Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with IT band
Quote | Reply
So I was having an incredible run block this fall/winter, then I got sick. Couldn't run for 7 days. Was an idiot an ran 48 miles in 5 days after that to hit 2000 miles for 2017. My quads were pretty beat up, which was surprising as I was running mostly easy miles (no track or tempo work) and this mileage was consistent with what I was doing before getting sick. But I didn't have any pain even during the 15 mile run Sunday to complete the 2000 miles.

I took Monday off to recover. Yesterday I did a recovery hour trainer ride in the AM (first time on the bike in 2.5 weeks due to illness, then prioritizing the 2k goal) then went for a 5 mile run at lunch.

No issues noticed during the ride. From almost the first step on the run I had discomfort on the outside of my knee. This was new and I stupidly assumed it would go away. Well it didn't and it got worse it seemed.

I stretched a bunch and foam rolled. Tried again this morning and pain right away worse than it was yesterday so I stopped immediately and went and swam instead.

Am I correct in assuming this is IT band? I also have a very tender spot on the outside of my hip on the bottom part of where the bone sticks out. Sore to the touch, but don't notice it otherwise. Just give it a few days? Should I go to a PT right away?

Just some background here was my weekly mileage leading into this (and didn't have a single niggle before getting sick):
30, 35, 36, 40, 45, 50, 50, 50, 38, 50, 55, 47, 40 (started doing track work here), 45, 65, 64, 44, 63, 14 (sick), 48

I'm not sure if the cycling contributed so I'm not even sure if I should be doing that while not running a few days? What should be my course of action here?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, probably just IT band. Give it a few days rest. Don't over do it with foam roller.

ADD: Warm baths and gentle ITB-specific stretches generally work for me.
Last edited by: Brushman: Jan 3, 18 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 45 to 64 mile weeks probably weren't a good idea

do glute strengthening exercises.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. i did an epsom salt bath last night, will do another tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it on both sides at different times. It sucks and sounds like what you have. My causes were weaker glutes, stabilizers and tight quads (not on the actual band so much). Roll the quads and flexors as they can cause your band to rub. My definitive fix was having someone dry needle and scrape the IT band...hurts like hell, but brakes down the scar tissue that has formed and realigns everything. My PT buddy did it. Most good massage phyios are capable as well. Ask around local to you. Where you doing any preventative measures? Regular massages, stretches etc? At the volume you were at that stuff becomes so important.

Good luck. Saw you’re chasing Kona at IMTX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had issues with my right knee this fall/winter.
Foam roller on quads and IT has been my savior.
But as others mentioned, you can overdo that too. You need to start lightly and ramp up over time. Took me about 2 weeks before I could really get in there.
You also need to do it every day- and even better twice a day. Follow up with some quad stretches afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I just set up an appt with an arriosti PT guy for this afternoon. I can't wait and see if rest fixes this.

I try and do a good stretching routine after most run sessions, this seems to keep the niggles away from me for the most part. I'm thinking the 7 sedentary days must have tightened me all up, then weak muscles from being sick couldn't handle the quick volume ramp either. We'll see what he says.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video to add strength to prevent the problem from re-occuring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcy3dPf__M

Foam roller to relax the tightness.

My IT band was insanely tight. No stretching fixed it, but the combination above cured years of IT issues in a couple weeks.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good info, thanks. i was afraid to overdo it with the foam roller yesterday as it hurt pretty bad in few spots!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

do glute strengthening exercises.

^This. And ditto whoever said go easy on the foam rolling so you don't do more damage. At the first hint of anything these days, I go see my massage therapist. That has worked for me to keep injuries at bay (I also see a chiro every 3 weeks for maintenance).
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great video, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roll your glute med on that side. The sore spot in your hip indicates that your glute is tight which pulls on the IT band. I went through this stuff three times already. Stretching the glute will give you instant temporary relief but unfortunately it will take a few weeks until the muscle completely heals and won't go into spasm again. Right now take a couple of days off until it stops hurting and then start rolling and stretching several times a day. Combine this with a glue specific strength routine to prevent this further.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, just and update. Still not back running yet but am hopeful it will happen soon.

First appt with Airrosti guy in the afternoon the day I made this post. He worked on releasing tension in my glute, specifically the top, and also hip flexor. I didn't feel all that tight in those regions though.

Also gave me a routine to do with lacrosse ball on my glutes, foam roller on hammies, IT band and adductors. As well as some stretches/activation/strengthening exercises for my hip flexors, and glutes. Supposed to do all of this twice a day plus ice.

I took a couple days off running then have tried to run everyday since. I make it about 1/3 of a mile before discomfort sets in.

Good news is the pain on the outside of my hip is completely gone, Dr said this was just bursitis.

Went back yesterday for 2nd appointment and this time he focused on my quads, specifically the vastus lateralis and vastus medialis. Holy shit I had some serious dysfunction in my vastus lateralis. That was probably the worse pain I have ever experienced. It makes sense that this is probably my issue since this flared up after me destroying my quads in those 5 days after illness.

I'm going to give it until Thursday before trying to run again and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure it could be relevant for you, but I found dialing in my cycling cleat position helped with running-IT band pain.

IT really flared when I started putting in more significant miles in Aero. Cutting mileage down on running didn't help, but going back to a road biking position did. Not sure I got a lot out of glute strengthening but that still seems like a good idea. Ultimately, I found that changing my tri bike cleat to apply a bit more heel-in/toe out and also pulling the cleat back towards the heel, helped a bunch for the IT band and lower kneecap pain when running. I had speedplays on my road bike which I tolerate there, but when forward on the tri bike, despite my efforts at hip rotation, bike fit etc my heel would sometimes get all squrrily, and would flare the IT on speedplays on the tri bike. I have done much better since switching to a 6-deg float pedal and locking in a bit of "heel-in."

Obviously, this sort of adjustment is very personal and could have dramatic effects, YMMV, potentially could be very negative for you etc etc, but I mention it because I found this tip in search here and in the cycling literature- its seems to be a relatively common thing, and some people have cycling-induced pain only when running.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [rdubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info that I will definitely consider. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got over this started running again 15 weeks ago now. I had to end up taking basically 8 weeks off completely took me about 15 weeks total. the first 7 or so I was doing what you are and trying every day or every other and getting about a quarter mile when I stopped this it helped a lot and the BIG thing that ended up fixing mine I think was the Kneeling lunge stretch and the pigeon stretch. I cant say for sure but I was doing all of the exact same stuff that was given to you from the PT and did it for a long time with no positive results started these two stretches and in a week started to get better. Could be that my issue was in the hips and yours is not though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an IT band issue over the summer that still occasionally flares up. Similar to you - had a great long run with no pain, quads pretty sore despite lack of track work, then on a short easy run shit hit the fan and the outside of my knee was sharp/shooting pain.

What didn't work for me: foam rolling the ITB itself (people actually advise against this now), rest, anti-inflammatories, stretching.

What did work: foam rolling the glute and the meaty part of the quads, digging into the soft area just above the knee and massaging that, avoiding cambered roads when possible, being super vigilant about keeping my cadence at 88-90/foot/minute, single leg strengthening exercises.

The biggest one was increasing my cadence. Doing that gave me the ability to run through it almost overnight with relatively little pain.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
This video to add strength to prevent the problem from re-occuring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydcy3dPf__M

Foam roller to relax the tightness.

My IT band was insanely tight. No stretching fixed it, but the combination above cured years of IT issues in a couple weeks.

This! That video is golden.

I had IT band issues a few years ago. Was really bad and I tried all kinds of things. Ultimately it was only through stopping all running and doing the exercises in the video above that I fixed it.

Used the foam roller too.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have me doing a version of the kneeling stretch but I will definitely be adding the pigeon stretch, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with IT band [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, like you I am avoiding the IT band itself and focusing on the meaty areas. I will try upping my cadence next time I give it a go. Thanks!
Quote Reply