Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me pick my new bike!
Quote | Reply
Here's the story: I was hit by a car (I'm fine), basically totalling my Ti Seven Axiom. The insurance settlement should leave me with around CAD$6000 to play with. I'm getting into duathlons and want something that is very fast, but I also want something that I can train lots of miles on. It will be my only bike.

I think it would be best to go with road geometry. I thought a Soloist Carbon would be perfect, but they're not available until April and I'll explode if I can't ride until then. Something that, like the Soloist, has convertable geometry, would be ideal.

I'm willing to consider anything, so bring your personal tastes and prejudices along and post them up here!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new bike! [donm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending on your size Don...you could order the soloist and borrow one of my bikes until it arrives...I live in Hamilton...likely be a 54cm Kestrel 200 I'd be loaning youo if it fit (no commuting with it though)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.elitebicycles.com check em out. custom geometry and colors of whatever you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new bike! [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks for the generous offer. I'm actually living in the UK at the moment, so not sure the loan would work! I'm going to be in Vancouver visiting family over Christmas and would ideally like to buy the bike then, hence the money listed in CAD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A ha! A loaner would be a bit difficult now wouldn't it. Oh well. Enjoy your pick...remember to account for the cost of shipping it back (and perhaps VAT and such)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the Kestrel Talon SL fast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on who's riding it.

---------------------------------------------------------
"When you like suffering, when you like the pain in your legs and all your body; it means you are good."
-Ignatus Konovalovas
winner stage 21 TT 2009 Giro D'Italia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Elite -- great bikes, great service.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new bike! [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the poster is looking for something a bit morer 'off the shelf' rather than trying to order something a bit custom and have it shipped But then I could just be farting in the wind too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bingo! Off the shelf would be good, as I'm not looking to be off the bike for months.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new bike! [Endurancegeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you telling me I still have to train to go fast, even if I drop $6k? What is this world coming to?

I just want to know if the bike is efficient and aero, relative to other bikes in the price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waterford.

Titanflex--yeah--titanflex.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"Is the Kestrel Talon SL fast?"

It can be, just ask Macca. I have a Talon (no SL) with a Reynolds Uozo Aero fork. It gives me a great position, climbs well and has a great ride. And, you can get really good deals on them. PM me if you'd like to know where I got mine.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to spend that kind of Money you should make sure you are fit and serviced by the best. One of the worlds leading Fit centers is in London http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/ I suggest you stop mucking about and go there instead of wasting your time and money on a bike that may or may not fit you properly. Cyclefit has stock and custom frames available. If you buy in Canada you loose all of the after sale service and care you should receive when spending 6K. Your plain will cheat yourself out of potential gains on all levels.

Trust
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, Elite does have off the shelf models

Trust
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new bike! [Trust] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not know that...in BC where the original poster will be visiting?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you got me, I do not see a Elite dealer listed in BC, my apologies, however I do stand by my statement that cyclefit is in London were he lives and is one of the best places to go to purchase a new ride. Ironically I was just on there site and they in fact do sell my favorite brand Elite. What a pleasant co-winky-dink that is.

Trust
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new bike! [Trust] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Touche my friend...I actually wasn't calling you on the Elite dealer in BC thing. He's going to BC..perhaps to buy a bike. Armed with this info though I must say..you have the arguement won. Great bikes..in your neck of the woods...with LBS post sale backup even. Be interesting to see what he does from here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I would order a soloist.($5k) Buy a $1000 bike on ebay to ride for the next 5months. (Its cold and rainy in UK anyway.) Sell the eBay bike when your soloist arrives. Use the money recovered from the ebay sale to buy matching Oval A900 aerobars, and maybe new pedals.
Last edited by: ezrahallam: Dec 5, 05 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun, lets keep tabs on him, you watch him doing the day and I will follow him at night.....

Thanks for the banter my friend, no Ill will meant, I know we are all trying to help each other do what is right for ourselves, each other, and the sport. Thanks for playing.

Trust
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could buy this one in the mean time
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kestrel-500-SCI-Triathlon-Road-Bike-Bicycle-54-56-FSA_W0QQitemZ7201062285QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Felt-F80-Road-Bike-Cycling-Racing-Triathlon-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ7201065886QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Litespeed-Tachyon-Titanium-Time-Trial-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ7200948440QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or even another Seven bike
http://cgi.ebay.com/Seven-Axiom-Titanium-Dura-Ace-Ksyrium-Wheels-56-cm_W0QQitemZ7201956095QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new bike! [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
"Is the Kestrel Talon SL fast?"

It can be, just ask Macca. I have a Talon (no SL) with a Reynolds Uozo Aero fork. It gives me a great position, climbs well and has a great ride. And, you can get really good deals on them. PM me if you'd like to know where I got mine.[/reply]

Yarrrh! I got a Kestrel Talon too, carbon aero post and all. It rocks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get a p3sl for $2800 of triall3.com and a road bike to train on. It wont be as sweet at the seven but itll be a solid training rig and youll have a good bike for all situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow, thanks for the generous offer. I'm actually living in the UK at the moment, so not sure the loan would work! I'm going to be in Vancouver visiting family over Christmas and would ideally like to buy the bike then, hence the money listed in CAD.

How odd. Twitcher Julianinengland is doing exactly the same thing.

I'd push for the soloist if it fits (emphasis on 'if' here). It seems to be a good combination of geomtery, function, and adaptability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were happy with your first Seven, why not get another? They do tri bikes. If you want something "convertable" i.e. Soloist, you could have them put the seat tube angle around 75 degrees and just use a Thomson set-back post. Flip it forward or backward and it'll give you a couple more degrees of seat tube angle and the corresponding change in effective top tube length. They can build the bottom bracket as stiff as you want and even do an aero down tube. Put on whatever parts/fork you want. No compromises on geometry either.
Quote Reply

Prev Next