Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed
Quote | Reply
I am trying to chose between the below three wheelsets. What do you guys recommend.

Reynolds Assault with G3 PowerTap, price around $1400, weight 1590 g
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1156014_-1___000000

Hed Jet 6 Plus, price around $1500, total weight 1734 g
https://shop.sunrisetri.com/item/173901/

Flo 60's, price around $900, weight 1936g
http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_front_flo_60.php
Last edited by: avikoren1: Jul 6, 15 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My flo sucks. i would do the Reynolds with the powertap for sure and a disc cover in the back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If power is that important to you, the choice is clear: the Assault. Get a disc cover and go from there.

The HEDs and the Flo's are going to be more aero "out of the box," so to speak, but for a combo of aero and getting the power numbers, that's a really well rounded set-up from Reynolds.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do you dislike about your flo wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive a set of power tap wheels - which I think are Reynolds wheels (don't know what type) with a G3 - they're excellent and seemed to present good value for money
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with whatever will leave you with power, so either the powertaps or the Flo60s plus some other powermeter. You'll end up posting faster times than if you went with actually faster wheels due to better training and pacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Flo's and I have been very pleased with them. I've never rode on Reynolds or a Hed Jet so I can't comment on how they ride, etc..

If you don't have power already it would definitely be worth to spend the extra $$$ to get. If you didn't want a powertap, you could always go with FLO wheels and get a power2max classic for 600.
Last edited by: marzrya: Jul 7, 15 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
My flo sucks

Can you elaborate on that? Why do they suck? What issues have you had?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go Reynolds with Powertap all the way if you don't have power currently or just no rear hub power. I ride Reynold Strike 66 from 2013 and they are not holding me back in anyway from what I can tell other than they work optimally with 23c tires while 25c is the new trending standard. I'm sure these wheels you're looking at will be in line with the 25c tire trend if they are new models.

Nothing wrong with FLO or HED but I prefer the all carbon models over the aluminum braking tracks due to the topography of where I race being mostly flat or saw toothed without any major descents.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
My flo sucks. i would do the Reynolds with the powertap for sure and a disc cover in the back

Your FLO sucks? We've spoken quite a few times. I've offered to help on numerous occasions but you don't seem to either follow up with the information I need, or want to take my advice. There are likely hundreds of people with your set up that are not having the same problem that you are having. Again, if you are willing to work with me, I will help you solve the issue. I'm 702-529-4744. Please call anytime.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great example of excellent customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you already have a PM, then Jet 6+. The tour WT testing suggests that is it the fastest wheel currently available. It also has the greatest internal width and volume, which should make it the most comfortable and possibly improve Crr. aluminum brake track is hassle free and better in wet conditions. And it is about 200 g lighter than the Flo 60s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, i couldnt be happier with my flo wheels.

I went crank based power meter (quarq) also very happy there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:

This is a pretty irresponsible comment without providing any other information don't you think?

vancity wrote:
For what it's worth, i couldnt be happier with my flo wheels.

I went crank based power meter (quarq) also very happy there.

X1000

I have the 60/90 combo, and couldn't be more satisfied with my Flo experience. In fact, I go out of my way to recommend the company to everyone/anyone when I get the chance. I spent the dollars saved on a Quarq Elsa. Why doesn't the Flo hater elaborate? My guess is that their complaints are unsubstantiated.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

This is a pretty irresponsible comment without providing any other information don't you think?

Maybe he was referencing urinary track issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Great example of excellent customer service.

I agree. Top notch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will take your Flo Wheels off you if you do not like them. I will then deal with Chris direct and I am sure I will be very happy.
Last edited by: BMANX: Jul 13, 15 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

I'd still want info about his slow leak.

I have the G3 Assaults from performance. My front wheel had some issues which lead to me breaking a few spokes in short order. Performance just swapped it out and the new one has been solid so far. Overall I like them and was very happy to get an aero set of carbon wheels with a power meter for the price of a rear Zip. Just make sure you wait for the sale + 20% discount type thing. This weekend they had $25 off any purchase of $99 or more. You can get that set down in into the $1200's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding on Flo wheels for the past two seasons (60, 90, disc, 30s), and they are very nice (and durable) wheels. Their customer service is also great, if ever needed. I'll echo what others are saying about the value of power. However, if you want wheel versatility, power2max is also a nice option. That's the route I went, and have no regrets.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

Your FLO sucks? We've spoken quite a few times. I've offered to help on numerous occasions but you don't seem to either follow up with the information I need, or want to take my advice. There are likely hundreds of people with your set up that are not having the same problem that you are having. Again, if you are willing to work with me, I will help you solve the issue. I'm 702-529-4744. Please call anytime.

Kudos to Flo on trying to work out whatever issue may be troubling the poster...
Last edited by: cricket1116: Jul 13, 15 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [phenious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phenious wrote:
I have the G3 Assaults from performance. My front wheel had some issues which lead to me breaking a few spokes in short order. Performance just swapped it out and the new one has been solid so far. Overall I like them and was very happy to get an aero set of carbon wheels with a power meter for the price of a rear Zip. Just make sure you wait for the sale + 20% discount type thing. This weekend they had $25 off any purchase of $99 or more. You can get that set down in into the $1200's.

Funny you say that but my front Reynolds assault broke a spoke. I will be returning the wheels but now between you and I and another post on the performance website with spokes breaking is leaving me concerned. At any rate, Performance said that the that flavor of Reynolds assaults is discontinued and they will be getting another flavor in, no details on price etc but the front will be 35mm and the rear 50mm. At any event I now added Zipp 404 front and 808 rear to my decision criteria. It has significant weight improvement compared to Flo and I believe is the gold standard so what the heck, fork another grand and get the best??? Still thinking about it but need to decide soon. Flo next sales batch is this Thur and my first Ironman is next month and no wheels yet. For whatever its worth I get get the 404/808 firecrest at a LBS for about 2200 plus tax which should be about 25% less the retail. What to do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Zipps. That is a great price for them.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Help my choose my wheelset, Reynolds, Flo, Hed [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
waupaca11 wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

I'd still want info about his slow leak.

They sold me a noodle with 7mm of clearance between the break pad and drive side which leaves my rear break almost unusable then didn't fix it when i called them i paid $600 for a wheel and they're trying to tell me some bs that my cervelo p2 is a noodle.... IDGAF MY OTHER WHEELS WORK this wheel should work too just fix it. They did not make it easy wouldn't write home about the customer service i'd just get jets if i knew i'd have to deal with a million phone calls and someone that is not trying to stand behind their product
Quote Reply

Prev Next