Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help - Trainer w/power + P1's
Quote | Reply
Just upgraded to Magnus by cycleops. What is the best configuration for me given the following below:

Disclaimer: I am not a technically savy guy when it comes to all the gadgets. Doing good with just my p1's and the road but when it rains I want a back up.

What I have:

Garmin 510, P1's, Cycleops Magnus, Ipad, Laptop (with shitty bluetooth capabilities, mainly for netflix), Iphone

How I train: I have a training peaks plan that I follow to a T to prepare me for races. So I don't zwift or do any of the other video riding (maybe in the off).

Someone please explain to me what should be my best setup given I just need to accomplish my workouts:

A. Use regular pedals and run power off the power meter recording to my phone. Could Training Peaks workout be entered for the day so my trainer will adjust to what my workout is for the day?

B. Leave P1 pedals on, run garmin, again still back to the question on Training Peaks and getting the trainer to read my workout....

Confused...me too but if anyone trains with a coach or a plan how do you use all your technology to accurately record and complete your workout for the day. Yes I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Most important to me is to just figure a way to dump my training peaks into some app that would communicate to my trainer that this is the workout for the day...now do it Magnus. Does that exist?

Thanks for any advise offered.

Nathan
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Trainer w/power + P1's [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is absolutely no reason for you not to use your p1 pedals so option a is silly. the simplest solution would be to get a trainer road subscription and use their workout creator to input your training plan's workouts. you could then pair your trainer and pedals in trainer road, turn on the power match feature so that trainer road compensates for any difference in your trainer's readings, and let trainer road control the resistance as you progress through your workout. trainer road can also upload to strava and training peaks. personally, i record my workouts on my garmin and sync it to training peaks like any other workout.

There might be a free alternative to trainer road that lets you input workouts and ride them while controlling resistance. I don't know, I've never looked.
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Mar 27, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Trainer w/power + P1's [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I love it when people answer every question with the most direct and easy option.

Thank you my good man.

I knew I was over thinking this and that there was an app that handled all of this stuff without having to change my usual setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Trainer w/power + P1's [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to add my 2¢... I agree that there's no reason not to keep your pedals on. I went the Zwift route this winter and have enjoyed the 'company'. I really didn't think I would. There is a workout library, but not nearly as extensive as Trainer Road, you can also build your own workouts in Zwift. Whichever you use just let it sync up to Training Peaks for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help - Trainer w/power + P1's [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. Good to hear I have options. I will look at both.
Quote Reply