Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help Running Cable
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to run cables on my new 3T aeronova bars this afternoon and having no luck. I have no problem running any single cable through the bar but trying to get a brake and shift cable through the hole seems improbable. There just does not seem to be enough room.

I bought new housing so I would like to use it but I'm wondering if segmented cables like the ilinks would be easier to use in this case?

I could take it to my shop but it personal now. Any tips?
Quote Reply
Re: Help Running Cable [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with those bars, but general tips for fishing cable housing is to extra cables routed thru first to guide the housing thru next. Typically start with the heavier brake housing first and then the shifter housing. If you have a tight exit area you can try fishing the brake housing almost all the way, but not all the way, so there is more room to work the shift housing close too. Then push them each the rest of the way, one at a time.

I've had to use all kinds of combos of cable, aircraft wire, plastic tubing, etc to get cable housing thru various aero bars and frames. Patience is always a priority!
Quote Reply
Re: Help Running Cable [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I got the job done this morning.

In the past fishing a cable and running the housing overtop worked like a charm. In this case the turn out of the bars was very sharp and it would not work.

What did work was to cut the housing long and put a small kink in the end. About 1/4" is all. Once the housing was pushed to where I could see it at the exit hole I would rotate the housing and the kink would turn and pop out enough to grab it with a tiny set of needle nose pliers.

SummitAK wrote:
I'm not familiar with those bars, but general tips for fishing cable housing is to extra cables routed thru first to guide the housing thru next. Typically start with the heavier brake housing first and then the shifter housing. If you have a tight exit area you can try fishing the brake housing almost all the way, but not all the way, so there is more room to work the shift housing close too. Then push them each the rest of the way, one at a time.

I've had to use all kinds of combos of cable, aircraft wire, plastic tubing, etc to get cable housing thru various aero bars and frames. Patience is always a priority!
Quote Reply