cervelo 58 has a front-center of 63.9, which is what I want.

Thanks for the reminder.

I went and looked at the 2004 Caliente at lunchtime today. Dang, that is a beautiful thing. Mighty tempting right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buddy of mine just picked up a Caliente - I really dig the flames... He got a 55, and would have fit a 55 Cervelo as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input my friends.

You know, in the end, all these bikes are great and would fit just fine. So, I went with the sheer beauty of the 2004 Caliente frame & fork. Bargained a great deal at $1,125 out-the-door through my trusty LBS.

I emphatically believe that carbon stays are just stupid, insofar as function goes. But they look so friggin cool on that bike! They're like tail fins on an old Caddy.

I won't be any faster, but maybe people will think I am...
Quote Reply