Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help developing 70.3 performances to IM
Quote | Reply
I have been consistently finishing 70.3 races consistently under 4:30 with splits averaging 28:00/2:20/1:28. I am definitely stronger on flatter courses with a 2:12 bike and 1:25 run in Clearwater.
My best IM was 10:26 in Lake Placid 2000 (my second IM) on about 12 hours/week. My best IM splits are 57 (CDA '05), 5:21 ( Penticton '01), and 3:35 (LP '00).
I'm headed back to CdA '15 and want to break 10 hours, maybe even KQ. How should I attack the next 9 months to make me stronger at longer distances?
Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
I have been consistently finishing 70.3 races consistently under 4:30 with splits averaging 28:00/2:20/1:28. I am definitely stronger on flatter courses with a 2:12 bike and 1:25 run in Clearwater.
My best IM was 10:26 in Lake Placid 2000 (my second IM) on about 12 hours/week. My best IM splits are 57 (CDA '05), 5:21 ( Penticton '01), and 3:35 (LP '00).
I'm headed back to CdA '15 and want to break 10 hours, maybe even KQ. How should I attack the next 9 months to make me stronger at longer distances?

I feel your pain as I am relatively better the shorter the race gets...grew up as a track sprinter. Putting that aside, maybe you need more volume at the right time of year and your nutrition plan/sodium/hydration plan is failing you at IM. In a half IM, nutrition barely comes into play in the final 60 min of a 4:30 race. You can be mildly dehydrated and low on sodium and empty your calorie tank and do just fine racing the final 30 minutes on fumes. With the taper, last nite's pasta and today's breakfast, you get 3-3.5 hours for free. That gets you most of the way to the finish line in a half IM. For full IM even at 10 hours flat, you have 7 hours of nutrition management to deal with. 7 hours is 7x greater than managing nutrition for 1 hour or so in an half IM. So have a look at what you are doing on that front. The engine is clearly there!
Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt on nutrition Paul. When you and I were biking near each other in '99 in LP, I had a brick in my stomach from too many Powerbars!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
No doubt on nutrition Paul. When you and I were biking near each other in '99 in LP, I had a brick in my stomach from too many Powerbars!
LP 99 was an awesome race. I wish we could dial back the clock 15 years and get those running legs back though!
Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats your training look like now?

Id say you swim is strongest, you can cut that volume a little. Bike is probably weakest by a small margin.... and may explain the run times being slower in full distasnce. Are you small and light?

Improve the bike. And get nutrition sorted.

How soon do you eat after the swim? I think air in the stomach is the primary enemy in gi issues.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you do the proper process in training, nutrition is easy and should not be a issue at all. People make it overcomplicated. A simple understanding of nutrition and methodological approach/practice of it in training and you will never have issue anymore for the rest of your career.

As for your plan, BALANCE. you have very even performance in the 3 sport. you need to be fit on the swim so doing your 57minutes is easy and you get out of the water feeling fresh. You need great bike fitness...and not use it on race day! Then, it come down to running and it s the most important discipline of the 3. if you want to get in kona, put a solid marathon after a very controle swim bike.

-balance, consistency, challenge yourself and do the general preparation now...specific come later when nearing the competition phase.

so for now, consistency...and get fast! going long is for april may and june! I do have a crew of 4 athlete heading do CDA 15 with the same goal as you and very similar times. should be fun to see how this unfold!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When was your most recent IM? All of the ones with your best splits are (nearly) 10+ years old. Also on that note which AG would you be in next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
When was your most recent IM? All of the ones with your best splits are (nearly) 10+ years old. Also on that note which AG would you be in next year?
My last IM was CDA '05, walked 13.1 miles and inspected ALL of the port-a-potties! With kids and lack of success at IM, I've been mostly racing 1/2's. Finished 20th in 35-39 at Clearwater in '08 or '09.The last 2 years, I raced Leadman 250 Bend, with some good success last year swimming 2.7 in 1:05, biking the 135 miles in 6:27 (was in 3rd OA at mile 100) And faded from there to 7th in 9:35.
I'll be 42 come race day in CDA.
Trying to figure out if I should start doing some FTP work now and work volume later, the reverse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less specific now (build ftp)...more specific later. (Volume)

Volume builds ftp, but does it slower.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

WOW! It's been a long time since I've read something so well written on ST. Very nice, to the point, clear and tells the OP everything he needs to know about his training.
2 thumbs up!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

WOW! It's been a long time since I've read something so well written on ST. Very nice, to the point, clear and tells the OP everything he needs to know about his training.
2 thumbs up!
Yes. I am a simple man myself and appreciate simple, easy-to-understand advice and training principles.
Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

Any thoughts on usin TrainerRoad 40K plan for 12 weeks to kick things off right now? I've got a good base from summer training and racing and have had a few weeks off unstructured training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What were your 70.3 times when you raced the IM's 10 years ago?
Quote Reply
Re: Help developing 70.3 performances to IM [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
What were your 70.3 times when you raced the IM's 10 years ago?
I had only raced 1 in 1999, a fairly 'easy' course and finished in 4:38 (33 swim, 2:35 bike,1:25 run-probably short by a minute's time). Living in Alaska at the time and too much $ to get race the Lower 48. When I left in 2007, I raced it in 4:22 on Olympic-distance volume with a 29/2:22/1:27. Between the two, I racked up 6 Ironman finishes ranging from 10:26 to 11:48.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...it looks like I've had waaayyy more detraining happen that I thought. I did a quick-and-dirty 8-minute test using TrainerRoad and my current FTP is down about 10% from mid-season form. I don't want to burn myself out and kill myself in October for a June race...how many FTP sessions/week would be best right now. My running is almost non-existent because of a hip injury-could I get away with 2 sessions per week working FTP intervals and have 2 Zone 2 rides?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Well...it looks like I've had waaayyy more detraining happen that I thought. I did a quick-and-dirty 8-minute test using TrainerRoad and my current FTP is down about 10% from mid-season form. I don't want to burn myself out and kill myself in October for a June race...how many FTP sessions/week would be best right now. My running is almost non-existent because of a hip injury-could I get away with 2 sessions per week working FTP intervals and have 2 Zone 2 rides?

I would be careful doing too much hard stuff too early. You have been in the sport long enough and can't attack this like someone who has just been around for a years and wants to "take it to the next level". That's a recipe for burn out long before your A event. You need to pick your battles in life through the year and can't train like a pro or a young guys with only a few years in this sport. Pace yourself out. Don't be an Oct/Nov training hero, burn out in December, gain 15 lbs over the holidays and then try to re start in Jan from a big hole. Take it easy now, just train hard on days you want, let your hip get better, enjoy the outdoors, and come back in December with a fresh mind and in the mean time, when you get on the trainer, just toy around with different amounts of intensity based on what you feel like doing TODAY.

...and it is FINE to get decently de trained. In fact, I would say it is healthy to let the pointy end fitness go and just be a generally fit guy for 4-6 months per year, but where your amount of exercise is enough so you are energized and healthy, but not the amount that you are often tired for life outside training. I'd contend that spending a good block of the year jacking up your general health and all organ functions etc, sets you up better for the other half of the year where you are trying to extract pointy end fitness. You need your head totally in the game and committed for those 6 months when you want to give the KQ a good run. Don't burn up too many mental or physical matches now. The race is not next month, and like any pacing you need to pace your way through the year. Let yourself get out of pointy end shape, so when your mind is ready for the KQ run, you have added motivation to pull it together.

I don't know what else is going on in your life, but if you are like the rest of us, there is a lot and every day getting to the start line of today's training is a big achievement, because it involves prioritizing many aspects of life to just to fit in the training. That requires a ton of mental focus over time. It's not that tough doing it one day, but 365 days is tough 180 days is easier.
Quote Reply