Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help pick my TT gear for the weekend
Quote | Reply
So this weekend is the Record Challenge TT at Moriarty in New Mexico. The last time I used my TT bike was at the Gila back in May, so I'll be dusting that down soon. The question is, how do I set it up?

I'm not changing my position, but I have gear options.

Some kind folks lent me some wheels, so I'm spoiled for choice.
Front:
Zipp 404 (alloy rim, clincher, pre-FC, GP4000S 23mm)
Corima Aero+ MCC (Veloflex Carbon tub.)
Hed H3 (clincher, Maxxis Columbiere 23mm)
Rear:
Zipp 404 (same as front)
Hed Stinger Disc (Zipp Tangente tub.)

Available tyres:
I'm not interested in changing out tubular tyres, those wheels have what they have. For the clinchers I also have a set of Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 320tpi in 23mm.

Of the gear available to me, what's likely to be the fastest combo?
My gut says H3 and Stinger, but put a GP4000S on the H3. Other opinions?

Second question:
Water bottle?
It's a 40km TT, so I'll want a bottle. I have ski-bend extensions, and they're pretty close together, so between the arms is out. I don't own an aero bottle (I know, I'm failing at aero).
My TT bike is a 2006 S-Works Transition: where is a round bottle going to be fastest? Down tube or seat tube?

Third question:
Flat kit? Probably no, but under the seat can't be a huge aero penalty, right?

Last question:
What the hell is up with crack pipes? I tried to use one for the first time this evening. I am clearly not skilled with the crack pipe.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: Help pick my TT gear for the weekend [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H3/disc w/ gp4000. Latex tube.

As clean as you can get behind the seat.

If you can fit it under the seat, do it, but only if it's invisible.

Yes, you fail at the crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hed H3 (clincher, GP4000S 23mm)
Hed Stinger Disc (Zipp Tangente tub.)

Seattube.

No.

Have a second person hold the pipe or pump. Don't try to do both at once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H3/Stinger

Tires are not worth overthinking, just don't flat and you won't need the flat kit.

Man up and dehydrate.

My insomnia destroying blog can be found here http://tfalin.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the hell would you need a flat kit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need a bottle for a TT of less than an hour. Taking a drink will just slow you down. The only reason to bring bottle is if it makes your bike more aero.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the gear available to me, what's likely to be the fastest combo?

Get a 20mm Supersonic for your front tire on the Hed 3. Use the disc on the rear.

It's a 40km TT, so I'll want a bottle.
I have ski-bend extensions, and they're pretty close together, so between the arms is out.

Unless your forearms are literally touching, there is probably room. Rest your forearms on the top-sides of the bottle. On the other hand you don't really need a bottle, but it is probably more aero if you position it properly. A round bottle on the frame is bad.

Flat kit? Probably no

Can't think of a reason for it.

Good luck, I'll be there too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whats the expected wind conditions? The h3 is the most versatile and very fast at low yaw. 404 may be faster at some yaw angles. I'd go h3 with a 20mm tyre and latex tube front, stinger disc rear. Bring the 404 front as a backup if wind conditions dont favour the h3.

Forget the flat kit. You're running a clincher front and a tub rear, so the only real flat kit that can serve for both is a pit stop or sealant of some kind. Theres not much chance you can fit that behind the seat without some aero penalty. Plus, pitstop is rarely that great and tricky to use anyway. If you flat its game over anyway.

You dont need a bottle in a 40k tt. Start h ydrated and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
around how fast are you planning to be going?

The H3 is going to be worse than the 404 if you're going to run a 23mm on it. It may be worse if you're not going pretty fast anyways.

Disc on the rear

Bottle under the saddle if you can't get it between the arms

Wait for the SAG wagon if you flat

You have to be inhaling when you light the crack pipe.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H3 w/Conti GP TT + Disc.

No bottle. You'll be on the bike for less than an hour so you'll be fine as long as you hydrate beforehand. I'd also suggest popping a gel a few minutes before you start.

No flat kit, if you flat you're out so who cares. If you must have a bottle, then bta is best with second choice being seat tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Help pick my TT gear for the weekend [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck out there. Hopefully conditions this weekend will be as good as they were on Sunday - it was just about ideal for the Mountainair race.

I'll try the bottle between the arms again, but I couldn't make it work before. Thing is, I know I'll want a bottle - I won't need much, just a couple of mouthfuls, but my mouth tends to get really dry when I'm working hard in dry air and I suspect that that will be a detriment to my performance. Even if it's only because I get distracted and don't feel comfortable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the consensus seems to be:
1. H3 and Stinger, change tyres if possible.
2. Man up and dehydrate. If you really want to be soft and take a bottle BTA is best, followed by seat tube (which is where my cage is currently).
3. If you flat, hit the "fuck it" button and wait for SAG.
4. You suck at crack pipes, try getting a friend to help.

For those folks asking how fast I expect to be and what the wind conditions will be:
Hopefully winds will be light. Current forecast says a few mph, picking up by afternoon to about 9mph.
I'm expecting to do about 230-240W (5'10", 132lbs) and I'm hoping that'll get me under the hour, but really I have no idea. I've never done a flat 40km (or even a flat TT - they're all hilly round here, except Moriarty), and this year has been all bike racing so I'm faster than I was. Last year I did 2:27 at Boulder 70.3, if that helps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm too focused on going fast and loud complaints from other body parts to worry about niggling discomforts like a dry mouth ;) I did have the bottle last year though and it was nice to take a swig after the turnaround. I'm such a spaz though... it feels like a major ordeal to get the bottle out and drink and put it back.

I bet you can make it work. My pads are 2cm apart (and just above the basebar) and the extensions are 10cm ctc. They're S bends that are angled in so they come closer together at the ends. A cage and small bottle fits in there perfectly with my forearms, with no gaps. It looks and feels just about perfect. The lower edge of the bottle is even with the bottom of the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had pretty good results mounting a gel flask between the bars and filling it with liquid (flat Coke for me). It's just a nice insurance policy against cottonmouth.

GU made a mount/flask combo with velcro and a collar that secured the neck of the flask. I've been able to find replacement flasks and just stick velcro on them, but I haven't seen that mount for sale anymore. Guess I better not lose it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, from your thread title I assumed you were racing fixed single speed and wanted advice on what gear to for a specific course. David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> Hed H3 (clincher, Maxxis Columbiere 23mm)

Aren't we meant to be running thinner tires on H3s? (I'm running 19mm or 20mm GP4000s)
Quote Reply
Re: Help pick my TT gear for the weekend [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTA success!
It just needed the right combo of short bottle and a cage that would allow the bottle to come out without sliding up too far. I only have one bottle that it'll work with though.

GaryV: I'd thought about taking a gel flask with water, but I don't have a mount of any sort so it'd have to go in the skinsuit pocket. Now I know they (used to) exist I'll keep my eyes open.

Also, success on inflating the #@$%$*!! disc and H3. Two pairs of hands makes it pretty easy.

Quote Reply
Re: Help pick my TT gear for the weekend [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lamby wrote:
> Hed H3 (clincher, Maxxis Columbiere 23mm)

Aren't we meant to be running thinner tires on H3s? (I'm running 19mm or 20mm GP4000s)

Probably, but as I said in the OP, some of this is borrowed. The H3 is borrowed, the Stinger Disc is borrowed. They came with whatever tyres the owners had on them. A former US national TT champion lent me the H3 and that's the tyre he had on it (but he is sponsored by Maxxis and I don't think they have a more suitable tyre). I don't own any thinner tyres, though I do own better rolling tyres (and maybe more aero 23mm tyres too).

In an ideal world I'd have good TT equipment, but I rarely TT and I spend my money on toys I can use more often. Hence my question was: given the equipment choices I have, what should I use?

Anyway, thanks all. I have managed a BTA setup and I'm going to roll with the H3 (tyre TBD) and the Stinger. No flat kit, but I'm not riding a hard hour in New Mexico without water. Hopefully it's a fast ride - I should at least be faster than if I used my "standard" seat tube bottle and old 404s with GP4000S and butyl tubes.

Quote Reply