Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Di2, please
Quote | Reply
Trisports is having a 20% off memorial day sale and I'm thinking of upgrading to Di2. Their di2 'packages' aren't getting marked down, but the individual components are, so if I stitch everything together I can get a nice discount. Problem is that I don't know exactly which things I need for a full setup. Can anyone help?

I know I need:
FD
RD
Bar end shifters
Brake lever/shifters (optional depending on final price)
Front junction box (5 port)
Rear junction box
Wires (one for each TT shifter to front box, one to connect front box to rear box, two for rear box to FD/RD,, one for rear box to battery, so six total?)
Battery pack (internal or external)
Some sort of charger (internal vs external depending on the battery I get)
Battery harness? What the hell is that?

Is this it? Am I missing something?

Thank you

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the flux capacitor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Trisports is having a 20% off memorial day sale and I'm thinking of upgrading to Di2. Their di2 'packages' aren't getting marked down, but the individual components are, so if I stitch everything together I can get a nice discount. Problem is that I don't know exactly which things I need for a full setup. Can anyone help?

I know I need:
FD
RD
Bar end shifters
Brake lever/shifters (optional depending on final price)
Front junction box (5 port)
Rear junction box
Wires (one for each TT shifter to front box, one to connect front box to rear box, two for rear box to FD/RD,, one for rear box to battery, so six total?)
Battery pack (internal or external)
Some sort of charger (internal vs external depending on the battery I get)
Battery harness? What the hell is that?

Is this it? Am I missing something?

Thank you

7 wires. Aero shifters don't have wires (the latest aero shifters...the older button ones do I believe. The bullhorn brake shifters come with wires. That is 2. One long wire from 5 junction to the 4 junction box at BB. 1 wire from FD, 1 wire RD, 1 shorter Wire connecting battery and inline BT/ Ant dongle 1 more wire to 4 port box at BB. Get the internal BT/ Ant dongle and the correct internal battery (latest One) so you can run di2 diagnostics on computer or phone without plugging the bike in.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All 4 shifters have wires... (at least in Ultegra Di2 although OP does not clarify what groupset he/she wants)

http://www.trisports.com/shimano-r671-di2-aero-shifter.html
http://www.trisports.com/shimano-ultegra-di2-6871-11sp-tt-lever.html

FD
RD (short cage is fine unless you want to run an 11-32 cassette)
Junction A (5 port)
Junction B (/rear as OP calls it)
4 x e-tubes (Junction A -> Junction B - depends on size of bike, Junction B -> RD depends on size of bike, Junction B to battery - depends on whether internal/external and where you put it, Junction B to FD - pretty short on all bikes, usually)
Battery (internal is best bet these days)
Battery charger

Battery "harness" is only needed it you buy the "external" battery, which also requires a different charger.
Last edited by: jkhayc: May 26, 17 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
All 4 shifters have wires... (at least in Ultegra Di2 although OP does not clarify what groupset he/she wants)

http://www.trisports.com/shimano-r671-di2-aero-shifter.html
http://www.trisports.com/shimano-ultegra-di2-6871-11sp-tt-lever.html

FD
RD (short cage is fine unless you want to run an 11-32 cassette)
Junction A (5 port)
Junction B (/rear as OP calls it)
4 x e-tubes (Junction A -> Junction B - depends on size of bike, Junction B -> RD depends on size of bike, Junction B to battery - depends on whether internal/external and where you put it, Junction B to FD - pretty short on all bikes, usually)
Battery (internal is best bet these days)
Battery charger

Battery "harness" is only needed it you buy the "external" battery, which also requires a different charger.

Thank you very much.

In the trisports link above (for the TT shifters), it says this
"
  • Plugs into the second port of the Ultegra Di2 levers"

Shouldn't that be 'plugs into the junction box'? Or does it do both?

Last edited by: CCF: May 26, 17 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My links got messed up somehow, but they are correct now.

The "Ultegra Di2" bar end shifters' description is a bit odd, what it is referencing when it says ""Plugs into the second port of the Ultegra Di2 levers" is that you can plug it into the Shift Lever/Brake Lever road Di2 component. I dunno why the description would mention that specifically but yes, it does both as you say.
Last edited by: jkhayc: May 26, 17 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to get everything for less from Merlin or one of the other European online bike shops.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm mainly just trying to figure out what 'everything' is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other bits:
unplug/replug tool - not essential, but is very handy if trying to unplug from the middle wire in the 5 port box - about $5. They wires pop in with a satisfying snap, so even without the tool, there's no issue telling if its in or not.
wire grommets - Di2 wires are thinner than cables, so whatever holes you jump into will have lots of room around them. There are two kinds, flat mount and angled - $5 a pack, I think? They are split, so you can add them later if you feel like it. In other words, you don't have to string the Di2 wire through them on install.

Can your bike handle everything internal? If so, awesome...otherwise, you may need the 4 wire organizer under the BB.

You'll probably want new bar tape and may as well do brake cables and housings while you're in there as well.

...and definitely check out merlin. Even though they are in the UK, they ship groups fast with free shipping. From order online to arrive on my door in 5 days (Portland, OR). I bought my road Di2 and MTB M8000 from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Other bits:
unplug/replug tool - not essential, but is very handy if trying to unplug from the middle wire in the 5 port box - about $5. They wires pop in with a satisfying snap, so even without the tool, there's no issue telling if its in or not.

That usually comes with the brake lever/shifter, as do brake cables/housing.

Quote:
wire grommets - Di2 wires are thinner than cables, so whatever holes you jump into will have lots of room around them. There are two kinds, flat mount and angled - $5 a pack, I think? They are split, so you can add them later if you feel like it. In other words, you don't have to string the Di2 wire through them on install.

usually comes with your bike if it's "future proofed" (i.e. it can handle mech/elec/hydro and has the stoppers that are frame specific to each group type)

Quote:
Can your bike handle everything internal? If so, awesome...otherwise, you may need the 4 wire organizer under the BB.

You'll probably want new bar tape

Most likely, if you run bar tape.
Last edited by: jkhayc: May 26, 17 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get the newer battery as it's more future proof and not that much more expensive. The battery is where the brains are contained and some newer Di2 components won't work with the older battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
I would get the newer battery as it's more future proof and not that much more expensive. The battery is where the brains are contained and some newer Di2 components won't work with the older battery.

How do you tell 'newer' vs 'older'?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I missed it, but what frameset are you using? That makes a difference in terms of your battery choices. Internal battery is a must IMHO if your frame can handle it!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's my Andean. I have to admit I made a mistake ordering the 1x build. Now I'm trying to figure out how much I have to speanf to upgrade (more than directly ordering di2, for sure). I know the frame is 'easy to wire' but I don't have any actual instructions (I have an email into the DB folks, I assume they will get back to me). I'm working under the assumption that it will be all internal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if the Andean seat post can handle the size of the internal DI2 cylinder style battery? If yes, I'd go with that. Then a wire drops down from that through the seat tube to the junction box you'll have around/inside the BB area.

Why is 1X a mistake? Just make sure you have enough gearing. If you think you'll need a cassette bigger than a 32, then maybe consider using an XTR Di2 rear derailleur instead? I believe one of the forum members uses one on his Dimond in a 1X config (and put in a 4:30 or so bike split at IMTX I think...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
It's my Andean. I have to admit I made a mistake ordering the 1x build. Now I'm trying to figure out how much I have to speanf to upgrade (more than directly ordering di2, for sure). I know the frame is 'easy to wire' but I don't have any actual instructions (I have an email into the DB folks, I assume they will get back to me). I'm working under the assumption that it will be all internal.

I'd use that 20% off on Etap, in that case...
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
CCF wrote:

I'd use that 20% off on Etap, in that case...

That was my original plan, but the 20% off coupon doesn't cover etap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You should be able to get everything for less from Merlin or one of the other European online bike shops.

Why cheaper at Euro shops than US-based?

I ordered etap a couple weeks ago. I'm in the US but the best prices were in Europe. But why?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Di2, please [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different distribution system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Different distribution system.
Different how? Mfr sells to middleman which sells to retailer. How different can it be?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply