Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help choosing new bike!
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

First post here, and just looking to get some thoughts/advice on tt/tri bikes.

Currently, I have a 2012 Giant Defy 2 with Shimano Tiagra components and 105 RD. 50x34 compact crank. 12x30 cassette. Fulcrum 7 wheels.
I do a lot of training in the drops and I have put in a solid 2.5 years of mileage on this bike. ~7500 total?

I just completed my first 70.3 (Wildflower) and loved it.
30:47 Swim
3:11:42 Bike
1:58 Run (Combined times)

I know this course is a very tough one, but I know by upgrading my bike I can begin to see some real improvements both on the bike and the run (saving the legs).
I wish money wasn't an option, but I am looking at the 2k-3k range. Maybe Ultegra? I've looked into the Slice and P2/P3. I have also considered buying a frame now and building up with components/wheels/etc. I'm hesitant with Craig's List ads only because the fact that people may have crashed them (plus smaller cracks would be harder to find when looking) also the fact that I don't want to get screwed over from someone.

I plan on doing 3 Olympics (Rancho Seco, CA) the rest of the year, plus either IM Tahoe 70.3 or IM Timberman 70.3 BUT I plan on having my new bike by then :)

Thanks in advance for the thoughts/advice!

-Seth Rose
Quote Reply
Re: Help choosing new bike! [srose3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It s hard to beat the new P2. It is a good entry level build on a very fast frame. The only missing component is fast wheels. I don't know the Felt line well, but their TT3 wheels are pretty decent in terms of aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the post above. P2 is a great bike, a couple of upgrades here and there and you've got a solid race machine. Fit should be the top consideration, but Cervelo's P series bikes fit a good range of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Help choosing new bike! [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya. I've heard a lot of good things about the P2.
There's a shop around the area that has Cervelo, so maybe I'll go check it out and see how it feels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to give you the answer you don't want to hear, but it always comes up...get the bike that fits you best. If you jump into a P2, and it is not the right fit for you, you are going to be miserable. It's good to have a starting set of bikes you are looking at for reference, but go get fit & see which one works best for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help choosing new bike! [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So just go to different shops and try handful of bikes? What sort of things should I be looking for/avoiding in a TT bike? Other than comfort/discomfort obviously.
Quote Reply
Re: Help choosing new bike! [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
It s hard to beat the new P2. It is a good entry level build on a very fast frame. The only missing component is fast wheels. I don't know the Felt line well, but their TT3 wheels are pretty decent in terms of aero

If it fits you a barely used, well maintained B12 kicks butt...Dura Ace front/rear, nice wheel set ect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say start with someone who will do a quick & dirty "fit" to get you started. Are you short legged-long torso? Long legged-short torso? Find a bike that can adjust properly to that with room to grow (e.g. saddle not slammed all the way forward & bars all the way back). Look for a bike that has the most adjustability without sacrificing the aero benefits. Size is important, but different bikes are built differently.

Then look at the build. Do you want 105 components or would you prefer Ultegra? Do you want to step up to Di2? Do they put a cheap crank on the bike to save money?

Of course, your budget should always be important. If you can't afford a $7500 bike, don't let someone talk you up to one.

BTW...I'm not knocking the Cervelo. I think they are great bikes. But a lot of people jump at them because they are the hot name. I almost bought a P3 myself until I tried it out & I found it was not the right fit for me. Now I ride a Blue Triad EX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as it fits you, I would suggest getting a Shiv and negotiating the crap out of the price while you wait for the low pro recall fix........then try and work a deal to get the $100 credit for a new Evade helmet. After all said and done, I was able to get mine for a $1,000 off retail and basically a free helmet. Now I wait for repairs..................

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt offers a broad range of tri-specific bikes. B series, DA and the IA. You can get a lot of "aero value" for your dollar with Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'8" and I'm rounding up... Short torso and short legs (I'm guessing). And are you talking about like if I get comfortable in a position then have the ability to extend the bars/raise saddle?

I've looked at the Quintana Roo PR6 (little too pricey) but love the simplicity and the ability to accommodate different bars and components.

I think I'd rather skip 105, and move to ultegra with a better crank. But most likely my 2k-3k budget will only get me ultegra OR a nicer crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3k can get you a very legit bike if you are patient and shop around. Look for older or "last year" models.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srose3 wrote:
I'm 5'8" and I'm rounding up... Short torso and short legs (I'm guessing). And are you talking about like if I get comfortable in a position then have the ability to extend the bars/raise saddle?

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. So short legs & a longer torso (relative to my body). You will see a ton of posts here talking about frames that are better for different torso lengths/leg lengths. My point is that you don't want to have the bike at the limits of its adjustability. You will change as you ride more & get more comfortable on a tri bike & you will want to play with the seat & bars. Make sure you give yourself that play space.

srose3 wrote:
I've looked at the Quintana Roo PR6 (little too pricey) but love the simplicity and the ability to accommodate different bars and components.

I think I'd rather skip 105, and move to ultegra with a better crank. But most likely my 2k-3k budget will only get me ultegra OR a nicer crankset.

You can easily get a full Ultegra groupset for $3k. you just need to shop around. Like shivermetimbers said, you can always negotiate upgrades. And arby is right about Felt being a great deal for the money (another bike I considered, but ruled out was the B-series).

I think my point is to go look with an open mind without having your heart set on a specific brand or model.
Quote Reply
Re: Help choosing new bike! [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So tell me about this Shiv "Recall"? Did I read that correctly?
And I want to avoid the Craig's list if possible. However, I am on a few FB classifieds pages that I can ask around for. My friend is selling his shiv but it's a bit large for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya my inseam is like 31" on a good day. So that's why I say I'm pretty evened out. And I understand what you're saying. Find a bike that I can grow into. Does that limit me as far a bikes go? Or is that more about size. I've heard people who ride 54's will buy 52 frames to feel more compact, but I don't see how your knees can not hit the bars at that point. I ride a 54 (M) frame now btw.

Why do you rule out the b-series?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Blue is a MD (53.5 top tube) and I had issues where my knees hit my elbows (not the bars), but that was easily fixed by angling my aero bars up a bit and pushing my seat back a bit. I was still able to maintain proper angles and I'm more comfortable.

I ruled out the Felt because I wanted Di2 and the B2 was the one I was looking at, but no one was able to get one in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I see what you're saying now. You're taller but still ride a MD. But the bike is adjustable to accommodate different positions.

And ok. Just as long as the Felt isn't bad I'll look into it also. I don't think I'm ready for electric yet. Not saying it wouldn't e awesome, I just don't think I'd be able to appreciate it haha since I haven't felt what ultegra or DA feels like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the land of ST Seth. I would go in and talk with Bryan at FunSport and see what he thinks about the new P2 for you (as in does it fit you). Can't really beat the price on that bike, and with him being the local Cervelo dealer that helps as well. I believe he has a new "fit bike" in the shop as well that can help you sort out what frames will work for you. Whatever you do, don't buy a bike because the price is right or you *think* it will work. Buy a bike because it is the right geometry for you and will work for your body.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current 105 is just as nice as the current ultegra, I couldn't recommend buying an ultegra over a 105 unless you are talking about the last gen 105 which was only 10 speed. I generally agree with the other posters who say "find one that fits". You can also go on splinster and rent TT bikes for a weekend and see how they ride/feel to you and get a better feel for what you like/don't like. Reflexively buying a Cervelo because everyone on ST says it is a good idea is a recipe for you to waste your money and be underwhelmed.
Quote Reply
Re: Help choosing new bike! [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brad, awesome seeing you on here. First off congrats on you're past couple races man. What an animal. People like you are driving me to be better and motivate me.

And I have quite a few people saying to go fit some bikes which is realistically the smartest thing I should do.
Some things that I know I need to look for are:
General comfort.
Adjustability. I'm assuming I'll become more comfortable and want to make adjustments.
Toe clearance.
Stiffness? Heard this was important. As far as controlling.

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks for the continued responses guys.

As for the P2, only hear good about them. But everyone and their mother have them! I will have to test it out and see for myself :)
Quote Reply