Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me identify what I broke
Quote | Reply
I was riding my BMC RM01 around on Sunday and had a bit of an issue just before I got home. The bike has UI2 and I was stopped at a red light and didn't shift before stopping. When the light changed I started up again pushing down real hard on the pedals. Since this bike is relatively new to me I decided it would be a good idea to push just about as hard as I could on the pedal to see how much the frame flexes (keep in mind I'm 190lbs). Long story short the frame didn't flex much instead I got a loud crunch out of my drivetrain and my crank advanced about a quarter revolution. Since I was only 50 meters from a big hill I live a third of the way up I downshifted and slowly spun up my hill in my easiest gear. I noticed a click and a bit of skip going up the hill and when I got home I put the bike away as I had to travel for Easter and hoped it would magically be fine when I went to take it out next. Fast forward to today when I rode it into work and unfortunately for me it wasn't fine. I have a bit of a click, sometimes a skip, sometimes all hell breaking loose in the drivechain now. I've noticed this happening in both the big and small chanrings and it also doesn't seem to be isolated to a particular cog in the back. The shifting seems to be mostly ok though I did have a couple issues. Of course when not under load, everything seems fine. Any guesses as to what I did?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me identify what I broke [Tracker09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the chainring bolts tight? How about the cassette if you take the wheel off, any play in it? Does it shift fine all the way up and down the cassette when not under a load?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try narrowing things down. Swap out the rear wheel + cassette for a training wheel/spare (if you have one). That's let you halve the number of possibilities. Unlikely to be the cranks anyway because as you say it does it on big and little rings. Also unlikely to be rounded off teeth on the cassette since it does it on different cogs. Probably going to end up being the chain if you've massively stretched a link/s, or the freehub in the rear wheel if you have damaged a pawl or something. Try a different wheel + cassette, if it still does it try replacing the chain. If it goes away with the new wheel, try your original cassette on the replacement wheel. If it's still gone in that situation, probably your freehub, or at a push the freehub body if the splines have rounded.

Let us know..
Last edited by: knighty76: Apr 22, 14 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have bet you broke a tooth on your chainring (possibly cassette), but it doesn't seem to be specific to that.

Broke a pawl on the freehub body? (could be consistent with the 'slipping' that you felt)
Damaged the chain?
Damaged jockey on the rear derailleur? (shifting issues)

...these are all possibilities.
Last edited by: beston: Apr 22, 14 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking chain or something in the BB/crank/frame interface.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing bad bb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Upon further inspection of the inside part of the chain. I found a link had broken.

I'm hoping that's the only problem. I know my chain is dirty I have Rock and Roll Gold chain lube on there and didn't wipe it yet. Does anyone else get as much crap on there using that kind of lube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracker09 wrote:
Upon further inspection of the inside part of the chain. I found a link had broken.

I'm hoping that's the only problem. I know my chain is dirty I have Rock and Roll Gold chain lube on there and didn't wipe it yet. Does anyone else get as much crap on there using that kind of lube?

I think you are putting too much lube on the chain and not cleaning it before application. It should be clean to the touch and not leave a black residue on your fingertip (or calf)

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check the rear casset. You might need to tighten it on the free hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to R&R to avoid having my chain look like that. I'm shocked at how clean mine stays with very little work. While the buildup of residual crap doesn't sound like it's causing the noise you describe, I can't imagine it helps the life of your chain either.

Glad the chain didn't fly apart and leave your totally stranded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracker09 wrote:

I'm using "squirt", it's a wax based dry lube, works great.
Doesn't attract dirt so the chain stays clean

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracker09 wrote:

Rock and Roll Gold is the Sh!t!! Spins Like Butta' (if you use it frequently enough, you have some work to do ;-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that you know what the issue is, it's a pretty simple fix. FYI, I decided to change my inner chain ring on my cross bike the other day. When I looked at the chain I figured I'd get a new one of those as well as it had a number of miles and lots of gunk on it. Well, that led to taking the rear cogset off and cleaning it which lead to cleaning the gunk off the RD which lead to degreasing the chain stay which led to cleaning the rear hub which led to cleaning the old outer chainring and cranks and the bottom of the bike. A couple of hours later and I was ready to reassemble everything.

It's all together now but I haven't been out for a ride to really test out. We'll see if all works well.

A couple of thoughts though. I now see what the manufacturers have done to make narrower chains and lighten them. I'm old school where I'm used to pushing a pin part ways put and then reusing it. Now, the pins on the chain have a ridge to keep them there (except for the master). And, perhaps because I'm used to the old school stuff, I never load up the drivetrain before I shift. But I'm getting Ui2 on my Tri bike so who knows.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me identify what I broke [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triflorida wrote:
I switched to R&R to avoid having my chain look like that. I'm shocked at how clean mine stays with very little work. While the buildup of residual crap doesn't sound like it's causing the noise you describe, I can't imagine it helps the life of your chain either.

Glad the chain didn't fly apart and leave your totally stranded.

Just curious how you first apply it and how often you clean / re-apply? I don't want it looking like this either but I always seem to end up looking like this no matter what chain lube I use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look for a twisted chain. Check every link, both sides. If it's an Ultegra chain, with the holes in the links, they bend easier.

IF you load up the chain at the same time it's trying to shift a gear (presumably up the cluster to an easier gear?) then you can twist a chain. I've done it, my boss did it and even a skinny woman I know has done it.

Possible, but less likely is a bent, chipped or broken tooth on your cassette. If it's happening in every gear, probably the chain. If it is the chain, don't waste time trying to straighten it, just get a new chain. Straightening a chain is just a roadside fix to get you home.

Oops, didn't read the whole thread. At least I was close by suspecting the chain. And I guess, a broken link is just a bent link, bent to the point of failure :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Last edited by: tridork: Apr 22, 14 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first time, I used quite a bit by squirting it on the chain at the rear derailleur while freewheeling backward then wiping as much off as I could with a shop rag...repeat a couple times. I think I went through about a third of a bottle. Since then, I only use it if I have a dusty or wet ride or several hundred miles. I follow the directions on the bottle; when I finally stopped being scared of wiping the chain too much, life got easier and my chain stays clean.
Quote Reply