Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training.
Quote | Reply
[One Week Update:]

Successes:

I went an entire week without weighing myself. Been about 10 years since I have done that! It was very liberating. I was able to chill and eat more at night, which gave me some freedom.

I ate some new things. I had white potatoes, white rice and some mini snickers. In fact for a couple of meals, I had both white potatoes and sweet potatoes, so an increase in carbs.

I also tried Chicken Pho for the 1st time. Had a HUGE bowl. I thought I was splurging, but this stuff might not be all that bad. Regardless, the stuff was amazing! Its nice to get out and try new things.

Body fat from calipers says I am up to 5.04% BF. The BF at my abs has always remained constant, so that is good.

I actually started doing some weights a few times per week about 5 weeks ago. I am getting stronger. I did 15 chinups (without kipping) yesterday in one set. Couldnt do 3 5 weeks ago.

Now for the Failures:

I lost a pound.

Not sure what happened there. I ate more than usual. I upped my carbs. I used more oil in sauteing my veggies. I did everything by the book. I did not go out and just demolish my diet, but I did increase calories. I also took two days off from training.

[End Update]

So... Male 40, 137 pounds. I finally went and had my body fat % checked and... I have 4% BF.

I don't need a lecture on why this is bad. I've been listening to the lectures and ignoring, but I am now ready to take every one's advice

So, I need literally gain pounds of fat. But, I need to do it in a way that doesn't make me sluggish or lose fitness.

I am training for my 1st HIM in the Spring and full IM in the late summer.

What should I eat and how to build body fat without hindering performance? I workout 8-13 hours a week mainly cause I love training.

P.S. As weird as this sounds, I have spent the past 8 years running from my former 30% BF lethargic self.

I did good losing the wright and keeping it off. But I did toooooo good and developed a bit of a mental disorder. All fat goes straight to my stomach and I don't ever want to see that again.

This is a difficult journey for me. I'm like the only person in the population that has to purposely gain fat.

Edit: Typical Day of Eating when only working out one hour or less.

Meal 1 - Chipotle Salad: Double chicken, black beans, veggies mild and medium salsa, cheese, quacamole on the side

Meal 2 - cottage cheese and banana

Meal 3 - Omlette: 6 Eggs, cheese, pineapple, spinach, veggies. Sweet Potato with walnuts, cinnamon & honey. Asparagus w/ mushrooms. Sometimes a piece of toast.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Feb 19, 18 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
So... Male 40, 137 pounds. I finally went and had my body fat % checked and... I have 4% BF.
I don't need a lecture on why this is bad. I've been listening to the lectures and ignoring, but I am now ready to take every one's advice
So, I need literally gain pounds of fat. But, I need to do it in a way that doesn't make me sluggish or lose fitness.
I am training for my 1st HIM in the Spring and full IM in the late summer.
What should I eat and how to build body fat without hindering performance? I workout 8-13 hours a week mainly cause I love training.
P.S. As weird as this sounds, I have spent the past 8 years running from my former 30% BF lethargic self.
I did good losing the wright and keeping it off. But I did toooooo good and developed a bit of a mental disorder. All fat goes straight to my stomach and I don't ever want to see that again.
This is a difficult journey for me. I'm like the only person in the population that has to purposely gain fat.

Just my n=1 and I mostly swim and run these days, only occasionally jumping in a sprint or Oly tri. At a height of 6'2", I've been as low as 160 and 5% fat, then up through the 160s, 170s, and now about 180 and 10% fat. If you do the math, this means that I gained 10 lb of fat and 10 of muscle, or about half and half. (180 at 10% = 18 lb fat and 162 lean; 160 at 5% = 8 lb fat and 152 lean.) From what I've read, this is a fairly typical weight gain pattern. I look much more muscular now at 180 than at 160, which is kind of cool, and i'm still nowhere close to having any gut. :) I think the fact that I was doing a lot of upper body (UB) exercise (e.g., swimming which for me is roughly 90% UB, plus some stretch cords and body weight exercises) during this roughly 5 yr time period, and that may well be why it appears that i gained most of the muscle in the UB. YMMV but this is how it worked out for me.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Feb 11, 18 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your best bet would probably to make an appointment with a registered dietician who has a background in eating disorders. From previous posts of yours, I think a few people recommended this (or at least the dietician part). You've admitted you have body image issues and fear of gaining weight, so it would make sense to treat the whole issue and not just your diet. Until you address those underlying issues, you will most likely struggle with any recommendations about what to eat from strangers on the internet. It's complicated but can be overcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you need some calorie dense foods with lots of fats. This isn't a problem for 99% of the people on this forum and 99,999% of the general population, so eat what the rest of us crave.

Seriously, I would add cheese to everything and maybe some quality deserts. Cheese cake and buttery pastries. Steer clear of Twinkies, and really crappy stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [JRTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. The thing about me is when I am ready to accept recommendations, I do them without wavering. The fasting thread led me to be ready to check my BF and now increase weight

For my fasting test, I did not cheat on the fast once. Once committed, I follow through with no deviations, which is why I was successful losing weight in the 1st place.

In reality, I could probably take a week to eat pizza, pancakes, burritos and cheesecake to my heart's desire, but I don't think that's the best way to proceed :)

It will be hard, but this morning was the last daily step on the scale ritual. Haven't skipped weighing myself everyday in three years.

Now, my wife will record my weight, measurements and body fat (calipers 3 and 7 site) on Saturdays.

New life starts tomorrow. Just haven't figured out what to eat.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Feb 10, 18 19:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AVOCADOS
Last edited by: toastygloveman: Feb 10, 18 19:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just eat normal healthy food. Eat something wrong every now and then.
It's Mardi Gras. Eat a couple of moon pies. But not a box full. Eat food. Eat a balanced mix of macro nutrients, that should be all there's to it. And make sure to eat recovery food after workouts, it'll help with muscle gain.
Food is enjoyable. Training is enjoyable.
If you eat a balanced diet you'll get a LOT faster, your swim will highly benefit, and you should see your bike ftp go up considerably.
I think it would be a great idea to do a proper swim css test now, and a bike ftp. Then again once you've gained a few pounds. I promise you you'll find improvement.

Oh and me: 45 yo male, 6'7", 190 pounds

NO
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:
AVOCADOS

Yeah!!!!! Love them. I had 3 today :)

I've also been strictly using Avacado oil for cooking for the past year... Mainly for the higher smoke point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call on avocado oil. Also when you are cooking your food, don't be afraid to load up on the oils, butters, and such. It is an easy way to increase your fat intake without changing your diet much.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
Eat a couple of moon pies. But not a box full

I have a variety from last night's parade but not ready to take that sugary plunge just yet. I do have one of the jumbo vanilla ones that would be great microwaved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious...what BF are you targeting now?
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Just curious...what BF are you targeting now?

Trying to get to a healthy level which looks like 9% for an initial goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

Meal 1 - Chipotle Salad: Double chicken, black beans, veggies mild and medium salsa, cheese, quacamole on the side

Meal 2 - cottage cheese and banana

Meal 3 - Omlette: 6 Eggs, cheese, pineapple, spinach, veggies. Sweet Potato with walnuts, cinnamon & honey. Asparagus w/ mushrooms. Sometimes a piece of toast.

I remember that thread and I was worried about you from that disturbing post. My training is a level below an RD as a Nutritionist. May I suggest adding calories at meal 2. ~200-220 calories in the banana and cheese is insufficient. Bring meal 2 up to at least 400 calories by adding more fiber as well to keep you satiated. Basically, I am describing a salad for lunch. Add a different protein source than breakfast and dinner, so tuna is an easy addition.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 6"2 and at 140lbs, I identify with your plight. In my case, though, that's always been my weight, and I don't weigh myself with any regularity. Ahead of this summer's IM, I'm trying my best to gain a touch of weight and not lose what little muscle I've built up over the years.

I strongly recommend working with a dietician who will help you built a robust, balanced menu. Especially since you have a history of weight disorder, it's important not to categorise food under the "bad/good" dichotomy. Many dishes we consider unhealthy are actually quite healthy if made at home or by a high-quality shop rather than a fast-food chain. By chance, you mentioned three foods that are a staple in my household:

A good pizza is not an unhealthy dish. It's essentially a very thin open toast. Not talking about Pizza Hut greasy pizzas, obviously, but a thin Italian-style pizza. Thin bread, tomatoe, cheese and some topping? Where's the issue?

Same with burritos. A sandwich with beans, greens and veg, meat optional. Nothing wrong with that.

Same with pancakes. With all the egg, they give a nice whack of protein, to boot.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
How did you do that?
Why do you need to have a higher BF% objectively?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at adding some higher fat dairy. There are some pretty great tasting products out there. I am a bit of a yogurt whore. If mentally you are not ready to go to a full fat yogurt, there are lots of lower fat options!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was body fat measured?

Do you often get sick, injured, or tired?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got very few carbs and very little fat in the 'typical day'.
I'm surprised you aren't tired and sluggish unless you in keto.

So, as a simple pointer, eat more carbs (can keep them healthy, not white as a rule of thumb) and more fat - full fat diary, avocado.

Someone more qualified can help you with the detail.
Also, shift your carb eating, you seem to run your whole day on no carbs then eat them in the evening. Eat them in the morning/lunch and go lighter in the evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife makes a all natural home made granola cereal. With tons of nuts and seeds that help with that for me. Very high calorie content.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your responses. I am going to address everyone since you took the time to respond.

SallyShortyPnts wrote:
I remember that thread and I was worried about you from that disturbing post. My training is a level below an RD as a Nutritionist. May I suggest adding calories at meal 2. ~200-220 calories in the banana and cheese is insufficient. Bring meal 2 up to at least 400 calories by adding more fiber as well to keep you satiated. Basically, I am describing a salad for lunch. Add a different protein source than breakfast and dinner, so tuna is an easy addition.

Thanks for the tips. I love salad.

tessar wrote:
I strongly recommend working with a dietician who will help you built a robust, balanced menu. Especially since you have a history of weight disorder, it's important not to categorise food under the "bad/good" dichotomy. Many dishes we consider unhealthy are actually quite healthy if made at home or by a high-quality shop rather than a fast-food chain. By chance, you mentioned three foods that are a staple in my household:

A good pizza is not an unhealthy dish. It's essentially a very thin open toast. Not talking about Pizza Hut greasy pizzas, obviously, but a thin Italian-style pizza. Thin bread, tomatoe, cheese and some topping? Where's the issue?

Same with burritos. A sandwich with beans, greens and veg, meat optional. Nothing wrong with that.

I make very healthy versions of my fav's, but they arent high enough in calories and fat... and carbs apparently. Example Hamburgers. I use 94% lean beef and these things called sandwhich rounds. For one 1/4 pound burger with half slice of cheese - 295 Calories. Add to that a side of sweet potato fries (baked) ~220 Calories. That is a lot less calories and more healthy than a fast food burger.

Burritos, I use whole wheat. For pasta I use zucchini and spaghetti squash.

Pizza... That is my weakness. Last time was July of 2016 - My cheat meal for the year. I ate two large pizzas (from Pizza Hut) and only stopped cause I didnt want to look like a pig.

Thorax wrote:
How did you do that?
Why do you need to have a higher BF% objectively?

I did it by running a lot and eating less. Apparently, 9% is the low end of healthy fat % and my new goal is to be healthy not skinny.

Leavitt wrote:
Look at adding some higher fat dairy. There are some pretty great tasting products out there. I am a bit of a yogurt whore. If mentally you are not ready to go to a full fat yogurt, there are lots of lower fat options!

I love full fat greek yogurt and get ticked off that it is so hard to find. Everything in our supermarkets is 2% or non-fat. Fage Total w/ pumpkin puree, cinnamon, honey and walnuts is my sweet treat. I even make a faux stroganoff and use greek yogurt instead of all the cream, butter and flour.

I will look at eating more of it.

Francois wrote:
How was body fat measured?

Do you often get sick, injured, or tired?

BF was measured with 3-site and 7-site calipers over several days. Ranged from 3.7-4.3%. I never get sick or injured. Tired... I do have a hard time walking around outsitde of training sometimes. But not tired in "I want to sleep" terms.

tuckandgo wrote:
You got very few carbs and very little fat in the 'typical day'.

I'm surprised you aren't tired and sluggish unless you in keto.

So, as a simple pointer, eat more carbs (can keep them healthy, not white as a rule of thumb) and more fat - full fat diary, avocado.

Someone more qualified can help you with the detail.
Also, shift your carb eating, you seem to run your whole day on no carbs then eat them in the evening. Eat them in the morning/lunch and go lighter in the evening.

Man. I LOVE my sweet potato for dinner. I have one EVERY night. Cant tell you how much I love those things. I really like them baked so I can eat the skin.

I am very sluggish outside of training, and I will take your suggestion on the carbs. I really do need to start eating them again. I was never against them, so not sure what my problem is. As for avocado - YES! I just started doing some marketing for an Avocado farmer and asked him to pay me in organic avocados. Sounds silly, but I have got to try several different types over the past two weeks.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Feb 11, 18 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all a judgement, but have you considered that you might have an eating disorder? You're talking about gaining weight/fat but still eating salads. You said pizza is your weakness but haven't had any in over a year and when you did, you binged on it.

All the dietary suggestions in the world aren't going to help unless you address the underlying issues that are keeping you from making those changes. Not saying this is what's going on as I have limited info, but it's something to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two notes -

I would go find a place that offers "DEXA" based body fat scanning and get one done. It will be far more accurate than the caliper method. If you are in the LA or SF areas, check out bodyspec.com.

On adding body fat, you just need to eat more than you burn. It doesn't have to be more "fat" - as any excess will be converted to fat that can be stored. So if you don't like the tastes of various fats, you can easily eat more carbs and it'll have the same affect. I wouldn't go crazy though because your body may not adapt in the way you want - and could end up storing it all in your gut if you move too fast in this change.

Though 4% to me sounds fine. If you like your body and the way you look, why change something that so many people wish to have?
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
Not at all a judgement, but have you considered that you might have an eating disorder? You're talking about gaining weight/fat but still eating salads. You said pizza is your weakness but haven't had any in over a year and when you did, you binged on it.

All the dietary suggestions in the world aren't going to help unless you address the underlying issues that are keeping you from making those changes. Not saying this is what's going on as I have limited info, but it's something to consider.

Binging is why I now want to get healthy. I cant get full and I am tired of not getting full. I have been hungry for the past 3 years. There is really no limit to the amount of food I could eat in one sitting. After doing research on Leptin (the hormone that makes you feel full) and how it is stored in fat, I realized I have no fat and that is probably why I havent felt fullness in at least 3-4 years.

But yes, I have an eating disorder. This isnt going to be easy. But, overcoming is part of the fun of living.

daswafford wrote:
Two notes -

I would go find a place that offers "DEXA" based body fat scanning and get one done. It will be far more accurate than the caliper method. If you are in the LA or SF areas, check out bodyspec.com.

On adding body fat, you just need to eat more than you burn. It doesn't have to be more "fat" - as any excess will be converted to fat that can be stored. So if you don't like the tastes of various fats, you can easily eat more carbs and it'll have the same affect. I wouldn't go crazy though because your body may not adapt in the way you want - and could end up storing it all in your gut if you move too fast in this change.

Though 4% to me sounds fine. If you like your body and the way you look, why change something that so many people wish to have?

The closest Dexa place is 2.5 hours away. But, I think I am going to make the trip. I had already showed that to my wife last week. Id love to get that test along with an RMR test to get the real deal on my baseline caloric needs. Then, I will know exactly how many calories I need, including surplus to put on weight.

My gut is the fear. If I gain a pound. 99% is in my gut. My stomach in my obese days was around 50 inches. I was one of those guys you see with a rather skinny frame and then a huge belly.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Feb 11, 18 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Need to Increase Body Fat while IM Training. [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On adding body fat, you just need to eat more than you burn. It doesn't have to be more "fat" - as any excess will be converted to fat that can be stored.

I agree.

I wonder if you can gain weight by working on the other side of the equation. Maybe decrease the calories you burn-- sit for an additional 30 minutes a day? Maybe use your extraordinary self control to sit and count your blessings. I've never done this regularly (lacking self-control), but it might increase overall happiness and help you increase body fat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay I've got to ask how much marijuana do you smoke? Your username is spartan420 which is a pot reference? Seems like it would be a contributing factor to your eating problem?
Quote Reply

Prev Next