Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help cleaning up external cable routing
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a 2007 Felt S32 which is a solid bike for how old it is, but leaves a lot to be desired with the bars and external cable routing.

I just installed a new set of Profile Design T3+ bars to help out and I’m thinking of getting the PD T2 Wing as well.

Any help or tips for cleaning up the front end would be great. I’m considering just taking it down to my LBS and letting them do it, but I wouldn’t be against doing thing myself. The only internal cable is the rear brake.

Would going to a center pull front brake like a TriRig Omega help? Would I need a cable stop someplace?

Should I just get longer shifter cables and ziptie them together in front of the head tube?

I’m not really sure what the best course of action is here.

Edit: finally got the pic added :)

Thanks in advance guys!

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Last edited by: triathlonpal: Mar 17, 18 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: Help cleaning up external cable routing [triathlonpal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll give you a vision base bar if you have your stem is 28.6, just PM, I don’t want any cash for it, it’s just sitting around.
Quote Reply
Re: Help cleaning up external cable routing [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! PM sent

So I was looking at those TriRig Omega x brakes and it looks like the new ones have a cable stop built in... is that right? So it’s just a matter of trimming the housing to fit and running the cable?

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re correct about the TriRig brake, I don’t have one but looks pretty cut and dry to install. People here will tell you that’s a good upgrade, I’ve never read complaints about it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zip ties and heat shrink tubing will help. Segmented housing will allow you to make tighter cable turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Omega brake is not the best bang for the buck thing you can do with your bike.
I'd suggest you cut the back of the extensions as short as possible and see if you can get a decent cable path out the back of the extension down to the frame (behind the bar). If it works you then zip tie the cables to each other in order to stay close to the frame (don't do that super tight).
Both your brake cables can be cut short, the front only by a little. The rear by a lot more - it only needs to be long enough to allow you to go around turns without autobraking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vyour first upgrade should be a new base bar. That much round tubing on the front of the bike is absolutely horrible. I bet you are losing 10 watts minimum.

The TriRig will help and it is a super easy install.

Pull the brake cables back and zip tie behind the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to visualise your routing from a 3D perspective, but for me I made mine a little tidier by crossing the shifter cable to the opposite side’s downtube boss, then crossing the bare cables again on the run to the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Help cleaning up external cable routing [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are two pics with the only bars on (you see the bars are L shaped with the pads resting on the shorter part)

Anyway, the cable for the brakes cross over with the front going down to the brake and the back going into the top tube on the opposite side from the brake lever.

The shifter cables were ziptied to the extensions to make it cleaner (they are internal on the new T3+) and then they run to the headtube where there is a clip and then they run externally down the down tube to the bottom bracket.

I hope these help you visuaalise it better. I’ll be totally recableing the bike when I get the new basebar, so I’ll have a few more options then I think.

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

While I agree neat cables are important, if it were my bike I'd start by getting rid of the unnecessary aero obstructions. eg cut down the base bar ends to leave the tips horizontal, and those elbow pad support bar ... things:

Here is someone else's neat job of a crossover shifter cable routing:

Also make your front brake cable shorter so it sits in front of the head tube, not out to the side.
Quote Reply
Re: Help cleaning up external cable routing [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Thanks.

While I agree neat cables are important, if it were my bike I'd start by getting rid of the unnecessary aero obstructions. eg cut down the base bar ends to leave the tips horizontal, and those elbow pad support bar ... things:

Already taken care of.

In the OP I have the new picture with the T3+ bars. That was my first change. I’ve got plans for a new base bar as well.

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply