Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UPDATE: Price Check?? Help me budget/plan my bike upgrade
Quote | Reply
When I get home from this often-whined-about deployment, I intend to take some (all) of the money I've saved and buy a new bike. I'm a proud MOP rider (proud because I am solidly BOP in the swimming) and currently have a Felt B16 that's SLIIIIGHTLY too big for me, hence the intent to upgrade. Getting a professional fit will be part of the process here, but I've got a good idea of what Stack/Reach I'm looking for and would like to pre-plan (and get advice on) what components, accessories and, OK, maybe even some recommendations on models...

Specifically, I'm thinking that I should just suck it up and splurge on Di2 Ultegra. On one hand, I certainly don't need it at my skill level. On the other hand, I'd rather have a really enjoyable and crisp groupset than a frameset that's slightly more aero (don't crucify me). I also like to do my own work on my bikes and not having to deal with cable changes and derailleur adjustments sounds incredible.

Second issue: PM. I'd like to make the jump into power as well. Right now I'm leaning towards the Vector S - I don't love wrenching enough that I want to mess with my BB, I'd rather avoid hub based PMs, and after researching the Vectors at length it sounds like the unreliability that people complain about is not as common as I initially thought.

With all that said, two rather expensive parts of a bike are going to drive the cost up HIGH. Is it reasonable to think I might be able to get into this bike (used, of course), for roughly $3,000? I was looking at BMC TM and Cannondale framesets that were either bought with Di2 or had it professionally installed afterwards and it seems like I'd have to be patient and do some shopping, but not IMPOSSIBLE...

What are your recommendations on setting a budget for the upgrade (hopefully the last bike I buy for a decade or so) and any other recommendations on must-haves / nice-to-haves / don't-bother-withs?

EDIT: Due to Black Friday / Model Year Closeout, I could get my hands on a 2014 BMC TM02 with an Ultegra Di2 build for $3300...on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is paying $2,000 for my nephew's tricycle, and 10 is a free superbike...how good a deal is this?
Last edited by: tacetman: Nov 28, 14 20:44
Quote Reply
Re: Help me budget/plan my bike upgrade (self-present) [tacetman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I polly would stick to mechanical, I don't see much advantage to electronic shifting worth a substantial amount of money for the average athlete. I'd say take di2 money and get wheels, saddle, aero bars you like etc which will give you substantial performance advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Price Check?? Help me budget/plan my bike upgrade [tacetman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found a potentially very good deal on a TM02...but time is a factor. What do you guys think of a 2014 TM02 with a Di2 build (Ultegra) for ~$3300?
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Price Check?? Help me budget/plan my bike upgrade [tacetman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd buy it. But I'm impulsive like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd really have to see it but it sounds like a fair deal. Di2 is really nice.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Re: UPDATE: Price Check?? Help me budget/plan my bike upgrade [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I love my electronic shifting on my TT bike.
Quote Reply