Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me change my gxp bb
Quote | Reply
My bottom bracket worn out. Talked to trek and order the parts they told me I needed (it's a 2012 speed concept). I'm not that familiar with bottom brackets, but in the kit they sent me, it appears that there's just the bearings and washers, no 'shell' or whatever it's called that goes into the bike. Is this correct? Do I just change the bearings?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me change my gxp bb [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me change my gxp bb [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that I look closely. The bearings were on what appears to be a cheap plastic 2 piece shell. Could that possibly be the shell that goes into the bike? It's really thin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. The only purpose of that thin plastic sleeve is to keep water coming in from the seat tube (or elsewhere) from contaminating the bearings. It's not a structural part of the BB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mix25T4PdnY
Last edited by: vjohn: Feb 2, 17 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Help me change my gxp bb [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Takes 40 Nm to tighten a hollowtech 2. Look up how much torque it takes to tighten your BB. Probably about the same but check just to make sure. If you don't own a torque wrench, 40 Nm is one grunt. When you stop pushing as hard as you can with one arm on the end of the BB wrench after one grunt.

You don't want it loosening. But you don't want to overtighten and ruin the frame threads either.

Also make sure both ends go in nice and straight and don't begin to cut new threads.

Does the non-drive side crank arm have a preload bolt? Tighten that first to 3-4 Nm doesn't take much, before tightening the crankarm bolts.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me change my gxp bb [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His bottom bracket doesn't need to be torqued.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me change my gxp bb [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
It is pressfit? If so then never mind I didn't realize they were using them on 2012 Treks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me change my gxp bb [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
It is pressfit? If so then never mind I didn't realize they were using them on 2012 Treks.

Yep. Second worst part of the bike. Right behind the rear brake.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply