Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help dealing with bike store (damaged softride)
Quote | Reply
I need some help in dealing with a bike shop. They are a reputable shop in Illinois and are one of a few that have ever worked on softride bikes. It was over an hour away but I wanted my bikes to be well taken care of. I gave them a bike with a classic beam (the beam needed to be replaced with another beam I had) and a delaminated beam from another bike that needed to be fixed. This was 3 months ago. When I delivered it to them they said a couple weeks. I kept on calling and they ensured me progress was being made. I didn’t need the bike right away so I didn’t care if it was taking a bit longer. The bike was ready but the beam is still not ready (sleeve off but not replaced on beam) I went to the store to pick up the bike today and I pull up the beam to make sure everything is done right. As I pulled it up I noticed that the round tubing where the washers fit in was bent. It is oval on one side and dented and oval on another. To top it off the beam was not threaded on right. I”m a pretty calm guy but I’m starting to get a bit angry here. I gave them my perfectly good softride with a beam that needed to be replaced now I’m worried that it’s a piece of trash. They are taking it to their other shop so their master mechanic can see if it can be salvaged. I know there are shop owners on here and people who work with the industry. I’m trying to figure out how to deal with them. Not sure going in yelling will be the best. To be honest I don’t even know what I want them to do about it? At a bit of a loss. How would you deal with it and owners, what is the liability of bikes in your possession?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Help dealing with bike store (damaged softride) [tryguy67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If possible, I would be very polite and try to speak directly to the "master mechanic". If he is good and been in the industry for awhile, he would be your best bet for a straight up answer to what and how happened. Them sending it to him in the first place would seem that they are concerned they fucked up but do not want to say a word till they see if he can fix...........That is where I would start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotta ask, do you have pictures, can you prove, that the bike wasn't damaged when you gave it to them? They may do the right thing and make it right for you. But if they decided to stick to their guns there'd be nothing you could do unless you could prove they caused the damage. You did give them a damaged bike after all. They could simply claim the damage was already there and they didn't/couldn't fix it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Help dealing with bike store (damaged softride) [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could say that but I would lose total respect for them telling a lie like that. The tube where the height adjustment washer goes in is separate from the beam that was being replaced. If your not careful you can put pressure on that tube and bend it when replacing the new beam. It is essentially a round piece of aluminum tubing that sits on top of the frame about 6" behind where the front beam mount is.
Last edited by: tryguy67: Nov 25, 14 18:58
Quote Reply
Post deleted by tryguy67 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my own information, what shop was it? I live in the South Suburbs and ride a Rocket. Im both interested in a potential softride shop, and want to know who to stay away from depending on how your story ends.
Quote Reply
Re: Help dealing with bike store (damaged softride) [seiken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been stewing about this but I don't want to call anyone out on the board at this time. If I lived out that direction and I needed work done I would go to urban tri gear in west not. They do great work. They won't touch things like delaminates beams though.
Quote Reply