Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose my next IM
Quote | Reply
I'm having an uncharacteristically hard time deciding on my next race. I want it to be an enjoyable experience - so in an interesting/beautiful location and a well run event with a good course. Within that scope of requirements, picking a race that improves my chances at a KQ would be nice too. There are races in Europe that look like a lot of fun and my experience is that the races there are extremely well-run, but they also seem to have a bit stiffer competition. I will be jumping up to M40-44 next year. It seems my W/CdA is better than my W/kg relative to other athletes, but I'm not a terrible climber... Here is what is currently on my list:

1) Canada
2) Brazil (Florianopolis)
3) Switzerland
4) Maastricht
5) Vineman

So where should I race?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my next IM [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Switzerland is on the list copenhagen should be too. Epic race. The run is the biggest party I have ever seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my next IM [mossym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll check it out!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few nice ones (;-)) in France. Loved it there!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my next IM [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's true - Nice is definitely on my list, but I not leaning that way for this season.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vicky and Lanzarote look pretty awesome too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a scenic location you are after, Maastricht wouldn't be my choice. Did it this year - it's not bad, but there are certainly more beautiful locations. The swim is in the canal; two loop bike course crossing Netherlands / Belgium border, that runs mostly though fields, some cobble stones (goodbye Vector2 pod) and one rather steep, albeit not very tall hill; and a four loop run, again going through the fields and town center.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my next IM [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, part of me wants to just screw any considerations for KQ and just enter Nice... I did 4:59 in Boulder this year on the bike, including a crash, and BBS estimates I would do the Nice course in 5:50 on the same power.... which would put me waaaayyyyy down in the results. But it looks like a fantastic race and I have always wanted to go to the south of France...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my next IM [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good info, thanks!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Ed,

I vote for IMC! Some thoughts here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e_in_NA%3F_P6033556/

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do Canada or Vineman competitively, then pick one in Europe to do for fun thereafter, using the fitness you just built up.

FWIW, I evaluated all races and selected Nice for next year, so that's where my allegiance is. I'm not competitive in my age group though. It just sounds like the nicest place and most fun course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad that you had such a good first one and want to give the distance (at least) one more go. I will be in contact for sure!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IM Switzerland last month and it was a fantastic venue. I can't compare to the other 4 on your list since I haven't done them. Yes, my experience from racing in Europe is the competition is tougher and they attract fewer one-n-done type athletes. On the other hand, with a smaller field there is a lot less drafting. I only saw one wheel sucker during the bike leg in Zurich. The new run course they instituted this year was very scenic although I was too miserable to fully enjoy it. Check the course ratings at trirating.com to help you pick the one most suited to your strengths, but if you are going for the experience and location you can't go wrong with Switzerland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice is so much cooler than I ever expected and I would go back in a minute. Breathtaking scenery, amazing food, and an incredible venue. I for sure am going back some day. One of my favorite places in the world. I could just sit at the cages and sip coffee and be content, but to race there is simply incredible.

RowToTri wrote:
Actually, part of me wants to just screw any considerations for KQ and just enter Nice... I did 4:59 in Boulder this year on the bike, including a crash, and BBS estimates I would do the Nice course in 5:50 on the same power.... which would put me waaaayyyyy down in the results. But it looks like a fantastic race and I have always wanted to go to the south of France...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The great Floridian, redman, rev3 cedar point, hits
https://www.k226.com/events/events.aspx
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Aug 29, 16 23:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't go wrong with Whistler. In consideration of an adventure and potential for KQ it might be worth considering South Africa.
Quote Reply