Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose new components
Quote | Reply
As you'll see from my pictures below (which I couldn't figure out how to rotate), I need some new components on my bike. I had my bike hanging on my treadmill while changing the cassette on my trainer and it fell and it bent the big chain ring so as it comes around there is a definite wobble on part of it. I didn't notice this for a while so I am pretty sure since then it has stretched my chain and possibly rounded off the teeth on my cassette. So I am thinking I should buy new chain rings in the front, a new chain and a new rear cassette.

I am not exactly sure what I can reuse or what needs to be replaced (like my crank arms). Currently I have Truvativ 170 mm crank arms, says Rouleur and GXP GIGA X PIPE on there too. Chain rings are Raceface 53 X 39 tooth 9/10 speed. 28 X 11 cassette, I think a low level Sram or Shimano, and a Sram Rival rear derailleur. All of this is on a Specialized Transition.

What I am hoping you can help me with is telling me what exactly you would buy to get this bike back up and running. Do I need to get new crank arms, or can I reuse the ones I have? Since I need to change some things, should I also look at changing out other parts? I am not looking for highest grade necessarily, but if there is a more expensive part you would buy, then let me know. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose new components [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a new chainring. Done.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose new components [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That big ring should have been replaced a long time ago. Get new chainrings. You will most likely need a new chain and cassette. The drive train parts all tend to wear out together. May need new jockey wheels on the derailleur too.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose new components [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto the above with a resounding absolutely. That’s the most text book pic of shark-toothing I’ve ever seen.

Might also help to run a new shifter cable and perform a little TLC cleaning to spot anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose new components [Testament TN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree with you and rotosound that the rings, cassette and chain need to be replaced, I don not agree that all drivetrain parts wear out at the same time. I get about 3000 miles from a chain and about 6000 miles from a cassette. I've never kept a crankset long enough to wear out the chainrings. I have 2 bikes that have more than 20,000 miles on the chainrings now. They are very sweat-stained, though.
Quote Reply