Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with bike fit
Quote | Reply
I came across a deal on a Tri bike (my first) that seemed to be my size so I picked it up. I went for my first ride last week and had some lower back pain. I didn't spend much time in the aero position as the bars were too narrow so most of the time I was holding on near the breaks, in case that makes a difference. I am saving up for a professional fit but that's going to take awhile (and cost as much as the bike, haha) so I thought I'd see if you guys could help me at least get to the point of being comfortable for an Olympic distance ride. I've seen other guys post pictures in the past but the app I have will export a video along with some of the various angles and I thought that might be more helpful. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Help with bike fit [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat height is fine. THat is the least of your worries. First thing you need to do is learn to rotate forward at the hips and sit on it like a tri bike. You may need a different seat to do that. You wont sit on your sit bones anymore, rather on the sides of your pubic bone. Once you do that you can maybe raise the seat a tad, widen the bars a bunch, lower the bars a bunch, bring the seat forward a touch and get yourself on the proper crank length.

But rotate at the hips first.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with bike fit [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave! I think I know what you mean. You're taking about getting in the Tri position that I see pros in, where they almost look like they are standing rather than sitting, correct?

It's a Cobb JOF saddle so i believe it's designed for Tri. I'm tapering for a 25k run this weekend and expect to be bored out of my mind this week. Hopefully playing with this fit will give me something to do!
Quote Reply