Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with a chronic blister!
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks,

Attached is a picture of my GF's right foot. She has been experiencing this chronic blister just aft of her 1st met. She has a mediocre bunion of the 1st met (left foot is normal). Also, you can note the callus build-up on the big toe. I have analyzed her gait a bit and find that she pronates more on her right foot than her left foot.

We have tried Hokas, blister resistant socks, tape, mole skin, and lubricates with no definitive positive results. Currently, she is running in a pair of Altras (women's version of the Torin I believe). In the past before this chronic blister thing; she would run about 15-20 miles a week. Can you guys help us come up with a strategy to nip this in the bud?

Thanks Much!
G

Last edited by: apache: Nov 6, 16 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a chronic blister! [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many years ago I used to have this kind of blister and got rid of it by doing this:
- better gait reducing / removing the point where she is slipping forward in the shoe every time she is landing
- less arch support where she probably rubs her foot

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use liquid bandage over any hotspots I get. Works great for me
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a chronic blister! [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fix wrote:
Many years ago I used to have this kind of blister and got rid of it by doing this:
- better gait reducing / removing the point where she is slipping forward in the shoe every time she is landing
- less arch support where she probably rubs her foot

Can you elaborate a bit?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a chronic blister! [Dillon152] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dillon152 wrote:
I use liquid bandage over any hotspots I get. Works great for me
Going to check this out. Thanks! G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she over stride it is likely that when she is landing her foot is sliding a little bit and/or applies a lot of pressure in the medial part of her foot. In addition, anti-pronation shoes usually have stiff large arch support, and that's where the pressure is applied. Check her old shoes and you may find that the edge of the arch support is worn out more than the rest. Adopting shorter strides with less heel strike should alleviate the problem.
I changed my gait for other reasons but the pleasant byproduct was to get rid of this type of blister. I now run marathons, trails etc sockless without blisters. I hope it helps

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You try duct tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a chronic blister! [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fix wrote:
If she over stride it is likely that when she is landing her foot is sliding a little bit and/or applies a lot of pressure in the medial part of her foot. In addition, anti-pronation shoes usually have stiff large arch support, and that's where the pressure is applied. Check her old shoes and you may find that the edge of the arch support is worn out more than the rest. Adopting shorter strides with less heel strike should alleviate the problem.
I changed my gait for other reasons but the pleasant byproduct was to get rid of this type of blister. I now run marathons, trails etc sockless without blisters. I hope it helps

Thanks. Makes sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a chronic blister! [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge no. I have read little bits and pieces about this. What is your technique for employing duct tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean dry foot. Put a big piece on...maybe small piece of gauze on area if tender.
I just use tape
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had exactly something like this.
Started to appear together with some brand new and expensive shoes....
Tried to mess with the insoles (switching them out, cutting them down) but nothing worked.
Would be fine for up to 2 miles and then I would start to get blisters.

Finally accepted that the last and cut of the shoe didn't get along with my forefoot.

I'd suggest to give up on the Altras and find a last/shoe that works better.

apache wrote:
Hi Folks,

Attached is a picture of my GF's right foot. She has been experiencing this chronic blister just aft of her 1st met. She has a mediocre bunion of the 1st met (left foot is normal). Also, you can note the callus build-up on the big toe. I have analyzed her gait a bit and find that she pronates more on her right foot than her left foot.

We have tried Hokas, blister resistant socks, tape, mole skin, and lubricates with no definitive positive results. Currently, she is running in a pair of Altras (women's version of the Torin I believe). In the past before this chronic blister thing; she would run about 15-20 miles a week. Can you guys help us come up with a strategy to nip this in the bud?

Thanks Much!
G
Last edited by: windschatten: Nov 6, 16 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are your shoes too big? Blisters are suualy caused by friction from your feet rubbing against the sides of your shoes. If you dont want to buy new shoes best thing you could do is to buy some heel grippers to stabilize your feet in your shoes like these ones

http://shoewawa.com/product/shoewawa-heel-grips/ lol I know the picture is a high heel but you can put them in running shoes
Last edited by: theJames93: Feb 20, 17 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apache wrote:
Fix wrote:

Thanks. Makes sense to me.

Fix is on the right track here. We see this problem also with people that have a higher degree of varus angled forefoot and/or people that run with this type of forefoot in combination on supportive shoes so where the heel is pressed out but due to the collapsing of the forefoot to the inside due to the varus angle of the forefoot.
So due to a pronation support, a soft outside heel or a softer sole in the forefoot like in the clifton or stinson the movement of the forefoot to the inside can either go to abrupt or fast. Let her sit on a table and see if, when the ankle is relaxed, if the big toe joint is a lot higher then the pinky to joint.
If this is the case and even more when combined with a step too large with an heel strike where you have a lot of time to rotate with the foot it looks like pronation but it is actually not that. It can be the forefoot just coming to a horizontal position. Another indicator for this can be if she runs with her feet or one of them, in this case the blistered foot, tend to point more to the outside or 'duck' feet. You can also see if she have a lot of 'play' between the big toe joint and the joint next to it.
So if the two joints can be very easily move up and down in opposites directions? This is somewhat hard to explain by just plain text. Do you have an option to try a pair of newton's? The lugs can have a function here when i think what causes the problem for her. If they still have the 30 day money back trial you can try that.
Due the 5 lugs that compress seperate from each other there is additional forefoot support that can help in this. I know its nasty but my girlfriends feet were once much, much worse. She was a client at that time in my shop and not my girl yet, but with some testing and trying we solved her issues. Shorten the stride, got rid of anti-pronation shoes back to just neutral and added a little support under the big tie joint. Her skin is baby soft now and no callus anymore

Good luck and succes,

Jeroen
Tri-Run.com

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply