Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me prevent jetlag from screwing up my race
Quote | Reply
Coming from Germany on the Friday before the NYC marathon (Sunday, not made easier by daylight savings time the morning of the race). Assuming I am otherwise in good shape, any suggestions on preventing jetlag from destroying my ambitions before I even hit the starting line?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me prevent jetlag from screwing up my race [mgodu02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Studies on sleep deprivation have shown that lack of sleep ruins your mood but not your performance.

So just nap when you can and don't stress about it!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends when you land - late at night - tricky, during the day just simply switch your watch and spend your day as if it is just normal time, so if you normally go to bed at 10pm, try to stay up till then, then sleep and the next day you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me prevent jetlag from screwing up my race [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fly out early, I believe 1 day/hour time shift is the rule of thumb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done that trip MANY times and always followed this rule of thumb: When flying out (usually depart from Atlanta or Baltimore in the evening local time) take one Tylenol PM with a Jack and Coke during the first drink service and see you when we land. At which time you are waking up from an 8.5 hour flight/sleep to a local time of roughly 7:30am. Crap thing is, on the return trip, plan to drink a LOT of coffee and watch your fair share of movies/TV because you need to stay awake. You'll land around 8/9pm Eastern and if you've been awake for the whole flight you'll be dog tired. Get home or to your hotel and sleep, just make sure you wake up by 8am the following morning and BAM, back on local time.
Doing this has led to me NEVER experiencing jet lag, have a safe trip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never have a problem travelling west. Get in, stay up until your normal bedtime. You might wake up early the next day but you shoud be fine. Going east, it kills me. Returning from Hawaii to NY takes me a week to get back on schedule.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are you most active in your day? Flying west means you'll wake up earlier, so if you 'peak' midday, then you'll hit that right around start time.
I went to a conference in Japan and the jetlag was super helpful. I naturally woke around 4. So I would do a little walking around between sunrise and start time. It seems (for me at least) you'd be in a perfect situation for a good race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going west is pretty easy. You'll be able to go to bed early and get up early on Saturday and Sunday, no problem.

Quote | Reply
As others have said, flying west is easy. Just get as much sleep as you can Friday night (pref 8 hours but this may be tough as you will tend to wake early). Sat night get to sleep early, which will be easy as you will still be on Germany time. You will actually have an advantage as local runners will be dog tired at 4am Sunday. You'll be full of beans and ready to go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same here, experience on the world cup circut traveling the world, racing at different times, short trips.... jet lag dosnt have a big effect on race performance. A more important aspect is to insure that you start your travel journey well rested, moving a lot during travel...hydratation and quality food will play a bigger role into your performance on race day.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going West and racing right away should not be a problem. Going east I like that 1 hr per day thing for recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me prevent jetlag from screwing up my race [GWcanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people go east better than west so rely on what your body tells you; sleep when you're tired, eat when you're hungry (sounds simple, but often ignored). You'll be waking up on German time so the race will seem to your body like it's the afternoon when everyone else is at 8:30 am, which may be an advantage. I actually prefer racing having gone west, as I'm awake early and can have a big breakfast then a nap and I'm good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any way you can start changing the time around before departure? Maybe go to bed later and get up later?

Going to for short easy run when you land tend to help me overcome jet lag quicker, so that may be an option. The last thing you want to do is to get to the hotel and crash right away… then you're pretty much doomed.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply