Quote | Reply
By appearance I like both.
it's good money that I'm going to spend
I would like to know more about the appearance, which would be better spent
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having been interested in both bikes, I have yet to hear anything negative about the Madone and how it rides. All good feedback on the Aeroad as well. I'll assume you are not considering disc brakes based on your choice of the Madone, but if disc brakes are a consideration.....the Madone most likely will not have them for another 12 months.

Fit - Aeroad is more of the Madone H1, so if you need a H2 fit on a Trek, tough to make the Aeroad work.
Not sure which models you are looking at but most definitely the Canyon will be less expensive and if I had to guess, I'd say up to $2k less expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi thanks
no disk brake

Aeroroad CF SLX 9.0 DI2
https://www.canyon.com/...-cf-slx-9-0-di2.html

Trek madone race shop limited
https://www.trekbikes.com/...?colorCode=red_white

one this bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the race shop limited madone...

There isnt enough space to type about how much I love it.
Make sure you have a good shop to deal with tho, its kind of a complicated bike. I have not traveled with it yet, thankfully..
Thats the only negative from my view point.

daved
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
I have the race shop limited madone...

There isnt enough space to type about how much I love it.
Make sure you have a good shop to deal with tho, its kind of a complicated bike. I have not traveled with it yet, thankfully..
Thats the only negative from my view point.

daved

Very very thanks
It's hard for me to make the decision
In my country the support is very bad canyon does not exist
and Trek are complicated
But one of the two will buy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit should be your first consideration. If both work I pick the Madone because it is definitely more aero and more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently own a madone, It was a lovely ride and all, but I'm selling it since the H2 fit is way too relaxed for me. I'd get it if you don't mind losing aero-ness due to the geometry.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [higuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
higuy wrote:
Currently own a madone, It was a lovely ride and all, but I'm selling it since the H2 fit is way too relaxed for me. I'd get it if you don't mind losing aero-ness due to the geometry.

So just switching to the H1 geometry of getting something completely different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
higuy wrote:

Hello
I do not understand is not aero la madone?
or the model that you have is not?
Will not it be the size? and not the geometry?
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warlockuy wrote:
MKirk wrote:
higuy wrote:

Hello
I do not understand is not aero la madone?
or the model that you have is not?
Will not it be the size? and not the geometry?
Thank you

The H1 version of the Madone is quite long and low, actually similar to the geometry of the Aeroroad. The H2 version of the Madone is much taller, (has a much higher stack for a given reach or size).

If you can fit comfortably on the H1, overall you will be much more aero, not because of the bike but because your position on the bike will be faster. The position of the rider makes much more difference in overall drag than the bike itself. Depending on who you talk to the rider makes up 75 to 90% of the drag.

On the other hand, if you can't ride for long in a low position, (like me sadly, I'm just not that flexible) then the H2 would be a better choice. If this is the case then the Canyon Aeroroad will not likely be a good fit, its geometry is similar to the H1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s what I would suggest if you’re going for an aero bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As helo guy said, the bike itself in a wind tunnel is extremely aero, perhaps one of the best. However with the H2 geometry that all the non custom Madone’s have, the rider will be in a less aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Madone H2 for a couple years and can't say enough good things. It's just a great bike all around and still feels "new bike fast" whenever I get on it. I built it up as a frame and there is nothing hard about the assembly or maintenance, particularly with a di2 build. Very well thought out.

The stack on the H2 is a little high for a full race bike, but it's not a "comfort bike" (Madone H2 is about 1cm taller than a Tarmac in the same frame size). If you need more drop and don't want to go H1, you can always size down one frame and dial in the needed reach. When I did my project 1 frame, I was able to pick a longer reach (and narrower) integrated bar/stem and also pick a more aggressive seat post set back (bar/seatpost options are not available on Trek's public web site, but the dealer site shows those options). You can also just go with a non-integrated stem, but the trek bar/stem is a work of art and makes for a really clean and comfortable front end with zero cables/wires visible. Just make sure you pick the right width/reach bar the first time, I think replacements are ~$600.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Bluto,

So is this what you did. ie size down? I am contemplating a new Madone now as well, the cost of the Project One is just nuts and my shop is giving me a deal on an off the shelf H2 and selling me whatever integrated bars I need for cost. I am currently on a Giant Propel which also has a tall head tube, 15cm in a size medium vs 15.5 in the 54 Madone. I am using the Propel now with no spacers and could go a bit lower so the 54 Madone will be too tall. If I went with a 52 though I could hit the coordinates by going with the longer stem.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
Hi Bluto,

So is this what you did. ie size down? I am contemplating a new Madone now as well, the cost of the Project One is just nuts and my shop is giving me a deal on an off the shelf H2 and selling me whatever integrated bars I need for cost. I am currently on a Giant Propel which also has a tall head tube, 15cm in a size medium vs 15.5 in the 54 Madone. I am using the Propel now with no spacers and could go a bit lower so the 54 Madone will be too tall. If I went with a 52 though I could hit the coordinates by going with the longer stem.

I'm 6'1" and went with a 58, which was within a few mm perfect stack for me with no spacers and perfect reach with a 120mm "length" bar/stem. Sizing down is a common practice though and I also have a couple 56's in my stable and I have them set with basically same stack, but 130mm stems, all bikes with basically the same reach and stack. If you need to go beyond 130 to make the reach work, I think you are out of luck with the integrated bar. I wouldn't go longer then 130 anyway, at some point it starts to affect handling.

Also, I see on the trek web site that they have the 2017 frameset on special for $2,500. That's the exact same frame as the "Base" $12K+ project one bike, you just can't pick to color. Add the integrated bar and you are around $3k for a really nice frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
higuy wrote:
As helo guy said, the bike itself in a wind tunnel is extremely aero, perhaps one of the best. However with the H2 geometry that all the non custom Madone’s have, the rider will be in a less aero position.
This notion that H2 Madones aren't aero because of an upright riding position is pretty silly. While not as aggressive as the H1 or Canyon, it's still race geometry and in line with lots of other race bikes. My Cervelo S3 had almost exactly the same stack and reach as the Madone H2, and it was within a cm or so of the other bikes I looked at when I was shopping.

Not everybody needs a super-short head tube to get aero, it's going to depend on your body proportions. I have a longish torso and shortish arms, so I don't need a lot of drop. I also prefer a slightly higher hood position that makes IAB comfortable. When I want to get low and aero on the hoods I just bend my elbows more (which is actually more aero than lower bars with straighter arms).

IMHO the fact that Trek offers two geometry options on their bikes is a good thing for most people (it just sucks that people who need the H2 geometry have to pay so much more).
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
higuy wrote:

This notion that H2 Madones aren't aero because of an upright riding position is pretty silly. While not as aggressive as the H1 or Canyon, it's still race geometry and in line with lots of other race bikes. My Cervelo S3 had almost exactly the same stack and reach as the Madone H2, and it was within a cm or so of the other bikes I looked at when I was shopping.

Not everybody needs a super-short head tube to get aero, it's going to depend on your body proportions. I have a longish torso and shortish arms, so I don't need a lot of drop. I also prefer a slightly higher hood position that makes IAB comfortable. When I want to get low and aero on the hoods I just bend my elbows more (which is actually more aero than lower bars with straighter arms).

IMHO the fact that Trek offers two geometry options on their bikes is a good thing for most people (it just sucks that people who need the H2 geometry have to pay so much more).

An odd thing for those thinking of sizing down is that the stack and reach of the H2 Madone is very similar between the 54 and 52.

52: 55.2/379,
54: 56.0/381

So sizing down would just get you 8mm lower and just 2mm less reach.

For the H1 the numbers are much lower and longer for Stack/Reach

52: 51.8/38.8
54: 52.6/390

The H2 is certainly race-able, but the geometry is really more similar to most endurance bikes.

A current 51 cm Cervelo S5 would have Stack/Reach of 519/376, an S3 would be 530/369, so still substantially lower.

A closer match to the H2 would be something like a Cannondale Synapse or Biachi Infinito.

As said before the H1 is close to a Canyon Aeroroad.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without looking to double check, I recall the H2 Madone is exactly the same geo as the Emonda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'17 Madone 9.9 is by far the best bike I've owned. Its the fastest and most comfortable high performance roadie and it turns heads. You won't be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H3 - the Domane fit - is the endurance fit more like the Synapse, in terms of stack and reach.

H2 Madones are a touch higher than most race bikes, but not by much. Same ballpark as Spesh, Cervelo etc.

H1s are some of the longest-and-lowest out there, more than Cannondale's.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Help Madone Race Shop or canyon aeroad [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gracias por los datos
Voy a ir por la madone h1
Muchas gracias a todos
Quote Reply