Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with a building a 2016 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT
Quote | Reply
So kinda maybe had a dream come true but stuck. My dream bike was to own a Specialized Shiv. I love the way they look, ride, the technology and they are fast. I came across a deal where a guy buys storage units and he had some Specialized frames. They have all never been used. It is a 2016 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT which is sold from Specialized as a "module" I don't have $5000 to buy the module so though I would really never own this bike. But with the deal I found I was able to get this frame for under $1000 and to be honest I checked the numbers to make sure its legit and when I saw it was just bought it. The issue is this frame is just a frame with the fork and bearings and brakes no stem/handlebars and no crank. The crack is not a big issue as I can buy a adaptor and run some carbon cranks I have at the house. But the stem and handle bar setup fit into the frame making a standard stem unusable. My question is as I am reading a lot of people are unhappy with the factory setup as apparently it does not provide a lot of adjustability. I am not sure if instead of the factory setup is there a aero style aftermarket stem I can use maybe with a shim because as I read it is a 1" steerer and not a 1 1/8" to then be able to run whatever bars I want? I guess another small issue is that the cabling for like the front brakes also run through the factory stem as I am told by Specialized? Please if there are any bike mechanics or anyone that has tinkered with this bike and have ideas please let me know. Thank you and I really hope I can get this going and finally have my dream bike so any assistance would be amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a building a 2016 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT [Mvaughan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is that Specialized usually has parts for these bikes sitting around. See if you can at least order the stem. If you can get that, USE maybe still makes their adapter to run their bars on the Shiv. Also look at some old pictures of Tony Martin Shiv. That was a Pro bar bastardized onto the Shiv. Also search for the old thread where someone was making and adapter.

I am pretty sure the steer tube is 1 1/8", so technically any stem without protruding bolts on the back should work. The trick is the cable. Maybe the TriRig would work.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a building a 2016 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT [Mvaughan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My mechanic (who is a real good time trialist) rides a shiv tt. Runs a pro missile evo stem which also has the cables run through the stem, so pretty darn sure theres a way you can run a normal stem.
Tririg may be another option for a stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a building a 2016 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Maybe the TriRig would work.
I can confirm that Sigma X will work on the Specialized Shiv TT.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a building a 2016 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Maybe the TriRig would work.
I can confirm that Sigma X will work on the Specialized Shiv TT.

Good to know. Would also suggest pairing it with the TriRig brake. Soooo much better than the stock TRP and the ability to adjust pad width in 20 seconds is worth the price of the upgrade alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a building a 2016 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fork/headset is tapered 1 to 1 1/8 campy bearings lower

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply